IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PNW - Summer Weather 2022

Chester B

17 hours ago, Banana Belt said:

2022 South coast Oregon, Brookings had the coldest summer on record, dark drizzly cold Fog again today;

That's so crazy.  We had the hottest month ever in August and Hottest Months for August(obviously) Sept and now October.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chester B said:

That's so crazy.  We had the hottest month ever in August and Hottest Months for August(obviously) Sept and now October.

Wow!  For us slugs and snails living in Oregons Fog Belt,   If Oct. 20 means rain and colder weather in most of Oregon, then we will finally start our summer.  Bad joke I know but we shall see as it often works that way. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this is weather related or not, but a few of the Trachycarpus that were heavy seed producers last year have zero seed this year.  Others are full like normal.  Could the abnormally wet spring cause a poor seed set? 

16 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

I'm not sure if this is weather related or not, but a few of the Trachycarpus that were heavy seed producers last year have zero seed this year.  Others are full like normal.  Could the abnormally wet spring cause a poor seed set? 

The ones in my neighborhood are all full of seed  like usual.  Haven’t noticed any difference. I know that some years they’ll take a break for whatever reason. 

Goodbye summer, hello winter.  

Ryan I know you've been in the 70's and 80s the last couple weeks.  We haven't hardly seen 70 up here.  Today's high was 50f, and the rain turned back on.   They're calling for a low of 35 next week, but I'm guessing it'll probably change and not get that low.  

I'm glad the drought is over.  

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 5:52 PM, Jesse PNW said:

Goodbye summer, hello winter.  

Ryan I know you've been in the 70's and 80s the last couple weeks.  We haven't hardly seen 70 up here.  Today's high was 50f, and the rain turned back on.   They're calling for a low of 35 next week, but I'm guessing it'll probably change and not get that low.  

I'm glad the drought is over.  

Well we went off the cliff Friday night. Cool and some wet weather down here. The first round of rain wasn’t enough to soak in as there were dry areas under the plants and about 2mm deep in my mulch was bone dry. Sunny again today but some more rain overnight and through the weeK.
I can remember two years out of the last few that we had our coldest night during a dry crisp October night.  
Last Sunday it was 86 and today a predicted high of 58. Quite the shift. I imagine this is going to slow things down quite a bit but many of my plants are still showing drought stress and need water.  Lots of droopy plants.  I think my neighbors would think I’m crazy if they see me out watering. 

• Like 1