IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bottle Palm setting seed in CA

MattyB

I don’t remember seeing a bottle palm set seed in California before. This gal is very happy. 

BEBDE8A5-891E-443C-9ED6-0ED3E77CC89E.jpeg

A048B1E4-4A7E-4A3D-8E9D-587EAD98CA0D.jpeg

C153420A-4988-48B9-830F-97F32A97A3F2.jpeg

A53CCADD-E20F-497E-9EE6-AACB8970825B.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 7

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Very nice Matty! Been envious of that palm for a long time..

• Like 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

How long has that Bottle been in the ground? It looks fantastic and is taking on the “Seus” look that we viewed in the older Bottles at Fairchild more than a few years back.

I have no doubt that you play a paramount role in extending the boundaries of Tropical palms that can be grown in Southern California. I would imagine that you have many more specimens of other varieties that are outside normal parameters!

• Like 1

What you look for is what is looking

13 hours ago, MattyB said:

I don’t remember seeing a bottle palm set seed in California before. This gal is very happy. 

BEBDE8A5-891E-443C-9ED6-0ED3E77CC89E.jpeg

A048B1E4-4A7E-4A3D-8E9D-587EAD98CA0D.jpeg

Sweet Matty.  Love the ring spacing on that specimen, it shows it's happy with that vigorous growth.  I have a neighbor up the hill from me with a Hyophorbe verschaffeltii that sets seed regularly the last few years, but I can't recall seeing his Hyophorbe lagenicaulis set seed.  Are you sure you didn't take that photo somewhere else and just claim it's in your garden????:floor:

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

My 20 + year old sets fruit like crazy.  Not so sure they mature.  Here's a pic from 2019.  Loaded again now.  Will take a pic tomorrow.

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis-2019-10.jpg

• Like 2

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL