IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Red spicata coconut palm

Plantking165

I've had this palm for 2 and a half months and I gotta say it's growth rate has been amazing it has roots coming out of the 7 gallon container from a 3 gal in 2 months time. Very quick im going to put it in ground tomorrow morning it's going in pure sand unless you guys recommend adding anything to the sand. It's my fastest growing coconut palm as of recently my fiji dwarf is being slow as possible the red spicata just can't stop growing. 

Screenshot_20220815-190423_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220815-190445_Gallery.jpg

20220815_185710.jpg

• Like 5

@Plantking165 The Fiji Dwarf I got is growing pretty quickly.  No transplant setback at all.  Hopefully yours picks up some speed before we start getting the California weather in the late fall.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

1 minute ago, kinzyjr said:

@Plantking165 The Fiji Dwarf I got is growing pretty quickly.  No transplant setback at all.  Hopefully yours picks up some speed before we start getting the California weather in the late fall.

It's getting worse by the week man lots of new spotting and disease issues moving in on the new fronds same with red spicata lots of yellow and brown spots appearing even with the new leaf opening it has lots of yellow spots but im not as concerned for it yet bc its growing fast. But the fiji is very slow for me it's almost 3 months in and it's barley opening the first spear it's actually grown it finally matured the spear that was open when I got it but it's significantly smaller than the previous frond I belive that to be stunting as it was a large palm in a 7 gallon container I worry it won't make it through the winter as it's getting progressively worse in the prime growing season..

26 minutes ago, Plantking165 said:

It's getting worse by the week man lots of new spotting and disease issues moving in on the new fronds same with red spicata lots of yellow and brown spots appearing even with the new leaf opening it has lots of yellow spots but im not as concerned for it yet bc its growing fast. But the fiji is very slow for me it's almost 3 months in and it's barley opening the first spear it's actually grown it finally matured the spear that was open when I got it but it's significantly smaller than the previous frond I belive that to be stunting as it was a large palm in a 7 gallon container I worry it won't make it through the winter as it's getting progressively worse in the prime growing season..

In my yard, I have spots where literally anything I plant there will shrivel up and die if I don't move it.  Is moving your Fiji Dwarf a possibility at this point?

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

50 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

In my yard, I have spots where literally anything I plant there will shrivel up and die if I don't move it.  Is moving your Fiji Dwarf a possibility at this point?

I dont think it's that because there was a tree thriving in that area I removed it to put the fiji there.

I've seen a lot of ground termites and ants attacking plants this year.  If you pull back a bit of the ground from the root ball, is there any damage there? 

Leaf skeletonizer has been a pain as well for the desert palms over here.

Lakeland, FL

2 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

I've seen a lot of ground termites and ants attacking plants this year.  If you pull back a bit of the ground from the root ball, is there any damage there? 

Leaf skeletonizer has been a pain as well for the desert palms over here.

I'll have to check, I built a dragon fruit post last year I noticed some ants eating the wood aswell as some conks some kind of fungus ill have to get some pics tomorrow hopefully the conks dont mean ganoderma or something but it's on a wooden post.

• Upvote 1

There it is planted it seems some base is too exposed it should cover up when i mulch it. It had a very healthy vigorous root system it looked great but unfortunately I had picked it up to put it in the hole and my back gave out and I dropped it because I fell, I got bad back issues unfortunately. I hate that I dropped it bc the root system shattered and it broke alot of chucks of soil off with probably half the root mass. So it may decline for some time idk how well it should recover. @kinzyjr

20220816_100911.jpg

20220816_100913.jpg

20220816_100927.jpg

20220816_100956.jpg

Edited by Plantking165
Mistyped words
  • Like 1

@Plantking165 Time will tell.  Hopefully you are feeling OK after the mishap.  You might actually have it a bit deep.  With coconuts, I usually leave some of the coconut above the soil line.  Either way, hopefully it will take quickly before old man winter wakes up.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

2 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@Plantking165 Time will tell.  Hopefully you are feeling OK after the mishap.  You might actually have it a bit deep.  With coconuts, I usually leave some of the coconut above the soil line.  Either way, hopefully it will take quickly before old man winter wakes up.

It's deep on the back side and shallow on the frond side because of the lean it has. Unfortunately the coconut broke off in the last transplant so I dint have that attached as a guideline Unfortunately.

See what I mean the back side sits probably an inch or 2 below the sand while the front side sits an inch above the sand exposing that root and base. Idk weather I should add more sand in or leave it because i don't want an unstable palm that develops a small trunk due to not being planted right. What do you think I should do. I left it quite low into the actual soil like there's a big divet in the ground so I can fill it up with water I dont plan to back fill it that shouldn't be a problem right? @kinzyjr20220816_100956.thumb.jpg.3782a81b779aa35c022a4aa8a20af898.jpg

Screenshot_20220816-203733_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220816-203741_Gallery.jpg

1 minute ago, Plantking165 said:

See what I mean the back side sits probably an inch or 2 below the sand while the front side sits an inch above the sand exposing that root and base. Idk weather I should add more sand in or leave it because i don't want an unstable palm that develops a small trunk due to not being planted right. What do you think I should do. I left it quite low into the actual soil like there's a big divet in the ground so I can fill it up with water I dont plan to back fill it that shouldn't be a problem right? @kinzyjr

I'd leave it like it is for right now.  They are usually pretty tolerant of grade change since they naturalize on the coast where sand levels change with tides, etc.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL