IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pole Saws

enigma99

Looking for a new pole saw. I have a standard one and can no longer cut fronds that are super high on the queens. Unfortunately american tree service supply is out of business now, who sold 40ft ones. 

Thanks

There is a phoenix brand and a Marvin brand they come in sections and you can click together however many you like!!

2 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Looking for a new pole saw. I have a standard one and can no longer cut fronds that are super high on the queens. Unfortunately american tree service supply is out of business now, who sold 40ft ones. 

Thanks

40 ft long pole saws?  How?  Do you have to hold it vertically up or need incredible arm strength?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Marvin pole saw that I use comes in 6’ sections I have 4 sections that’s all I want to handle but I’m old maybe a young guy could handle 6 sections!!

I too am struggling with the idea of a 40’ pole saw. How could you possibly hold something like that over your head? The weight would be significant. And like @miamicuse alluded, once you left the vertical plane the pole would flex quite a bit. I don’t understand how it would be controllable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oh I see

2 hours ago, redant said:

What I have, Amazon.com : Notch 21' Sentei 4 Section Telescoping Aluminum Polesaw : Patio, Lawn & Garden  not cheap but it's awesome. I'm strong as hell and a 40ft saw would be insane to manage, maybe in carbon fiber.

Got it.  I was somehow thinking electric pole saws that's 40' long LOL like this one.

• Like 2

I don't know how much the aluminum telecoping ones weigh.  The carbon pole ones are about 1.5lb for a 6 foot section, so a 40 footer is maybe 10lb plus the saw blade.  That would be easy as long as it isn't flexy.

15 hours ago, miamicuse said:

Oh I see

Got it.  I was somehow thinking electric pole saws that's 40' long LOL like this one.

That’s a creative, inexpensive solution but looks like it won’t last long. He doesn’t show the lifting part but you can see the flex while he is trying to lay it down. I would imagine it is considerably stressed while going up. I don’t think even schedule 40 PVC can handle that too many times before the material will get worked and break.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 1:08 PM, enigma99 said:

I purchased the 30 ft aluminum one above. We'll see how it goes!

Let us know. 

• Like 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

With a really long pole, one can reach the frond that needs cutting, BUT remember that frond is HEAVY and located right above you. When you make the final cut that separates it from the tree, that frond is going to very quickly fall in the direction of your head. It will happen so quickly that will NOT have time to move.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Update: the vevor one I bought is complete garbage. The connections are plastic and are the achilles heel. It just falls apart while you’re sawing.. if they only were metal.

Going with this next: 26 Feet Tree Pole Pruner Manual Branches Trimmer Tree Branch Garden Tools Loppers Hand Pole Saws Extendable Height Adustable System for Sawing and Shearing https://a.co/d/dgM7C3b

@redant are the joints on yours plastic or metal?

• Like 1

You can get a Marvin Pkg-18b with the fixed bolt-through heads for about $200 shipped.  24' of quality seems like a better choice than $125 of no-name Amazon garbage...just sayin'!  :D

Edit: the PKG-18b looks like it has one middle piece and might be configured for either an 18' with saw or 18' with lopper.  It can't be set up as a 24'  https://www.baileysonline.com/marvin-fiberglass-12-pole-pruner-saw-package-with-fixed-head-pkg-18b.html

You'd have to get another $40 mid section to make a 24 footer.

• Like 1

I am waiting for someone to come out with a mini chainsaw attachment to a drone do I can sip a cup of coffee while controlling the drone to cut some coconuts 50 feet up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/14/2022 at 7:49 PM, enigma99 said:

Update: the vevor one I bought is complete garbage. The connections are plastic and are the achilles heel. It just falls apart while you’re sawing.. if they only were metal.

Going with this next: 26 Feet Tree Pole Pruner Manual Branches Trimmer Tree Branch Garden Tools Loppers Hand Pole Saws Extendable Height Adustable System for Sawing and Shearing https://a.co/d/dgM7C3b

@redant are the joints on yours plastic or metal?

it locks in place via a metal button and a plastic clip, it doesn't budge when locked. Had mine for years, they are excellent.

Jupiter FL

2 minutes ago, redant said:

it locks in place via a metal button and a plastic clip, it doesn't budge when locked. Had mine for years, they are excellent.

saw_.jpg

Jupiter FL