Sabal Brazoria Seeds

GregVirginia7

Yes, indeed…a few Brazoria seeds forming…I see now how it works on this palm…one male stalk and one female, same palm. Let’s see what I end up with this fall…Question: Should I winter the seeds outside in a dry cabinet then sprout in the spring? There aren’t very many but if I have any to share I will once I see what makes it to fall.

image.thumb.jpg.a8d4ba2b2592673c2391a27d78bbfd60.jpg

I believe you could plant them as soon as they are ripe. The frost and rain will break up the seeds. If you do be weary of squirrels and other animals. Ive lost a lot of pawpaw seeds to squirrels, put some netting on top. 

If stored in a cabinet, gently scratch them this spring and your good to go.

I have brazoria grass, in a container, some say that they are fast sabal....any truth to that?

Thanks 

21 minutes ago, Alex Zone 5 said:

I believe you could plant them as soon as they are ripe. The frost and rain will break up the seeds. If you do be weary of squirrels and other animals. Ive lost a lot of pawpaw seeds to squirrels, put some netting on top. 

If stored in a cabinet, gently scratch them this spring and your good to go.

I have brazoria grass, in a container, some say that they are fast sabal....any truth to that?

Thanks 

Thanks for the advice…since a cold hardy palm and seeds ripen in the fall and winter on/in ground naturally, seems to me they need some cold to germinate in the spring…I agree to put right in the ground but I may just store dry and protected outside this winter and plant in the spring…may get less varmint loss…as far as growth rate, mine stalled for most of the eight years it’s been in ground so I considered it very slow…however, once it got a bit of a trunk on it, it really accelerated in growth and pushed out the two flower spikes I got this season. It’s frond production rate is very fast now, comparatively speaking, but I think overall, it would be considered somewhat slow…very happy with it though.