IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Boron deficiency

Plantking165

I know boron deficiency can cause hookleaf im not necessarily seeing that but in the mid area of the new leaflets they are bent im pretty sure a new spear opens and grows straight leaflets so is it boron deficiency or something else? whatever it is it's mild fornow.

20220819_081544.jpg

Here’s a little boron deficiency on a Cat Palm.   Probably from heavy rain in early June.  Just a single leaf event with no treatment.   

9D0828DF-F137-4BD7-A330-2D73B39DD072.thumb.jpeg.41f2fa1448de97f94c7db7c4f655f46e.jpeg

B0C95F3A-B92D-4F36-8E9E-EACD8E789438.thumb.jpeg.2919462a2a5bdcd50549bdfdf546d549.jpeg

You frond doesn’t look bad.  Is it hot and dry your way?  It is here.  Spear have been very slow to open.  We had a good rain this week, and several spears finally opened up in the yard.   I seem some areas of Florida getting great rains, but not here the past 2 months. 

I wonder if you give it a good soak with the hose if it would inflate the leaf?  (If you guys are running dry)

Edited by Looking Glass

1 hour ago, Looking Glass said:

Here’s a little boron deficiency on a Cat Palm.   Probably from heavy rain in early June.  Just a single leaf event with no treatment.   

9D0828DF-F137-4BD7-A330-2D73B39DD072.thumb.jpeg.41f2fa1448de97f94c7db7c4f655f46e.jpeg

B0C95F3A-B92D-4F36-8E9E-EACD8E789438.thumb.jpeg.2919462a2a5bdcd50549bdfdf546d549.jpeg

You frond doesn’t look bad.  Is it hot and dry your way?  It is here.  Spear have been very slow to open.  We had a good rain this week, and several spears finally opened up in the yard.   I seem some areas of Florida getting great rains, but not here the past 2 months. 

I wonder if you give it a good soak with the hose if it would inflate the leaf?  (If you guys are running dry)

I water if we don't get rain and it's rained the past 2 days or so. Just bent leaflets that shouldn't be bent hopefully it corrects itself 

1 hour ago, Plantking165 said:

I water if we don't get rain and it's rained the past 2 days or so. Just bent leaflets that shouldn't be bent hopefully it corrects itself 

Jeeze, my typing on the iPad sucks.  

It doesn’t seem that bad.  I get some various funky leaves here and there.  I wonder what causes them, but mostly they turn out to be no big deal.  Growing outdoors, vs greenhouse and idealized specimens, I think.  The sun is always blazing, and wind blowing, and bugs biting, and fungus fungusing, and ground moisture is highly variable by the day.  

My D. leptocheilos get weird leaflets, folded down the midline sometimes, but still double-spear on the regular, growing fast. 

I wouldn’t worry too much.  That guy looks pretty happy.   Maybe you should just get 50 more palms.  (I’m working on that)  That way you’ll have so many, you won’t have time to worry about all the little issues in each one.  

Like when people say, “Have some more kids, so they can entertain each other”, or “Get a 2nd dog, it’s not any more work”.  Lol!…..        L. O. L…

40395D4D-15B0-4E70-8758-D385503D574D.png.bb6a6ba74b3eb73d7cb28caf67c3202a.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Looking Glass said:

Jeeze, my typing on the iPad sucks.  

It doesn’t seem that bad.  I get some various funky leaves here and there.  I wonder what causes them, but mostly they turn out to be no big deal.  Growing outdoors, vs greenhouse and idealized specimens, I think.  The sun is always blazing, and wind blowing, and bugs biting, and fungus fungusing, and ground moisture is highly variable by the day.  

My D. leptocheilos get weird leaflets, folded down the midline sometimes, but still double-spear on the regular, growing fast. 

I wouldn’t worry too much.  That guy looks pretty happy.   Maybe you should just get 50 more palms.  (I’m working on that)  That way you’ll have so many, you won’t have time to worry about all the little issues in each one.  

Like when people say, “Have some more kids, so they can entertain each other”, or “Get a 2nd dog, it’s not any more work”.  Lol!…..        L. O. L…

40395D4D-15B0-4E70-8758-D385503D574D.png.bb6a6ba74b3eb73d7cb28caf67c3202a.png

Yeah I've currently got 3 different coconuts I'm caring for this one looks poor in condition right now because everything is dying off the new leaves look ok its been growing that new spear that opening now for almost 3 months the fungal issues are running rampit all Over it, the other 2 have some of the same issues but are growing a new spear every month and look better by far.  ill have to get pics to display everything in the morning but I'm hoping it pulls through because the other 2 I'm not too worried for but this one is getting more concerning by the week.