• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachy takil purchase

WSimpson

I just ordered one from Bamboo Plantation . It should be bigger than PDN plants since it's 1 gallon size . I thought I would post this in case someone else wanted to get one . 

Will

Shipping Information
Carrier Shipping Mode Price 
UPS  UPS Ground $26.10

Order Items

Qty Name SKU Price Total   
1 Trachycarpus takil #1  TRTA1 $14.99 $14.99   

SubTotal : $14.99   
Shipping and Handling Fee : $26.10   
Tax Total : $0.00   

Total:  $41.09   

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 2

Hope that they are true takil, if so thats a good deal, 3gal for 24.99.  The photo they provided look more nainital to me... plz post pic when possible.

It better be a Takil . I better call them and make sure . They are closed today but I will call them tomorrow . Those pictures didn't look right . Nowadays  most reputable palm sellers should know what they have , and have heard the story about the real Takils  . 

Thanks ,

Will

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Will Simpson said:

It better be a Takil . I better call them and make sure . They are closed today but I will call them tomorrow . Those pictures didn't look right . Nowadays  most reputable palm sellers should know what they have , and have heard the story about the real Takils  . 

Thanks ,

Will

Good luck with that Will.  Not to sound negative but I think the chances of that being a real takil are slim, especially coming from a nursery that specializes in bamboo and not palms.

Taken directly from their website:

"A very rare cold hardy palm that is similar to Trachycarpus fortunei (Windmill Palm), but much faster with a thicker trunk"

Totally false information in the above statement.  Trunk should be more slender and pointed, and I have heard they grow slower than fortunei.  Nova is the only cold hardy Trachy I know of that is faster than fortunei, perhaps Nainital as well.

I'd put money on it this is a Nainital.

PS.  I forgot I filmed some of what I believe were real takil this spring.  These were not actually for sale, but were going to be used in a display garden and I would also think for reliable source of seeds.  They came from a specialty nursery in the San Francisco area - not Golden Gate palms though.

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 2

Sometimes the nurseries and seed places can be a little douchey because they sell plants etc and know more than you :mrlooney:

I agree there is some silly info on there and the palms(as mentioned) do not stand out as being Takil

Ask them where the seeds came from and if they have pictures of the ligules....haha but seriously,

if they don't know what that means ask for your money back.....or at least get a palm stew going.

• Upvote 1

I’d say my takil is slower then fortuna for me but faster then princeps … princeps is tough as nails though. 

17 hours ago, Chester B said:

Good luck with that Will.  Not to sound negative but I think the chances of that being a real takil are slim, especially coming from a nursery that specializes in bamboo and not palms.

Taken directly from their website:

"A very rare cold hardy palm that is similar to Trachycarpus fortunei (Windmill Palm), but much faster with a thicker trunk"

Totally false information in the above statement.  Trunk should be more slender and pointed, and I have heard they grow slower than fortunei.  Nova is the only cold hardy Trachy I know of that is faster than fortunei, perhaps Nainital as well.

I'd put money on it this is a Nainital.

PS.  I forgot I filmed some of what I believe were real takil this spring.  These were not actually for sale, but were going to be used in a display garden and I would also think for reliable source of seeds.  They came from a specialty nursery in the San Francisco area - not Golden Gate palms though.

These look true takil… this is my largest and looks like the ones in the video. I do know of two local sources PNW that have true takil on hand. 

6FBD3ACB-9AFE-4165-82C6-E5FDB80BC2A3.jpeg

382A6990-854F-4318-8F4F-83B8B93523E1.jpeg

A136875F-A8F1-470A-AEE0-5DF170ADC501.jpeg

B8A541E1-008A-43C5-97C3-E5D36BE33A92.jpeg

13 hours ago, RJ said:

I’d say my takil is slower then fortuna for me but faster then princeps … princeps is tough as nails though. 

Agreed on that growth speed comparison, although my 20g princeps did spear pull this spring, shallow pull and recovered, on 2nd new spear now but had me worried that it may do it again. It was its first winter in PNW from san diego, and it was a bad one this year.  I imagine that it got a good acclimation after that, and hope that we wont have another winter like that for another 20yrs!

@Will Simpson if it doesn't look like the ones I showed or like @NWpalms@206 palm, then you'll know.  They are pretty distinctive looking compared to a regular fortunei or nainital.

