IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's Happening To My Palm Tree?

keeppalmandcarryontreeing

Hi! 

This is my first time taking care of a palm tree. Lately, there have been brown spots appearing on it that look like rust and they are mostly on the top of the leaves. I don't know what the problem is. Can anyone with more experience help?

For more context: I don't know the type of palm tree as it wasn't bought. The seeds came from dates that were from Saudia Arabia. It's potted and I think there are 4+ seeds in it all sharing the same space. I don't think that might be the problem since they've been growing just fine. The palm tree grew up inside and then we took it outside during the spring and summer so it could get more sun. 

Here are the pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/k2a7Mmc

There's also something growing in the pot along with the palm tree (1st picture) but I don't know what it is. I'll be pulling it out soon.

Your palms look like phoenix dactylifera, are all those seedlings growing together in the same pot?

2 hours ago, keeppalmandcarryontreeing said:

The palm tree grew up inside and then we took it outside during the spring and summer so it could get more sun. 

This is probably your issue. Where do you live? What have your temperatures been like?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2022 at 3:56 PM, idontknowhatnametuse said:

Your palms look like phoenix dactylifera, are all those seedlings growing together in the same pot?

Yes, they are growing altogether.

Edited by keeppalmandcarryontreeing
Clarification

On 8/24/2022 at 4:59 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

This is probably your issue. Where do you live? What have your temperatures been like?

I live in the south of Canada. Usually our summers are really hot but since we had a long winter, this summer has been mild with its temperatures. The average range is from a low of 13 to a high of 27.  We also had a lot of rain and wind when we just pulled it out outside. What do you think its condition is and how should I fix it?

5 hours ago, keeppalmandcarryontreeing said:

I live in the south of Canada. Usually our summers are really hot but since we had a long winter, this summer has been mild with its temperatures. The average range is from a low of 13 to a high of 27.  We also had a lot of rain and wind when we just pulled it out outside. What do you think its condition is and how should I fix it?

I think it's sunburned. I mean there's a 50/50 chance I'm wrong but going from indoors directly to sun is probably the issue. 

• Upvote 2