IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Philodendrons

piping plovers

41 minutes ago, Xenon said:

tissue cultured spiritus sancti flooded the market about a year ago so that's why the price tanked. The only things retaining value somewhat are the chimeric variegated aroids (especially novel mutations). 

Ah, thanks for the information.  That makes sense.  I wonder if the tissue culture derived plants will mature to same quality as the seed grown and vegetative cuttings. Time will tell I guess…

21 hours ago, Marie Nock said:

What I've found important in caring for spiritus sancti is never bend or break their roots.  If a root is bent, it will die and sometimes the whole plant dies. Unfortunately I'm speaking from experience.  So, it's important as they're growing to guide the roots within the pot rather than letting them attach to the bench or something else outside the pot that will make it difficult to step the plant up into a larger pot when the time comes.

Attached is a photo of a survivor.  I'm also growing out some seedlings and am learning they like to live on the drier side.

Philo ss.jpg

You are my favorite source for information like this Marie. Your experience as a grower is invaluable

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Piping plovers - my spiritus sancti was about half the size of the plant you just got and that was about 7 or 8 years ago.  I don't push the plants with liquid fertilizer; they have to be satisfied with time release.

Thanks, Gina.  I don't believe in keeping grower secrets.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Marie Nock said:

my spiritus sancti was about half the size of the plant you just got and that was about 7 or 8 years ago.  I don't push the plants with liquid fertilizer; they have to be satisfied with time release.

Thank you Marie. I have read that they were slow growing but that seems like a really good growth rate you achieved. I’m sure the plant is quite happy in south FL growing conditions as well!

• 1 month later...

I'm hoping to get an id on the smaller plant in the pink pot.  I acquired this in the house plant section of a local nursery's greenhouse with no id's on it.  The larger plant looks like what I have previously purchased from the same nursery as "Congo Rojo".  At the time I acquired it, I didn't know if the smaller plant with the yellow on it was just an immature offset or a different plant potted in the same pot.  Since it has retained the appearance over several months, I assume it is a different Philodendron now.  Thoughts on id??  When we get into late winter and early spring, I will drop this into the ground or into a larger pot.

20221126-BH3I9532.jpg

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

I'm hoping to get an id on the smaller plant in the pink pot.  I acquired this in the house plant section of a local nursery's greenhouse with no id's on it.  The larger plant looks like what I have previously purchased from the same nursery as "Congo Rojo".  At the time I acquired it, I didn't know if the smaller plant with the yellow on it was just an immature offset or a different plant potted in the same pot.  Since it has retained the appearance over several months, I assume it is a different Philodendron now.  Thoughts on id??  When we get into late winter and early spring, I will drop this into the ground or into a larger pot.

Philodendron 'Birkin'

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Silver Cloud cv.

P1030045.thumb.JPG.587efb0136080bcf0830e54d19d06ccd.JPG

• Like 5

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

You do not often see the flowers on Philos ,.. Silver Cloud has pure white 1s 

P1030074.JPG

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Attached my Philodendron patriciae and Philodendron esmeraldense to moss poles a few months ago. Each put out a leave this winter.  Hoping to get some good growth on them in the coming growing season.

Philodendron patriciae (L) and Philodendron esmeraldense (R):

ED61DBF6-7FF3-494D-BA99-C8E92F96669D.thumb.jpeg.12fe422de5c5d109659487a448c8afe0.jpeg

• Like 2

I was recently in Hawaii and snapped this photo of Philodendron holtonianum in a friend's garden.

Philo holtonianum 2.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Marie Nock said:

I was recently in Hawaii and snapped this photo of Philodendron holtonianum in a friend's garden.

What an interesting  leaf form on that philodendron, Marie. I would have been tricked into thinking it was one of the finger-lobed types of anthuriums had you not mentioned it is a philodendron.

2 hours ago, piping plovers said:

What an interesting  leaf form on that philodendron, Marie. I would have been tricked into thinking it was one of the finger-lobed types of anthuriums had you not mentioned it is a philodendron.

Anthurium tortum has a leaf shape that's quite similar.  The texture is different though.

Anthurium tortum.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Marie Nock said:

Anthurium tortum has a leaf shape that's quite similar.  The texture is different though.

Sorry, I should have said Anthurium furcatum not tortum.

