IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis Madagascariensis type or hybrid?

Palmiz

I have this dypsis madagascarensis that has been a fast grower. It has an orange reddish tomentum.  Does someone have any idea what it could be? 

20220822_164140.jpg

20220822_164129.jpg

20220822_164114.jpg

• Upvote 1

Super pretty palm! I see a couple big spears to get excited about. I also love the cobblestone "plaque"! I may have to start doing that in my garden:greenthumb:

2 hours ago, Palmiz said:

I have this dypsis madagascarensis

When I think of Dypsis madagascarensis, I conjure an image of a more plumose palm than what you are showing.  The brown trunk color doesn't match the forms that I have seen, which tend to be more on the grey/green in color.  I have the "Mahajanga" form of Dypsis madagascarensis which has been one of my slowest growing palms.  I've tried to find the right spot in the garden for it, resulting in digging it out and moving it twice since I first planted it in 2015.  The leaflets are far narrower and its still a smaller plant than the one you show above.  While the leaflets or pinnae on your plant look a little irregular and not in one plane coming off the rachis, they also aren't as plumose or fluffy as I would expect based on the D madagascarensis I have seen.

That's a long way of saying while I don't know what your plant is, if it is a form of Dypsis madagascaraensis, then it is one I haven't seen yet or hasn't developed the adult characteristics I associate with the species.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

6 hours ago, Billy said:

Super pretty palm! I see a couple big spears to get excited about. I also love the cobblestone "plaque"! I may have to start doing that in my garden:greenthumb:

Yes it's becoming a pretty looking one definitely.  I went with acrylic painter marker from Amazonto write on cobblestones. Brand is voiskie extra fine tip. Seems to stay so far, it's only been 2.5 years and hasn't faded yet.  Also I wrote year, height and where I got it on the back also for extra 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tracy said:

When I think of Dypsis madagascarensis, I conjure an image of a more plumose palm than what you are showing.  The brown trunk color doesn't match the forms that I have seen, which tend to be more on the grey/green in color.  I have the "Mahajanga" form of Dypsis madagascarensis which has been one of my slowest growing palms.  I've tried to find the right spot in the garden for it, resulting in digging it out and moving it twice since I first planted it in 2015.  The leaflets are far narrower and its still a smaller plant than the one you show above.  While the leaflets or pinnae on your plant look a little irregular and not in one plane coming off the rachis, they also aren't as plumose or fluffy as I would expect based on the D madagascarensis I have seen.

That's a long way of saying while I don't know what your plant is, if it is a form of Dypsis madagascaraensis, then it is one I haven't seen yet or hasn't developed the adult characteristics I associate with the 

I thought so Tracy, most or all the madagascarensis i have seen are plumose also, this one is on one plane. I have what I believe is lucubensis and mahajanga in other spots but still are small also but not super slow. Maybe you need to try a new one, maybe you got a slow poke. Should be bigger than the one I have for 7years. Well we will see if anyone else has a guess thanks for the replies. 

51 minutes ago, TomJ said:

Looks like Pembana to me.

Possible hybrid pembana. The leaves look like it but wider than my other pembana and the base is also different, kinda triangular

Reminds me of a few palms that I have bought as Pembana when small but I believe are hybrids with some sort of Madagascariensis type Dypsis.  Seems like Madagascariensis is prone to hybridizing. 

Really nice looking, and fast! 

2 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Reminds me of a few palms that I have bought as Pembana when small but I believe are hybrids with some sort of Madagascariensis type Dypsis.  Seems like Madagascariensis is prone to hybridizing. 

Really nice looking, and fast! 

Sounds like a cool find, thanks everyone for the replies. Yes it is very fast one of my fastest and nice looking ones I have. If anyone has one of the same size or larger, It would be great to see yours please. If there are any other types of madagascariensis hybrids also I would like to see also

This is the leaf of a D Mad in my yard.

Non linear arrangement.

mad.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TomJ said:

This is the leaf of a D Mad in my yard.

