IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washy seedling from Fayetteville, NC growth :

WSimpson

March 6th :

52243313991_472f337294_b.jpg

Today July 26th  ; damn near ready to plant out , but I'll wait till next year  :

52243301383_a2d4d6c727_b.jpg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, scarecrow said:

You started these from seed?

Three small seedlings  were sent to me from Knikfar . I potted the seedlings together in that  1 pot in the first picture . I later separated them into their own pots . 

They were seedlings from a  Fayetteville , NC Washy that seems to be a really hardy palm . Maybe Knikfar can show you a picture of it . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Will Simpson said:

March 6th :

52243313991_472f337294_b.jpg

Today July 26th  ; damn near ready to plant out , but I'll wait till next year  :

52243301383_a2d4d6c727_b.jpg

Wow. You've done a wonderful job. It just looks fantastic! Are all three this large? Did you fertilize to get it this big? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, knikfar said:

Wow. You've done a wonderful job. It just looks fantastic! Are all three this large? Did you fertilize to get it this big? 

The one in the picture is the biggest . It was in the biggest pot plus the dog knocked one off  the deck railing and that one is the smallest  , but they are all doing great . I have been fertilizing with Miracle  Grow , which most palm enthusiasts  don't seem to use or like  much , but as fast as Washys grow , I said what the hell . 

Will

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Will Simpson said:

The one in the picture is the biggest . It was in the biggest pot plus the dog knocked one off  the deck railing and that one is the smallest  , but they are all doing great . I have been fertilizing with Miracle  Grow , which most palm enthusiasts  don't seem to use or like  much , but as fast as Washys grow , I said what the hell . 

Will

Very impressive. Do you have them planted in mulch? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, knikfar said:

Very impressive. Do you have them planted in mulch? 

They are planted in recycled , old potting  soil 

• Like 2

Impressive growth! I assume the red in the trunk means at least some W. robusta blood.  Here on the coast,  the robusta blood gives a quicker recovery versus W. filifera, after a bad winter.  I would think that would hold true for you as well,  especially since your temps warm up a little earlier in the spring than here. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jeff zone 8 N.C. said:

Impressive growth! I assume the red in the trunk means at least some W. robusta blood.  Here on the coast,  the robusta blood gives a quicker recovery versus W. filifera, after a bad winter.  I would think that would hold true for you as well,  especially since your temps warm up a little earlier in the spring than here. 

I hope it has the best of all qualities for Washys  of fast regrowth after damage,  and hardiness . Fayetteville is milder and hotter than me so I hope I can have close to the success of that Fayetteville palm . 

Thanks ,

Will

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Will Simpson said:

I hope it has the best of all qualities for Washys  of fast regrowth after damage,  and hardiness . Fayetteville is milder and hotter than me so I hope I can have close to the success of that Fayetteville palm . 

Thanks ,

Will

I hope the same for you and for me here in Raleigh. 

• Like 1

I have quite a few of these from @ZPalms but have neglected to move them up into gallon pots, which of course would have produced larger plants at this point. In the PNW, these are "iffy" at best. I can only hope that their resilience in Fayetteville has some bearing here, but I maybe asking for too much.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

I have quite a few of these from @ZPalms but have neglected to move them up into gallon pots, which of course would have produced larger plants at this point. In the PNW, these are "iffy" at best. I can only hope that their resilience in Fayetteville has some bearing here, but I maybe asking for too much.

Good luck there in the PNW . I often  have a 1-3 nights in a winter  that could be too cold for it to be a success here . At least it is hardier than my other tall Washy , so some winters it should come  though winter looking decent . At least  it  will be easy to protect for the first 5 years and then it's time to get out the ladder LOL . 

Will

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

I can't believe how fast mine went from blades of grass to plantable palms in 1 year .

Will

• Like 2

Thanks ,

I didn't realize how much bigger they had gotten so fast until it dawned on me that they were little grass  sprouts when I first got them . Now they are palms with multiple fronds  and growing exponentially . 

Will

• Like 2

I've left mine in starter cells for a little too long. I'm going to need a mess of gallon pots and soil.

20220801_163517.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

I've left mine in starter cells for a little too long. I'm going to need a mess of gallon pots and soil.

20220801_163517.jpg

Amazing how many sprouted! :yay:

Edited by ZPalms

15 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Amazing how many sprouted! :yay:

I gave some away, and some died too. I'd wager there was about 95% germination.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 7:00 AM, Will Simpson said:

Thanks ,

Will

Washie hybrids are tricky because offspring won’t match parents but will be on sort of a spectrum , you kind of have to germinate a lot and select the ones with most ideal characteristics as they age. I germinated a hundred from one nearby and kept a dozen that had strongest Filifera traits and were the healthiest. 

Edited by DreaminAboutPalms
  • Like 2