IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Windmill Palm Growth Progression!

MrTropical

Hey y'all. Thought I'd share the growth progress on my Windmill. He's growing a lot quicker than I anticipated. 

I'll post the pics in this thread...

Emerald Isle, North Carolina

USDA Zone 8B/9A - Humid Subtropical (CFA)

The fastest growth I encounter is specimen planted out in open ground. Routine moisture with temps from 65°F to 80°F.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MrTropical said:

August 2022 (Today)

IMG_1345.jpg

Looking great! are you gonna put it in the ground eventually? also creeping charlie on the ground makes a great hanging plant :floor:

• Like 1

I bought a little one in Feb this year when it was 50 cm tall and in a 20cm pot. I planted it late feb and since then it has reached just over 1 metre in height and 1.2 metres wide.  Being in the subtropics they are a species rarely seen and hard to find, and ruinously expensive if one does fluke a find. Found mine in a weekend market for $20 ! (the vendor being a typical know all, told me it was definitely a native cabbage palm !  ( Livistona australis) 

• Like 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

5 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Looking great! are you gonna put it in the ground eventually? also creeping charlie on the ground makes a great hanging plant :floor:

Yes, it will go in the ground eventually. Gonna wait until there’s a decent trunk though. :laugh2:

7 hours ago, Palmlover_78 said:

If well looked after these, things take off like rockets !!!!

Awesome. I’m excited. 

Looking super great.  I have several growth videos on my Youtube.  I get almost 3' of year of trunk on these in the ground here and they can go from small to a large palm in just a few years.  

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

6 hours ago, peachy said:

... Being in the subtropics they are a species rarely seen and hard to find, and ruinously expensive if one does fluke a find. ...

Interesting. They're very common here, but prices have really exploded in many cases. Costco seems to be about the only place to find these at reasonable prices.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Allen said:

Looking super great.  I have several growth videos on my Youtube.  I get almost 3' of year of trunk on these in the ground here and they can go from small to a large palm in just a few years.  

Thanks, Allen. I'm looking forward to planting it in-ground in the coming years.