IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Beaverton Desert Garden in Summer...

MarkbVet

My palms are only visible in background, but the cacti and agaves are blooming well right now!  Agave stalk is approx. 13 feet tall, 5 inches thick, grew up from 2 feet to over 10 feet in just a couple weeks.    Enjoy...

Agave parryi blooming July 2022.jpg

Hybrid cholla imbricata X acanthocarpa)blooms.jpg

Opuntia woodsii & O. phaecantha.jpg

Tall prickly pear flowers 2022.jpg

chollas & prickly pears blooming 2022.jpg

Opuntia engelmanii.jpg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 3

Looks like albuquerque lol..especially with the big yuccas. Good job.. looks great!

• Like 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

I got a private tour this past weekend.  There were so many different species of Cactus, yuccas and agaves but what doesn't come across is the enormous size of each plant.  Just about everything you see is taller than a person and many of these plants have a spread of 15 foot or more.  My head was swimming afterwards when I drove away trying to process it all.

Mark was kind enough of to send me on my way with a few "Small" agave pups that he removed.

ABCF6CC2-B711-4B3F-8D3B-DD9EB2F6840D.jpeg

37585CC8-90BD-4EFA-9D21-655174E86075.jpeg

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 9

Stunning! The agave flower is so unique. I love it. I hope I will get a chance to visit your garden in the future. :shaka-2:

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Trustandi said:

Stunning! The agave flower is so unique. I love it. I hope I will get a chance to visit your garden in the future. :shaka-2:

You need to. But wear long clothing and safety glasses. When I showed up the other day @MarkbVet was weeding - very brave guy!

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 1:27 AM, MSX said:

Awesome!

Is there a bull skull under opuntia?

Yup, but it's ceramic-- lasts longer in our wet winter weather!   :-)

2 hours ago, Trustandi said:

You're always welcome!   That agave is approx. 13 feet tall, it's A. parryi, so not a particularly large species.  Can't wait to see how big the flower stalks are for my 2 giant species (though they'll die after blooming, will hate to see them go). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

Yup, but it's ceramic-- lasts longer in our wet winter weather!   :-)

I have a real one, but move it once the autumn rains start.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 11:25 AM, Chester B said:

I got a private tour this past weekend.  There were so many different species of Cactus, yuccas and agaves but what doesn't come across is the enormous size of each plant.  Just about everything you see is taller than a person and many of these plants have a spread of 15 foot or more.  My head was swimming afterwards when I drove away trying to process it all.

Mark was kind enough of to send me on my way with a few "Small" agave pups that he removed.

ABCF6CC2-B711-4B3F-8D3B-DD9EB2F6840D.jpeg

37585CC8-90BD-4EFA-9D21-655174E86075.jpeg

I got a box of Agaves this week too for some free work. Then went to the BOX store to find a matching 5 gallon Blue Glow, was $58 for a 5 gallon. 

• Like 3

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

11 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

I got a box of Agaves this week too for some free work. Then went to the BOX store to find a matching 5 gallon Blue Glow, was $58 for a 5 gallon. 

I know the treasures I got, around here my feeling is that the big one would be pretty spendy.

And by the way @MarkbVet you did actually make it on the Danger Garden Blog twice:

in 2011 - http://www.thedangergarden.com/2011/10/i-am-not-in-desert-southwest.html

and 2012 - http://www.thedangergarden.com/2012/06/more-cacti-blooming-in-wet-grey-pacific.html

Congrats.

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1