IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Let's see Lisa

N8ALLRIGHT

I have a Lisa seedling in a pot, pretty sure it is a"Lisa". My second year of owning it and it's grown well. Just has me thinking,who else has Lisa? She ain't big but she's gorgeous! Let's see your Lisa

IMG_20220806_144333044.jpg

• Like 14

We purchased four and one declined within a few weeks of going in the ground but that being said.. here are our other three.  Don't mind the browning grass.. it's a little warm and dry here !  This is the first year these S. Lisas have been in the ground and we love them.

IMG_20220808_123726.thumb.JPG.86011f385e7aed997ab9e54cc4d27fa1.JPGIMG_20220808_123708.thumb.JPG.92a97b62ce69ee361dfffb376b210913.JPGIMG_20220808_123703.thumb.JPG.8e846d5db5abf3af115d3f4a1108be85.JPGIMG_20220808_123734.thumb.JPG.e805e703ff7a8632749807b9f2b6c8dc.JPG

IMG_20220807_134639.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

• 1 month later...

Here's the largest of my Sabal sp. 'Lisa' palms (from Phil/JM). It's been in the ground for a couple of years. It's just now going pinnate. Not yet sure at this time if it's the true version of this cultivar, but the younger fronds are cupped. Pavers keep the squirrels away.

Sabal_lisa.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hillizard said:

Here's the largest of my Sabal sp. 'Lisa' palms (from Phil/JM). It's been in the ground for a couple of years. It's just now going pinnate. Not yet sure at this time if it's the true version of this cultivar, but the younger fronds are cupped. Pavers keep the squirrels away.

Sabal_lisa.png

Jeff. Another "hate to be bearer of bad news" again but yours is probably not gonna be a Lisa. I've grown about a hundred seeds and even after 5 years growth with almost 10 leaves sprouted, there is the sudden tell tell sign of the non cupped leaf. Yours look like to be one. Can you take a pic of a close up of the newest leaf. Just trying to help. 

Tin 

• Like 1

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

1 hour ago, tinman10101 said:

Usually on Lisa palms when the leaf splits it's only bifid and very cupped from my experience.

Tin: No worries. You are right! I've now looked online at other examples of young 'Lisoid' Sabals and they don't match the one I have. Oh well. 🤨 Perhaps it's an 'intermediate form'? I do have a 'backup' palm... another one (image below, best I could do in close-up) that I got a couple of years ago from Josue/Fresno and all its leaves are cupped, it grows slowly and shows no signs of splitting yet. I'll know for sure in a few more years.

LisoidSabal.png

1 hour ago, tinman10101 said:

Jeff. Another "hate to be bearer of bad news" again but yours is probably not gonna be a Lisa. I've grown about a hundred seeds and even after 5 years growth with almost 10 leaves sprouted, there is the sudden tell tell sign of the non cupped leaf. Yours look like to be one. Can you take a pic of a close up of the newest leaf. Just trying to help. 

Tin 

Tin:  Above is what the my larger 'Lisa' Sabal looked like a couple of years ago...

1 hour ago, Hillizard said:

Tin: No worries. You are right! I've now looked online at other examples of young 'Lisoid' Sabals and they don't match the one I have. Oh well. 🤨 Perhaps it's an 'intermediate form'? I do have a 'backup' palm... another one (image below, best I could do in close-up) that I got a couple of years ago from Josue/Fresno and all its leaves are cupped, it grows slowly and shows no signs of splitting yet. I'll know for sure in a few more years.

LisoidSabal.png

Hey Jeff.  Below is a pic of two definitive sabal lisa's i have.  seed batch was purchased from @PalmatierMeg in 12/2015.  I will say that after growing them for about 5 years, I threw away about 40% of the seedlings because they started to show specimen palmetto regular leaves.  Then about in the last year or two the ones I thought I vetted out had about another half that threw out specimen palmetto regular leaves again, so I was quite disappointed.  At this point, its taken me about 7 years to finally vet through whatever is left and below are two that show the cupped leaf formation and the split bifid leaf formation.  So I would say my germination rate was approximately <30%.  I personally would not buy a young lisa seedling until it shows these definitive traits at a much larger size.  Just my experience.  In any case, your second one looks promising.  :D

Cheers 

Tin

... these and my chamaerops vulcano have been my most stressed induced palms over the years.  LOL

image.thumb.png.5cd2698f5f1dd444614601411c277063.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

2 hours ago, tinman10101 said:

Hey Jeff.  Below is a pic of two definitive sabal lisa's i have.  seed batch was purchased from @PalmatierMeg in 12/2015.  I will say that after growing them for about 5 years, I threw away about 40% of the seedlings because they started to show specimen palmetto regular leaves.  Then about in the last year or two the ones I thought I vetted out had about another half that threw out specimen palmetto regular leaves again, so I was quite disappointed.  At this point, its taken me about 7 years to finally vet through whatever is left and below are two that show the cupped leaf formation and the split bifid leaf formation.  So I would say my germination rate was approximately <30%.  I personally would not buy a young lisa seedling until it shows these definitive traits at a much larger size.  Just my experience.  In any case, your second one looks promising.  :D

Cheers 

Tin

... these and my chamaerops vulcano have been my most stressed induced palms over the years.  LOL

image.thumb.png.5cd2698f5f1dd444614601411c277063.png

Tin: You've shown some amazing dedication and patience over several years in regards to culling palms until you're certain you got the varieties you wanted! I hope you're now feeling less "stressed" now with those beauties!😉

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had four, one perished, and so we are left with three very nice Lisas in the ground.  These have seen winter already and are going on their second this year.

IMG_20221026_101355.thumb.JPG.9f4073e5bc4f5b5670b336e5250e4847.JPG

IMG_20221026_101122.thumb.JPG.112121ae0ec1e1b7d29cb8258c9d19d4.JPG

IMG_20221026_101115.thumb.JPG.cb74b938fcbb0216383b05705cdf4ebe.JPG

IMG_20221026_101034.thumb.JPG.0dee01ce8ccd383c9587855129880d7a.JPG

IMG_20221026_101026.thumb.JPG.9cecb6302215f5bc01fc5da990ad718e.JPG

Can't wait to see these larger... much larger!

• Like 5

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

Well I'm not positive if these 3 are all Lisa's but for I feel pretty darn sure about the middle one. I received 15 seedlings from @PalmatierMegabout 2 yrs ago and put them all in a community pot. These 3 are much larger then its siblings, not sure if thats a trait for Lisa's over regular palmetto. Let me know what yall think. 

T J 

20221027_171700.jpg

• Like 1

T J