IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First hardy palm in my garden (6b)

ThePole

I am so proud to present my first palm in soil. Chamareops humilis, central Poland, 6b hardiness zone.

In winter it will be externally heated. I plan to use light bulb or a heating wire. Any advices? 

Ps. A Trachycarpus will join next spring.

20220821_144640.jpg

20220821_144607.jpg

Edited by ThePole
  • Like 10

6 hours ago, ThePole said:

Any advices?

Looks great!  On cold nights if you get any rain/snow I would also cover the top of the palm to keep it dry.  Chamaerops are sensitive to cold dampness in their crown.

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

@ThePole Welcome to Palm Talk !!! A large trash can would easily cover entire palm. Its first winter in the ground will be its hardest. Unfortunately in 6b you will have to protect at some point every winter. Good luck tho 

T J 

• Upvote 1

T J 

11 hours ago, Fusca said:

Looks great!  On cold nights if you get any rain/snow I would also cover the top of the palm to keep it dry.  Chamaerops are sensitive to cold dampness in their crown.

27 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@ThePole Welcome to Palm Talk !!! A large trash can would easily cover entire palm. Its first winter in the ground will be its hardest. Unfortunately in 6b you will have to protect at some point every winter. Good luck tho 

T J 

Thank you both!

So here many people use white agrotextile (couple layers) with a heating wire, or a light bulb, or even Christmas lights.

I know that for smaller palms some people used plastic boxes and candles. The type of candles that are used at cementaries, that keep can stay fired for 10 days. 

Although, people usually use polycarbonate to build the boxes and make some sort of windows to prevent rotting.

I'll see maybe I'll use a plastic bucket and a light bulb or something similar... last winter the coldest it got here was -7C, so not that bad I guess.

I use a thermocube and the small Christmas lights plus I wrap my Fourtuni with a burlap wrap then cover with a frost cloth and tarp. Nice chamaerops 

• Upvote 1