IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Plam fertilizers

Plantking165

Since palmgain was discontinued I've been trying different things this is my latest discovery, just put some around the palms today I put quite a bit I mean lots its slow release most of it so it shouldn't burn them. It has the macros and lots of micros too so this may be my new go to since palm gain will no longer be around.

rs=w_1200,h_1200 (1).jpeg

rs=w_1200,h_1200.jpeg

Palmgain is on Amazon for now in all sizes

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

2 minutes ago, Allen said:

Palmgain is on Amazon for now in all sizes

Yeah I saw it but I didn't wanna order it when it won't be continued I wanted to find something that was equally good and will be continued.

Just now, Plantking165 said:

Yeah I saw it but I didn't wanna order it when it won't be continued I wanted to find something that was equally good and will be continued.

It’s not discontinued

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

5 minutes ago, Allen said:

It’s not discontinued

Just looked into it apparently it's not well anyhow this fertilizer looks equally as good and has free shipping on all sizes so that's a plus.

8 minutes ago, Plantking165 said:

Just looked into it apparently it's not well anyhow this fertilizer looks equally as good and has free shipping on all sizes so that's a plus.

On their website it is close to twice the price of palmgain which itself has gone up

There’s multiple threads about PalmGain and it’s future but I spoke to the owner of BGI and she said because of all the price increases with fertilizer nowadays, she can’t sell it for what she used to. She can’t even mfg it for what she used to sell it for. 

She did say it will continue to be made but was ramping things up from the previous issues she was having. Long story short….it’s around and should be for the foreseeable future BUT, it’s definitely going to be more expensive for awhile. (Which means forever) 

-dale

1 minute ago, Billeb said:

There’s multiple threads about PalmGain and it’s future but I spoke to the owner of BGI and she said because of all the price increases with fertilizer nowadays, she can’t sell it for what she used to. She can’t even mfg it for what she used to sell it for. 

She did say it will continue to be made but was ramping things up from the previous issues she was having. Long story short….it’s around and should be for the foreseeable future BUT, it’s definitely going to be more expensive for awhile. (Which means forever) 

-dale

I paid 37 bucks for 7lbs of the perfect palm how much is that in palmgain terms?

21 minutes ago, Plantking165 said:

I paid 37 bucks for 7lbs of the perfect palm how much is that in palmgain terms?

Per instructions, You are going to use 4 cups of fertilizer ( above 90F) every 6 weeks for something like a Queen.  4 dry cups = 1.77 pounds. So Basically 1 medium palm tree per a summer is $37. 

This war is making growing palms pricey, and when it does come to an end, companies never lower their prices.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

I was buying 40 lb bags from a local Ag supply shop.  Don't remember brand or numbers.  Now I switch to HD and their 20 lb bag.  It's about the same price as the 40 lb bag w/the veterans discount.  Don't remember brand on numbers on that either.  But at 79 the 20 lb bag is a LOT EASIER to handle.  LOL

Just googled it:   https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-20-lb-All-Season-Ixora-and-Ornamental-Plant-Food-8-4-8-162227/203091189

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

These prices wont be coming down, inflation has been very high so I expect 50 lb bags will be $100 or more.  Bottom line every reputable economist will tell you that printing an extra 8 trillion means everything will cost more.   Gas may come down a little as it has risen above inflation levels but fertilizer at a 30% increase is about what can be expected for everything else.   The money supply has increased 22-31% each year 2020-2022 and they keep printing and spending.  This is an old story how inflation hits the middle and lower class and if you are young you do not know.  The upper class makes money off of economic instability, the rest get hit with "inflation paycuts".  Why is it suddenly that the media cant tell the people the historical facts about printing lots of money and how it spurs inflation I cannot explain.   If you want to be more fertilizer efficient, you can increase cation exchange of the soil, but I have decided to alter the way I fertilize palms as well.  Many palms will get minimal fertilizer those seriously dependent on micros will get more langbeinite(half the price of NPK fertilizer currently) and I will watch my palms to see what they can be happy with.  I am also going to continue putting down turface MVP in my sandy soil areas to maximize cation exchange permanently.  And a 180 day controlled release fertilizer will be much better than 60-90 day "slow release" efficiency/cost wise, so I will continue to use florikan but sparingly except for my palms that are particularly susceptible to micro deficiencies.  I remember the last time inflation was this bad, the end of Carter presidency it was terrible.  People learned how damaging inflation was back then, it seems many today do not, as they think the prices are coming down.   Get used to it, and plan accordingly as inflation is not slowing down according to the numbers.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

14 hours ago, Plantking165 said:

They are different formulas so that would need to be figured out but generally perfect palm was $5.28/pound and palm gain at $30 for 10 pounds on Amazon is $3/pound and both are 6 week fertilizers.  Free shipping on both if you have prime which many people have.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

These prices wont be coming down, inflation has been very high so I expect 50 lb bags will be $100 or more.  Bottom line every reputable economist will tell you that printing an extra 8 trillion means everything will cost more.   Gas may come down a little as it has risen above inflation levels but fertilizer at a 30% increase is about what can be expected for everything else.   The money supply has increased 22-31% each year 2020-2022 and they keep printing and spending.  This is an old story how inflation hits the middle and lower class and if you are young you do not know.  The upper class makes money off of economic instability, the rest get hit with "inflation paycuts".  Why is it suddenly that the media cant tell the people the historical facts about printing lots of money and how it spurs inflation I cannot explain.   If you want to be more fertilizer efficient, you can increase cation exchange of the soil, but I have decided to alter the way I fertilize palms as well.  Many palms will get minimal fertilizer those seriously dependent on micros will get more langbeinite(half the price of NPK fertilizer currently) and I will watch my palms to see what they can be happy with.  I am also going to continue putting down turface MVP in my sandy soil areas to maximize cation exchange permanently.  And a 180 day controlled release fertilizer will be much better than 60-90 day "slow release" efficiency/cost wise, so I will continue to use florikan but sparingly except for my palms that are particularly susceptible to micro deficiencies.  I remember the last time inflation was this bad, the end of Carter presidency it was terrible.  People learned how damaging inflation was back then, it seems many today do not, as they think the prices are coming down.   Get used to it, and plan accordingly as inflation is not slowing down according to the numbers.

Well said. 👍

-dale

• Upvote 1