IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

T. princeps recovery

Fallen Munk

I thought this one was a goner after last summer where we hit a high of 117F.  I almost dug it up and moved it to the shade but now I'm glad I didn't.  Fully recovered and acclimated to this spot now.

IMG_20220720_085214.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Fallen Munk said:

I thought this one was a goner after last summer where we hit a high of 117F.  I almost dug it up and moved it to the shade but now I'm glad I didn't.  Fully recovered and acclimated to this spot now.

I'm telling you they like the heat and sun and can handle dry.  My biggest which is in the hottest spot in my yard spear pulled in late spring and was pushing a new spear with a week or so.  It handled that 115F like nothing happened.  The other which wasn't in such a hot spot spear pulled too but has taken close to two months to recover.

9 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I'm telling you they like the heat and sun and can handle dry.  My biggest which is in the hottest spot in my yard spear pulled in late spring and was pushing a new spear with a week or so.  It handled that 115F like nothing happened.  The other which wasn't in such a hot spot spear pulled too but has taken close to two months to recover.

Mine got totally fried that week we hit 117F.  Both of them were extra crispy and I had watered the heck out of them.  Tanner was over here a while back and saw how bad they looked.  It was heartbreaking.

Mine were in ground for at least a year before that heat so were established. You’d be surprised how long a root they can throw. 

I just wish these things would hurry up and grow. It’s so painful.  I think its best to buy a bigger one, or go with Princeps hybrids in our climate.  

Pictures from today. They were more blue but these old fronds have yellowed a bit from all the rain. 

2189121F-8231-4BC4-B498-0024BAE0404D.jpeg

EC718DC8-68FA-4901-94E2-1EC99CF8EE47.jpeg

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chester B said:

I just wish these things would hurry up and grow. It’s so painful.  I think its best to buy a bigger one, or go with Princeps hybrids in our climate.

I agree.  I have a two year old princeps x fortunei that is really fast and looks great!

IMG_20220720_130003.jpg

• Like 1