Non linear arrangement.

mad.jpg

That's almost too wide of leaflet and to dense for madagascariensis in my opinion. This looks more like a prestoniana-solitary, right?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mandrew968 said:

That's almost too wide of leaflet and to dense for madagascariensis in my opinion. This looks more like a prestoniana-solitary, right?

I was thinking the same about how wide the leaflets are, maybe some sort of hybrid also. It does look like prestoniana 

11 hours ago, Palmiz said:

Sounds like a cool find, thanks everyone for the replies. Yes it is very fast one of my fastest and nice looking ones I have. If anyone has one of the same size or larger, It would be great to see yours please. If there are any other types of madagascariensis hybrids also I would like to see also

Here’s one that I’ve posted before. Kinda looks similar to yours regarding the coloring but mine is speckeled more on the trunk. This was planted out 1yr ago as a small 2G max. The trunk was very thin so it’s grown quite a bit. No clue what it is but it has the Hybrid vigor and it’s looking cool already. I think it’s gonna be awesome. We’ll see…

-dale EA15D14E-FDC7-41BC-840C-43F10AE1B181.thumb.jpeg.44d473ad1c48ae9175fc2c68b8ae61a7.jpeg3FEDAF89-922A-46EE-9520-BE381CC42E2C.thumb.jpeg.6a7037534f8d587f53a7f4b600530042.jpeg51E30178-44DA-4757-979D-0179BE2F4A3B.thumb.jpeg.8699a8de071e37e43ca4c252aef953d3.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Billeb said:

Here’s one that I’ve posted before. Kinda looks similar to yours regarding the coloring but mine is speckeled more on the trunk. This was planted out 1yr ago as a small 2G max. The trunk was very thin so it’s grown quite a bit. No clue what it is but it has the Hybrid vigor and it’s looking cool already. I think it’s gonna be awesome. We’ll see…

-dale EA15D14E-FDC7-41BC-840C-43F10AE1B181.thumb.jpeg.44d473ad1c48ae9175fc2c68b8ae61a7.jpeg3FEDAF89-922A-46EE-9520-BE381CC42E2C.thumb.jpeg.6a7037534f8d587f53a7f4b600530042.jpeg51E30178-44DA-4757-979D-0179BE2F4A3B.thumb.jpeg.8699a8de071e37e43ca4c252aef953d3.jpeg

Dale that looks like the brother. Looks almost the same size. Leaflets looks similar, I'll take a better pic tomorrow but I think it's the same. Mine was planted almost 2 years ago as 1 gal. Looks awesome already, should only get better from here. Yours might start to cluster too soon

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 8:41 AM, Palmiz said:

Possible hybrid pembana. The leaves look like it but wider than my other pembana and the base is also different, kinda triangular

My Pembana leaf structure looks way different. I don’t think mine is a Pembaba Hybrid. Looks too different to me. 

-dale

2BD407FD-CAD1-4ADE-A4F8-3681AB0F8CBE.jpeg

3C26F392-1438-495F-9FE2-E42E2E6867C3.jpeg

• Like 1

As Jason mentioned, D. madagascariensis seems to hybridize a lot. I have a tall one; my best guess is that it’s pembana/mad. It has a similar V shaped leaf to yours. Always been a great grower as well. Yours looks great and will get even better as is matures.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

My pembana looks similar to yours Dale, but younger. Pemb is also great fast grower too, starting to take now. I'd like to check out a pic of yours Brett when you get a chance. I just germinated pemb/mad seeds and seems to be the fastest grower of my seedlings. 

On 8/24/2022 at 1:05 PM, Billeb said:

Took a better pic of the leaflets, looks exactly the same.

20220825_100118.jpg

20220825_100100.jpg

• Like 2

Hmmm

might could maybe get lynched for this but 

@Palmizthat looks like a lanceolata or hybrid 

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

6 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Hmmm

🤣no lynching here Dave. I do see some characteristics of lanceolata now that you said that. The tomentum and the leaflet arrangement and curve at end of leaflet. Possibly lanceolata hybrid? Who knows

• Upvote 1

Here is my madagascariensis in all it's disheveledness. Once a year I just go in and start cutting until pieces start falling-at that point I can be a bit more judicious with the saw. 

