IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Repot or to not repot royal

ZPalms

I was going to repot these 2 today but idk if they need it, I checked the cups and the roots really haven’t filled them out yet but the roots were growing out the bottom so I just lifted them out and replaced the root back into the cup but should I still repot?

0C237DE8-0BA4-40B6-863B-36042ECB9BBF.jpeg

• Like 1

Look for a pot that goes deeper but not wider. 

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

5 hours ago, JLM said:

Look for a pot that goes deeper but not wider. 

I have mcdonalds cup if that works?

Just now, ZPalms said:

Sounds like a good candidate.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Just now, JLM said:

Sounds like a good candidate.

Thanks! I'll do that tomorrow :mrlooney:

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

No, can't use drink cups.  :PIMG_20210706_134703_hdr.thumb.jpg.2a7505649ef10b278343a3e74caa2fa8.jpg

• Like 3

Jon Sunder

1 minute ago, Fusca said:

No, can't use drink cups.  :PIMG_20210706_134703_hdr.thumb.jpg.2a7505649ef10b278343a3e74caa2fa8.jpg

Oh Lord. Jinx lol

1 minute ago, Fusca said:

So funky and useful I love it!!!! :D

• Upvote 1

Some with more aggressive roots get a bigger cup!IMG_20220212_113831.thumb.jpg.e8767d24e1f79647bd0776c18a8be145.jpg

4 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Oh Lord. Jinx lol

I declined sharing my drink cups in the "What's your favorite pot" thread.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

2 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Some with more aggressive roots get a bigger cup!IMG_20220212_113831.thumb.jpg.e8767d24e1f79647bd0776c18a8be145.jpg

I declined sharing my drink cups in the "What's your favorite pot" thread.  :lol:

All of mine get used as Sancho's water bowls. 

• Like 2

I stored some styrofoam zaxby cup and arby plastic cup, I wonder if roots would pop out styrofoam

Just now, ZPalms said:

I stored some styrofoam zaxby cup and arby plastic cup, I wonder if roots would pop out styrofoam

I know styrofoam breaks down fast with liquid. I go to Daquiri Express so much the girls working there know my car and start making me a large Pink Panther before my car is in park. I dunno how they would do with palm roots though. 

IMG_20220607_180537.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I know styrofoam breaks down fast with liquid. I go to Daquiri Express so much the girls working there know my car and start making me a large Pink Panther before my car is in park. I dunno how they would do with palm roots though. 

IMG_20220607_180537.jpg

"SOB" - What a mood LOL

Seriously though, good question about the roots. If they were aggressive enough i would think they would eventually. Depends on just how crappy the cup is i guess lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

I actually used a 32 oz. styrofoam Whataburger cup for a Sabal 'Riverside' seedling.  Kept it there two years before I planted it out.  It was still in decent shape after two years but probably wouldn't last much longer than that.  It'll work temporarily.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

51 minutes ago, JLM said:

"SOB" - What a mood LOL

Seriously though, good question about the roots. If they were aggressive enough i would think they would eventually. Depends on just how crappy the cup is i guess lol

That one was actually for Strawberry Orange Banana, but I owned it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Tall milk/fruit juice cartons also work as pots, if you cut off the top part and make holes in the base. Depending on the carton, you can get 9 or 10" of height. They will fall to bits eventually, of course; putting multiple rubber bands (or string, tape etc.) around them will improve their useful life.

• Like 1