Anthurium tortum.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marie Nock said:

Sorry, I should have said Anthurium furcatum not tortum.

Thank you for sharing that information, Marie. Always something new to learn in these forums.  And yes, how interesting seeing the texture on this anthurium.  Appears that the middle lobe even differs from the other lobes in the direction of venation.

This host tree has to go ,...dropping tons of massive viable seed pods ..has tortum , Bette Waturbury , wurdackii and a few others on it 

P1030413.JPG

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 8:43 AM, Tracy said:

20221126-BH3I9532.jpg

I just noticed this post from a few months back and thought I would add a bit more info. The plant is technically called "Birkin" but is jokingly referred to as a "Revirkin" as in "Reverting Birkin".

Birkin is derived from "Rojo Congo" and the first Birkins sold for a lot of money. Unfortunately it was discovered that they had a nasty tendency to revert back to Rojo Congo... which isn't neccessarily bad (it's a nice plant)... but disappointing if you were hoping for a Birkin.

Here's mine, which is currently showing some amazing variegation (but will likely revert completely soon). My current plan is to separate the reverting top from the Birkin bottom with the hope that they might develop separately, but either way I'm enjoying the cool variegation for now... even though it's likely just temporary.

birkin.thumb.jpg.67313dcba2fcf0101b2332cf8612fde2.jpg

Why do some Birkins revert? Some think it happens more often in low light situations, so if you can give yours more light maybe try that first. But it's more likely just a genetic desire of the plant to want to revert. If I'm successfully able to get the base of mine back to "Birkin" status after separating the two halves of the plant I'll post an update. 

Edited by iDesign
  • Like 2

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

• 1 month later...

I’m a little behind the times on the hot and “it” aroids but I keep seeing these featured on YouTube videos as houseplants and decided to try them. Philodendron verrucosum and Philodendron melanochrysum.  Pictured below, respectively.  Arrived from ecuagenera Fl. I plan to try them on moss poles.

IMG_6786.thumb.jpeg.34deaae4f748d84a53f5425d61fa992f.jpeg

IMG_6784.thumb.jpeg.6f526c08656e9dc77ed6c266dd033c31.jpeg

I'll share what I do when growing P. verrucosum.  Mealy bugs seem to love them and they secure themselves in the hairy petioles making them difficult to clean out.  So, I use a systemic pesticide in the soil and it keeps the mealy bugs away.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Marie Nock said:

I'll share what I do when growing P. verrucosum.  Mealy bugs seem to love them and they secure themselves in the hairy petioles making them difficult to clean out.  So, I use a systemic pesticide in the soil and it keeps the mealy bugs away.

Hi Marie, and thank you for sharing that advice; I’ll definitely plan for that.  Yes, I imagine combing out those mealy bugs with a q tip and alcohol would become very tedious.

Yea Yea, lol ..While no longer considered a "Philodendron",  post-worthy anyway for the simple fact that this is the largest, outdoor-grown  Selloum i've ever observed in a residential yard in the area to date..

Found it while looking for some other stuff nearby on G.E.  Did a quick drive by this morning. Have seen only one other specimen, not too far from this one, and it is smaller in size ( ..but in more sun ) Will have to check on it again later. Passed it fairly regularly to and from work awhile back.

IMG_1315.thumb.JPG.fcdca9719e85e491598d53af639634af.JPG

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Yea Yea, lol ..While no longer considered a "Philodendron",  post-worthy anyway for the simple fact that this is the largest, outdoor-grown  Selloum i've ever observed in a residential yard in the area to date..

And that is a beautiful specimen.  I still own one that I bought as a kid, it is over 45 years old now and I still call it a Philodendron selloum.  I’m taking that they are uncommon to find growing outdoors this large in your area .

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, piping plovers said:

And that is a beautiful specimen.  I still own one that I bought as a kid, it is over 45 years old now and I still call it a Philodendron selloum.  I’m taking that they are uncommon to find growing outdoors this large in your area .

Pretty sure the ones planted at my grandparents in San Jose ( ..think they were planted in the 70's ) are still there.  Tough as nails for sure.

Yes, quite a rare sight here, at least in your typical yard. I'm sure some of the fancy resort places in places like Scottsdale / nearby areas up there probably have specimens on their properties too.