Resized_20220826_111843.jpeg

Resized_20220826_111809.jpeg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mandrew968 said:

Here is my madagascariensis in all it's disheveledness. Once a year I just go in and start cutting until pieces start falling-at that point I can be a bit more judicious with the saw. 

Resized_20220826_111809.jpeg

That's a whole lotta Madagascariensis'ss very nicely grown. Can't wait til mine all get that size. Thanks for the pics

40 minutes ago, Mandrew968 said:

Here is my madagascariensis in all it's disheveledness.

The difference in ring spacing / growth rate is astonishing to me. Crazy how that can happen.  Sweet tree(s) none the less. 👏

-dale

22 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Hmmm

I was going to a suggest that or D. cabadae x D. mahajanga.

1 hour ago, IHB1979 said:

I was going to a suggest that or D. cabadae x D. mahajanga.

That would be interesting to see. Tried looking up any pics of that but not many. Only found 1 thread but pics were to blurry to see details. If anyone has one of those I would love to see pics. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 11:00 PM, Palmiz said:

Here are a few pictures of one of my smaller ones. This was planted a year ago from a 3 gallon pot. Bought as Pembana. There’s one large main palm and 4 smaller suckers. 
I’ll try to get photos of my larger one soon when the lighting is right. It’s probably 25 feet tall and seeding now. 
61E55BCE-3395-478B-BB47-CC854139CA2E.thumb.jpeg.8c1b67686994f4a387cebe233086e8dd.jpeg

08D2DDB9-63C3-4B56-9874-AE8228D64304.thumb.jpeg.426f76c85479b7e8f2f748f0b7b94dba.jpeg

FA364442-7FC2-4BA3-BED3-E94FAB456BD2.thumb.jpeg.0b732c7a57c9ff36a4f830e6d6c7230d.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Here’s my largest. Also bought this one as Pembana, but it was a 15 gallon plant when I got it. Hard to get a good photo since it’s so tall and I have to stand back a bit to get it. It’s behind the Marojejyi:

AE976EE9-AA1D-4A1B-9919-B2A867D08D7A.thumb.jpeg.f250d138b35b323e97c3ca82857c6368.jpeg

Quite the base on it and always fattening up and sending out new roots:

F5AD1B33-A0DA-4C28-BD0A-35087FB54578.thumb.jpeg.776d89c2eab52ea1a934f0ef4c470cf9.jpeg

and here’s a wider shot, mainly to showcase the Dypsis Prestoniana hybrid on the right!

0B39E5A7-1E04-43E9-BE7D-375682A9CBB1.thumb.jpeg.c0b2cfd580a2fdedaee18521fa6eff88.jpeg

The interesting thing about the Pembana hybrid is that it has a sucker that I have left (cut 2 others off) and the sucker is pure Pembana looking. Strange that the main / big one shows hybrid traits and the smaller does not. Maybe it’s not a sucker and was another seed in the pot?  I do see multiple planted Pembanas in pots for sale here so that could be it. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Jason for the very nice visuals. That's funny the sucker is regular pembana, very possibly may have been a straggler seed. The suckers on mine have all same characteristics so far. That base is huge, I always wanted to move it but was afraid it was too close to street curb. Didn't want the chance to kill it or set it back.  I wish I could grow a Marojejya, one of my favorites to see. Love that fat boy Prestoniana also! 

