IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First try...

Palmlover_78

Hey guys 

this is my first attempt of growing a Christmas palm from seed. It will be two years old in October. It’s already starting it’s fourth multi leafed fond. How does it look?

thanks 🙂

B1EE74F5-AEA2-4A06-8C75-19FA6D4423E7.jpeg

BB438D25-4E8A-4021-A2CB-D3B1EC119940.jpeg

DA6ECDCF-6A10-4536-93CD-C4B15C4DA38A.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Palmlover_78 said:

Hey guys 

this is my first attempt of growing a Christmas palm from seed. It will be two years old in October. It’s already starting it’s fourth multi leafed fond. How does it look?

thanks 🙂

B1EE74F5-AEA2-4A06-8C75-19FA6D4423E7.jpeg

BB438D25-4E8A-4021-A2CB-D3B1EC119940.jpeg

DA6ECDCF-6A10-4536-93CD-C4B15C4DA38A.jpeg

Looks amazing and very cool it's fully indoor grown, do you think it would of got to this size quicker if it were in a hotter climate? I also recongize that grow light, my plants and palms love those bulbs :D

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Looks amazing and very cool it's fully indoor grown, do you think it would of got to this size quicker if it were in a hotter climate? I also recongize that grow light, my plants and palms love those bulbs :D

Hey 😄, I actually don’t know, I would imagine so, unfortunately our night temps are just to cold , for these guys, rarely does the mercury stay above 14 c. Day time temps are good though, however wind mill palms a Pygmy LOVE our summer climate. The windmill is only four  years old , the Pygmy about six. If you want an excellent cheap grow light I also recommend these. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

75CBADCA-6A57-4926-8666-3E1DB5024026.jpeg

DA6980A2-39B8-483A-A9D5-EC957E6E3723.jpeg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Palmlover_78 said:

Hey 😄, I actually don’t know, I would imagine so, unfortunately our night temps are just to cold , for these guys, rarely does the mercury stay above 14 c. Day time temps are good though, however wind mill palms a Pygmy LOVE our summer climate. The windmill is only four  years old , the Pygmy about six. If you want an excellent cheap grow light I also recommend these. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

75CBADCA-6A57-4926-8666-3E1DB5024026.jpeg

DA6980A2-39B8-483A-A9D5-EC957E6E3723.jpeg

I'll have to remember those grow lights, I've been buying exclusively haus lightbulbs because I trust them and get good results, I'm always scard to buy those LED lights you see on amazon but I know eventually I'm gonna buy one of those huge LED panels!

I really want a pygmy so bad, that's a top palm on my list to get but nobody sells them around here and my trial with seeds failed because I followed a guy on youtube that grew his in sand mine just died :indifferent:

Do you stick your christmas palms outside and bring them inside or do they just remain indoors at all times?

It depends, if the nights get to about 12c/54f,  then yes, but it is rather a pain in the @ss every night. I have a double that isn't doing the hottest being outside all summer day and night. I will see how it fairs over winter inside. I will let ya know :D. Zone3b summers are not known to be overly hot, average day time highs from July to August are about 25c/77f. We have A LOT of Americans who come up here for Vacations, Fishing, Camping and the abundant amounts of Nature. Most of them say especially from the warmer States ,say they can't believe how much they like it. In my town we have as far as I know, 5 American families.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Palmlover_78 said:

It depends, if the nights get to about 12c/54f,  then yes, but it is rather a pain in the @ss every night. I have a double that isn't doing the hottest being outside all summer day and night. I will see how it fairs over winter inside. I will let ya know :D. Zone3b summers are not known to be overly hot, average day time highs from July to August are about 25c/77f. We have A LOT of Americans who come up here for Vacations, Fishing, Camping and the abundant amounts of Nature. Most of them say especially from the warmer States ,say they can't believe how much they like it. In my town we have as far as I know, 5 American families.

Sounds very similar to when my family went up to michigan one summer, I can imagine the climate difference isn't to different but the summers aren't as scortchingly hot as they are down here and they loved it. I don't mind the heat because without it, growing palms is tricky and who doesn't like a palm that you can plant and just water and not put much effort in during winter :floor:

Honestly If I could I'd keep my coconut inside all the time because I enjoy seeing it but I know without heat and rain I get 1 frond every 1 and half months

I'm always tempted to throw my majesty into the ground as an experiment but it would be toast :floor:

7 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I'll have to remember those grow lights, I've been buying exclusively haus lightbulbs because I trust them and get good results, I'm always scard to buy those LED lights you see on amazon but I know eventually I'm gonna buy one of those huge LED panels!

I really want a pygmy so bad, that's a top palm on my list to get but nobody sells them around here and my trial with seeds failed because I followed a guy on youtube that grew his in sand mine just died :indifferent:

Do you stick your christmas palms outside and bring them inside or do they just remain indoors at all times?