For the most part,  anything with big leaves like this can quickly turn to a pile of crispy burn plant material when exposed to 105-110F+ heat / 5-20% humidity + wind April - July ( ..or until late September / mid-October  if it is a dry year Monsoon-wise ) The " tucked in a low spot, on the east side of a large, tree with fairly dense canopy " ( Brachychiton populneus in this case )  exposure is probably the most ideal for growing plants like this here. House may provide some amount of shade at the height of summer during the afternoon too / help lessen exposure to the drying, southwesterly wind on windy days this time of year ( Days like that here = Picture sitting in front of a giant Hair Dryer, set on high ).  Brutal on anything w/ tender leaves / growth.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Picture sitting in front of a giant Hair Dryer, set on high ).  Brutal on anything w/ tender leaves / growth.

Yes that visual says it all.  Astounding, the contrast in humidity levels between US southeast and southwest. I think all the advertising glossy shots of the finest AZ resorts and their $$ landscaping had me thinking otherwise.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, piping plovers said:

Yes that visual says it all.  Astounding, the contrast in humidity levels between US southeast and southwest. I think all the advertising glossy shots of the finest AZ resorts and their $$ landscaping had me thinking otherwise.  

Not the nicest of climates for tender leaved things for sure but, with a little planning,  you can pull off growing some of those things, just maybe not on a huge scale  ...and you don't need to use the same amount of water the resorts probably use to have a similar looking landscape.

• Like 1

They are remarkably tough, cold hardy too. I remember seeing a Facebook post in the zone-pushing group with a decades-old large specimen somewhere near Birmingham, AL. It had died back to the ground several times but always recovered and was a similar size as that one. 

Edited by aabell
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/11/2023 at 10:57 PM, piping plovers said:

Attached my Philodendron patriciae and Philodendron esmeraldense to moss poles a few months ago. Each put out a leave this winter.  Hoping to get some good growth on them in the coming growing season.

Philodendron patriciae (L) and Philodendron esmeraldense (R):

ED61DBF6-7FF3-494D-BA99-C8E92F96669D.thumb.jpeg.12fe422de5c5d109659487a448c8afe0.jpeg

Going into autumn this might be the last big growth push on these young philodendrons until next summer.  My P.  patriciae just put out a 23” leaf. The texture is so satiny smooth.  Beyond what I imagined this plant would look like “in person.”    Photos with hardening new leaf of the Anthurium veitchii suspended above.

IMG_7777.thumb.jpeg.49de066f30d9efbb0d25577aba61723d.jpeg

IMG_7778.thumb.jpeg.3feb18e59fbf152df588e81d2509b9c0.jpeg

IMG_7779.thumb.jpeg.c841394ae477d1199eabc083a482522d.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Philodendron stenolobum - new to the trade?

Here’s a new one for my eyes.  Not sure if this species is new to the nursery trade but I don’t recall ever seeing them.  Found them at a really nice nursery in Davie, FL on Flamingo Rd.  I visit the nursery every time I’m in the area.

Immediately gave me P. Billietiae vibes as I could tell immediately the leaves were too wide to be P. spiritus-sancti.  Really attractive species with that P. Selloum  growth habit.

IMG_8143.thumb.jpeg.c0c5a0ef869b064f79d7398c2485eefd.jpeg

IMG_8144.thumb.jpeg.da7f9f75369cb723521665a8c30fbae9.jpeg

IMG_8146.thumb.jpeg.2b513074abf07f4dbba78cca4a57afe8.jpeg

IMG_8147.thumb.jpeg.585c2e8dd75f5a24b492f0bba1707738.jpeg

No, not new. Been around some time. This is narrow form, there is a wide form too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, metalfan said:

No, not new. Been around some time. This is narrow form, there is a wide form too

Ah, interesting to know there are two forms as well.

45 minutes ago, GeneAZ said:

This is what most consider the narrow form.

And that photo…wow, I could see the general public easily being duped into buying this narrow-form version of the species thinking they were purchasing a P. spiritus-sancti at the PSS prices (back when they were exorbitant not too long ago).  It really gives me PSS vibes. 

