IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Handkerchief trees

Cindy Adair

In between heavy rains today I noticed some new flushes of limp leaves called handkerchiefs.  All will become more horizontal and green in less than a week.

This Cynometra is pretty with a hint of pink not captured in this photo.

2E072476-A1EE-40CA-8892-37236940F1F9.thumb.jpeg.9231924da7cc91bb4b4268d087819ff4.jpeg

9A73B3E9-2559-4765-ACFB-256B749C1B66.thumb.jpeg.9fc1c2c4dd92d374348f9267c7c9798c.jpeg

I like the red to pink young Cacao leaves too.

4B2B16FC-9A7F-4D29-BF63-B65731E3E395.thumb.jpeg.0ac74d550c13aca2d16cd482c23d997a.jpeg

Lastly one of my Browneas just flushed but again the photo does not show the hint of lavender to the whitish new leaves.

82BB66ED-0190-4DE0-9A9A-5E10B4FB3E29.thumb.jpeg.e471ccec91e87d9ae14c5979aaba5547.jpeg

I am glad I don’t have to choose between Handkerchief trees and Palms as my favorites!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Very cool, I had to look up the handkerchief tree. It appears that Davidia involucrata is cold hardy, but how do these trees handle dry heat?

4 minutes ago, amh said:

Very cool, I had to look up the handkerchief tree. It appears that Davidia involucrata is cold hardy, but how do these trees handle dry heat?

Whoops, I looked up the wrong tree, disregard.

Still, great photos.

1 minute ago, amh said:

Whoops, I looked up the wrong tree, disregard.

Still, great photos.

Thanks.

Yes, common names are tricky.

Sadly I think none of the trees in my photos are likely to grow well outside the tropics.

I did have Theobroma cacao trees for years in VA in pots using a greenhouse when temperatures dropped below 55 degrees F.

Amherstias and Browneopsis also have lovely handkerchiefs but not flushing today on my farm.

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

Just now, Cindy Adair said:
15 hours ago, metalfan said:

I have this small Maniltoa

IMG_3968.jpg

I love it!! I am actually hoping that the tree I posted is a Maniltoa rather than a Brownea. Any thoughts?

I guess the blooms are very different so I can verify eventually.

I bought mine unlabeled from a nursery in PR that was going out of business.

They did have some rare trees, but the remaining employees that day guessed at the genus I think.

I have several different  Browneas that I grew from seed when the local USDA station here used to allow seed collection. They have not bloomed yet either.

Cindy Adair

My Maniltoa is def different from my Browneas in the form of the branches and the color of the hankerchief. The handkerchiefs on both my Browneas are pinkish/caramel color, this one is snow white. Its still quite small, the blooms are like Brownea red puffs that come out of the trunk only white. I have not had a bloom yet

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

20 minutes ago, metalfan said:

My Maniltoa is def different from my Browneas in the form of the branches and the color of the hankerchief. The handkerchiefs on both my Browneas are pinkish/caramel color, this one is snow white. Its still quite small, the blooms are like Brownea red puffs that come out of the trunk only white. I have not had a bloom yet

Thanks for the additional information.
I will take a closer look at the branching on my 3 Browneas versus the tree I posted.

Definitely the color of the new leaves are different.

We will both look forward to blooms!

Cindy Adair

Love my Bloody Hanky tree ..Browneopsis  but having trouble finding an image .

But have some great images of a large Maniltoa lenticellata ..it is a native .

Maniltoa10.jpg

Maniltoa-infl11.jpg

Maniltoa-tree9.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

I have 2 Sarraca

2 Brownea

& 3 Browneopsis

• Upvote 1

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Yet another reason I need to visit Australia to see that amazing native Maniltoa.

Great photos, thanks aussiearoids!

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

• 9 months later...

I can't seem to give my Browneopsis the right combination of light and wind protection, but the Maniltoa lenticellata is a star every spring.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kaname-kun said:

I can't seem to give my Browneopsis the right combination of light and wind protection, but the Maniltoa lenticellata is a star every spring.

MOV_9960.mov

Wow!  Gorgeous!