I got my Pygmy from our Lowe's , There must be a Lowe's near you?....they always stock them :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Sounds very similar to when my family went up to michigan one summer, I can imagine the climate difference isn't to different but the summers aren't as scortchingly hot as they are down here and they loved it. I don't mind the heat because without it, growing palms is tricky and who doesn't like a palm that you can plant and just water and not put much effort in during winter :floor:

Honestly If I could I'd keep my coconut inside all the time because I enjoy seeing it but I know without heat and rain I get 1 frond every 1 and half months

I'm always tempted to throw my majesty into the ground as an experiment but it would be toast :floor:

That is how fast my Windmill grows in it's pot, My Windmill puts out about 8 Fronds a year :), The Pygmy about 5. Majesty Palms are annuals :P. Northern States are not all that much different then us Climate Wise, the warmest spot in Canada is zone 8b Vancouver BC. I wouldn't mind Winter if they weren't so dam dull, bitterly cold and lllloooonnnggggg :P

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Palmlover_78 said:

I got my Pygmy from our Lowe's , There must be a Lowe's near you?....they always stock them :)

They never stock them at my lowes, I never see them except in the winter once and they shoved them on the dying plant rack and none healthy or living or saveable

7 hours ago, Palmlover_78 said:

That is how fast my Windmill grows in it's pot, My Windmill puts out about 8 Fronds a year :), The Pygmy about 5. Majesty Palms are annuals :P. Northern States are not all that much different then us Climate Wise, the warmest spot in Canada is zone 8b Vancouver BC. I wouldn't mind Winter if they weren't so dam dull, bitterly cold and lllloooonnnggggg :P

I love winter, I was thinking of getting corigated plastic to put over my plants this winter just to keep ice out of the crown if it happens but not full protection 🤠

3 hours ago, ZPalms said:

They never stock them at my lowes, I never see them except in the winter once and they shoved them on the dying plant rack and none healthy or living or saveable

I love winter, I was thinking of getting corigated plastic to put over my plants this winter just to keep ice out of the crown if it happens but not full protection 🤠

Our winters are far to cold and long for anything like that, if anything we use Burlap to wrap our Junipers.  We have strong very cold winds, it is that, what burns the trees. If ya want more palm info and ppl to talk to, I belong on this Forum https://www.facebook.com/groups/InternationalPalmSociety/

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 11:34 AM, Palmlover_78 said:

Our winters are far to cold and long for anything like that, if anything we use Burlap to wrap our Junipers.  We have strong very cold winds, it is that, what burns the trees. If ya want more palm info and ppl to talk to, I belong on this Forum https://www.facebook.com/groups/InternationalPalmSociety/

I barely touch facebook, facebook is yucky to me 😂

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I barely touch facebook, facebook is yucky to me 😂

Well Then......😝

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 11:23 AM, ZPalms said:

My setup for Indoor Squad is super ghetto. I ordered a floor lamp from target with the little "reading lamp" arm, and they sent me 2. I just put some full spectrum GE grow bulbs in the arm. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

My setup for Indoor Squad is super ghetto. I ordered a floor lamp from target with the little "reading lamp" arm, and they sent me 2. I just put some full spectrum GE grow bulbs in the arm. 

I have a pvc pipe cube with haus grow lights and pendant lights to adjust height as needed, It's super ugly but it gets the job done 💀

8 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

I have a pvc pipe cube with haus grow lights and pendant lights to adjust height as needed, It's super ugly but it gets the job done 💀

Got pics? I'm in an apartment so I can't put holes in the ceiling, and I legit had no idea I'd go so crazy with plants. It all started with something to add some color and life to a depressing bachelor pad and now it's a legit jungle. 

• Like 1

I bought some Christmas palm seeds on ebay about 3 years ago. They were easy to germinate. I had mine on a heatmat and lights. I lost one first early fall, didn't get it in soon enough. The second also got damaged to much to recover on the spring when I set it out. I'm in 7a and I've had my Bismarckia for starting I think 4th year. It's growing but I'll bring it in late Sept. It's a easy winter keeper. My basement stays mud 60s. Best of luck the Christmas palms are awesome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZPalms said:

My $40 setup lol. The bulb is heavy so I had to use duct tape to support it. But this setup is what's fueled my monster Cat Palm.  

IMG_20220823_190706.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Got pics? I'm in an apartment so I can't put holes in the ceiling, and I legit had no idea I'd go so crazy with plants. It all started with something to add some color and life to a depressing bachelor pad and now it's a legit jungle. 

I’ll have to clean my room up and I’ll take photos of it, I made the structure to enclose my coconut in a warm environment but I never put the plastic up so it just became a shell, I wish I made it taller