Awesome pictures ok iam going to ask does anyone know of cold tolerance of philodendron and anthurium 

As you know by my previous posts, I grow in a greenhouse. I have hundreds of plants in there, aroids of all types, species, hybrids, palms, orchid. I don't know how cold I gets where you live in Australia. Here in FL zone 9A, we can get to 20F on rare occasions. It used to be common to get to the low to mid-20's every winter more than once. But in recent years due to climate change, it may be once, maybe twice, or not at all. Sometimes just once a winter, but then it may be a hard freeze (below 28F for more than 2 hours).

My GH is large for a home hobby house, 1750 sq ft approx. I would love to keep it at 65-70F at night, but I would not be able to afford the propane to do that. For 22 years, I have kept the GH at a minimum of 45F in winter. Usually its closer to 50-55F. I mean, I don't even turn ON the heat unless its going below 50F. 

The core of my greenhouse is the warmest because the heater is hung in the back middle and blows the hot air out in a straight line down the center. I have fans to help circulate heat to the corners but they are ALWAYS as much as 5+ degrees F cooler than the core. Especially in the 4 corners. I have never had any plants suffer overmuch at 45F. Winter is brown here. It will largely be over around mid-late February.

I have trialed a few philos and anthuriums out in my yard and let them go through winters unprotected. The ones that have survives the best are Philodendron Jose Buono, Philodendron tripartitum, Philodendron King of Spades (aka known now as Dark Lord), and Pachyneurium anthuriums. These have taken to 22F and while they defoliated, they did relief and grow back.

These photos are from my greenhouse of plants that grow in the cold corners. They do fine. I have remote temp sensors in the corners so low what the temp is in each place. 45F does not affect them

F507D525-84F1-47BC-B350-6AD947353835_1_201_a.heic A95CCB2E-5BE5-4620-B0E9-CF6EEE3570B4_1_201_a.heic A0CF2A2C-E81D-467B-99E8-D23690365199_1_201_a.heic

• Like 1

On 12/17/2023 at 10:30 PM, piping plovers said:

Philodendron stenolobum - new to the trade?

Here’s a new one for my eyes.  Not sure if this species is new to the nursery trade but I don’t recall ever seeing them.  Found them at a really nice nursery in Davie, FL on Flamingo Rd.  I visit the nursery every time I’m in the area.

Immediately gave me P. Billietiae vibes as I could tell immediately the leaves were too wide to be P. spiritus-sancti.  Really attractive species with that P. Selloum  growth habit.

IMG_8143.thumb.jpeg.c0c5a0ef869b064f79d7398c2485eefd.jpeg

IMG_8144.thumb.jpeg.da7f9f75369cb723521665a8c30fbae9.jpeg

IMG_8146.thumb.jpeg.2b513074abf07f4dbba78cca4a57afe8.jpeg

IMG_8147.thumb.jpeg.585c2e8dd75f5a24b492f0bba1707738.jpeg

Lovely plant. And a small world as I too visit this nursery near Flamingo Gardens every time I am in the area including earlier this month.

I always find something I “need” and usually have some treat from their café. 

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

10 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

Lovely plant. And a small world as I too visit this nursery near Flamingo Gardens every time I am in the area including earlier this month.

I always find something I “need” and usually have some treat from their café. 

I’ve walked by their cafe so many times, but next visit I’ll be sure to stop in.

I really enjoy Flamingo Gardens too.  I’ve been meaning to post some photos in the travel thread. I ran out of time to visit Fairchild Gardens this trip but Flamingo Gardens is always a pleasure and is so convenient to Weston/Ft Lauderdale.

11 hours ago, metalfan said:

These photos are from my greenhouse of plants that grow in the cold corners. They do fine. I have remote temp sensors in the corners so low what the temp is in each place. 45F does not affect them

Your Regale is beautifully grown.  I’ve given up on them.  I killed 3 already. Bought all at the height of the anthurium craze; so the $math hurts my brain on losses.  Even my warocqueanums were less temperamental ☹️ than regales.

P. billietiea variegated.

P.  Florida shost  mature plant was growing under low light and young cutting was growing under high light. 

a22.PNG

20230225_151555.jpg

• Like 1

Philodendron bipinnatifidum   Yes, it is a Philodendron. It is a Thaumatophyllum or not still debating.  If you look at its structure from my examination in video somewhat you would understand why people as of today still called it Philodendron.            

• Like 1