Welp….looks like there’s another in the ‘hood. Went into my neighbors back yard and snooped around. Noticed this gem sold to him as “Lanceolata”.  It was purchased from a different grower than where I purchased mine. 
Mine was actually sold to me as Lanceolata x Lutescens Hybrid so as @DoomsDave suggested, maybe there is some Lanceolata in there?!?! Neighbor confirmed hybrid vigor as its grown shockingly well in the year+ he’s had it. 
Just wanted to muddy the waters a little more….🤣

-dale 

A9CC13C2-6978-4796-9E74-DDCE30A2FD6E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Billeb said:

Welp….looks like there’s another in the ‘hood. Went into my neighbors back yard and snooped around. Noticed this gem sold to him as “Lanceolata”.  It was purchased from a different grower than where I purchased mine. 
Mine was actually sold to me as Lanceolata x Lutescens Hybrid so as @DoomsDave suggested, maybe there is some Lanceolata in there?!?! Neighbor confirmed hybrid vigor as its grown shockingly well in the year+ he’s had it. 
Just wanted to muddy the waters a little more….🤣

-dale 

A9CC13C2-6978-4796-9E74-DDCE30A2FD6E.jpeg

Very nice find, interesting to see how they look when they start trunking, can't wait. Thanks guys for sharing 📸 

• 1 month later...

Noticed this morning that my tree is growing an offspring. Tried to zoom in to get a better picture but the coloring is not as you would see on a Baronii, it is actually tomentum ala Leptochilios or Dacaryi so it’s a fuzzy one. Does not confirm anything other than my particular tree is a clumper. Exciting tho I guess. 

-dale 

D54F6319-E467-402F-A149-086B33EEF902.jpeg

136580A7-46AA-4D4E-906F-9C588B61CA26.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billeb said:

Noticed this morning that my tree is growing an offspring. Tried to zoom in to get a better picture but the coloring is not as you would see on a Baronii, it is actually tomentum ala Leptochilios or Dacaryi so it’s a fuzzy one. Does not confirm anything other than my particular tree is a clumper. Exciting tho I guess. 

-dale 

D54F6319-E467-402F-A149-086B33EEF902.jpeg

136580A7-46AA-4D4E-906F-9C588B61CA26.jpeg

Very nice! I bet it gets more before you know it. It's  gonna be an awesome clumper for sure. It would be nice to know if it was related to leptocheilos or decaryi. The base on mine does show a triangular shape to it but might lose it when it stretches up. We will 👀 

To me it's very similar to what I belive is a hybrid of pembana x something that's I've had for a number of years. It's fast; it sent out a single offshoot years ago (good thing since the main palm sucumbed to frost a couple years ago). V shaped leaf; not the irregular madagascariensis type. A plum colored growing "push". A nice palm for sure 

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

3 hours ago, quaman58 said:

To me it's very similar to what I belive is a hybrid of pembana x something that's I've had for a number of years. It's fast; it sent out a single offshoot years ago (good thing since the main palm sucumbed to frost a couple years ago). V shaped leaf; not the irregular madagascariensis type. A plum colored growing "push". A nice palm for sure 

Bret……you could be right. The thing is a rocket, as is my Pembana. But definitely has different shaped leaflets. The tomentum is a bonus as far as I’m concerned. Just makes it look more interesting but harder to determine it’s mother and father.  Thanks for the input. 

-dale 

• 3 months later...

Found another one of these hybrids in a friend's yard, the leaflets looked thinner on this one. Must be plenty more out there!

20230114_083650.jpg

20230114_083703.jpg

• Like 1

Thought is would add this one too. There are different types of madagascariensis. Can someone tell what type this one is?

20230114_085034.jpg

22 hours ago, Palmiz said:

Thought is would add this one too. There are different types of madagascariensis. Can someone tell what type this one is?

20230114_085034.jpg

It reminds me a bit of what I got as Dypsis "Majajonga", which is just a now a type of Chrysalidocarpus madagascarensis last I heard.  They are supposed to be an easy grow, but it has struggled like no other living Chrysalidocarpus/Dypsis in my garden.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

32 minutes ago, Tracy said:

It reminds me a bit of what I got as Dypsis "Majajonga", which is just a now a type of Chrysalidocarpus madagascarensis last I heard.  They are supposed to be an easy grow, but it has struggled like no other living Chrysalidocarpus/Dypsis in my garden.

Thanks Tracy,  it did look like it was struggling. I was telling him he should put it in the ground this spring.