IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Any advice on overwintering a Coconut Palm in NC?

MrTropical

Hey y’all. Hope everyone’s having a great Friday so far. I am in need of some advice on overwintering a Coconut Palm I bought from a local grocery store back in May. When I bought it, I didn’t realize what I was getting into from what I’ve read from others online. I really would like to see it live, but I understand they are truly tropical palms. I live in Zone 6B in North Carolina. Is there anything I can do when it goes inside for the winter to better its chances for survival? Thanks. 

Edited by MrTropical
  • Upvote 1

Emerald Isle, NC

USDA Zone 8B - Humid Subtropical (CFA)

1 hour ago, MrTropical said:

Hey y’all. Hope everyone’s having a great Friday so far. I am in need of some advice on overwintering a Coconut Palm I bought from a local grocery store back in May. When I bought it, I didn’t realize what I was getting into from what I’ve read from others online. I really would like to see it live, but I understand they are truly tropical palms. I live in Zone 6B in North Carolina. Is there anything I can do when it goes inside for the winter to better its chances for survival? Thanks. 

Welcome to Palmtalk! There's literally dozens of threads on here about overwintering coconuts indoors filled with useful info. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Welcome to Palmtalk! There's literally dozens of threads on here about overwintering coconuts indoors filled with useful info. 

Alrighty, I'll check 'em out. Thanks. 

Emerald Isle, NC

Welcome. Coconuts need warmth and humidity and lots of light. They are very cold/cool sensitive, i.e., a chilly, dry, dark northern house will kill them as surely as a night outdoors in freezing weather. Plan on providing supplemental light, heat and humidity. One of the best looking indoor coconuts I saw in photos was one a European PTer kept next to his aquarium of tropical fish.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Welcome. Coconuts need warmth and humidity and lots of light. They are very cold/cool sensitive, i.e., a chilly, dry, dark northern house will kill them as surely as a night outdoors in freezing weather. Plan on providing supplemental light, heat and humidity. One of the best looking indoor coconuts I saw in photos was one a European PTer kept next to his aquarium of tropical fish.

Ok, Thanks so much.

Emerald Isle, NC

I use a dehumidifier to keep the room warm (78f) and constant humidity. I use some led grow lights I got from Amazon on all my palms and they grow steadily and healthy throughout the indoor winter months. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1