• Like 1

Im actually looking for nianital, i may order a couple hoping thats what they are!

• Like 2

They are closed on Monday but managed to get my palm shipped  to me yesterday , on Monday . I emailed  this morning and said that I wanted to cancel the order but I was  too late . 

I'm almost positive it's a Nainital .

Oh well .

No problem , but I wish sellers of palms would learn about that story about Nainitals and real Takils and only sell the correct palm . 

I'm going to be discussing getting a real Takil from Jungle Music in San Diego , but that should be a really nice shipping bill .  

Will

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Jimhardy said:

Sometimes the nurseries and seed places can be a little douchey because they sell plants etc and know more than you :mrlooney:

I agree there is some silly info on there and the palms(as mentioned) do not stand out as being Takil

Ask them where the seeds came from and if they have pictures of the ligules....haha but seriously,

if they don't know what that means ask for your money back.....or at least get a palm stew going.

Jim , I wanted to cancel my order but they said they had already shipped it . Oh well, I guess I'll have 2 Nainitals . 

I'm looking into getting a Takil from Jungle Music in San Diego . They told me to call them back and they would go out and see what selections they had outside in pots .

Will

13 minutes ago, Will Simpson said:

Jim , I wanted to cancel my order but they said they had already shipped it . Oh well, I guess I'll have 2 Nainitals . 

I'm looking into getting a Takil from Jungle Music in San Diego . They told me to call them back and they would go out and see what selections they had outside in pots .

Will

I would look at it this way, you’ll have two palms to compare if you get one from Jungle Music.  If the one you ordered is not a Takil then you’ll still have a nice palm. Can never have enough palms. 

So looks like junglemusic.com and junglemusic.net are the same thing i just realized theres 2 websites completely different, both for Phil Bergman, and in Encinitas CA. I was confused for a sec not sure if anyone else noticed that. 

edit: it does link you to junglemusic.net when you select prices... 

Edited by NWpalms@206

6 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

They are closed on Monday but managed to get my palm shipped  to me yesterday , on Monday . I emailed  this morning and said that I wanted to cancel the order but I was  too late . 

I'm almost positive it's a Nainital .

Oh well .

No problem , but I wish sellers of palms would learn about that story about Nainitals and real Takils and only sell the correct palm . 

I'm going to be discussing getting a real Takil from Jungle Music in San Diego , but that should be a really nice shipping bill .  

Will

Jungle music is pricey, it's where I got mine.  But as they say you get what you pay for. Mine made it through a zone 6 winter with less than adequate protection, probably didn't help being acclimated to California then getting tested in Missouri :unsure: 

9 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Agreed on that growth speed comparison, although my 20g princeps did spear pull this spring, shallow pull and recovered, on 2nd new spear now but had me worried that it may do it again. It was its first winter in PNW from san diego, and it was a bad one this year.  I imagine that it got a good acclimation after that, and hope that we wont have another winter like that for another 20yrs!

I was really noting the other end of the spectrum . Princeps is extremely heat and drought tolerant . Just seems to do better in my climate in full sun, where other trachy need either abundant moisture in full sun or at the very least part shade to look good. The vast majority of ones left out by un suspecting home owners in full sun just look pitta full. Princeps imo definitely likes it dryer then other trachy’s. YMMVB) 

• Like 2

yeah....I think your right about Princeps,they do seem to not be as bothered by hot weather..

I also noticed Waggies seem a little better in the heat(possibly because of smaller leaves?) but

the issue with them is that the leaves don't seem to be able to close as much and

they don't move as much....in the hot sun if a leaf gets squared up to the sun it really has

no defense and will burn.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

These look true takil… this is my largest and looks like the ones in the video. I do know of two local sources PNW that have true takil on hand. 

6FBD3ACB-9AFE-4165-82C6-E5FDB80BC2A3.jpeg

382A6990-854F-4318-8F4F-83B8B93523E1.jpeg

A136875F-A8F1-470A-AEE0-5DF170ADC501.jpeg

B8A541E1-008A-43C5-97C3-E5D36BE33A92.jpeg

Thanks for the info . I'm better prepared to buy the right palm now . 

Will

20 hours ago, Jtee said:

I would look at it this way, you’ll have two palms to compare if you get one from Jungle Music.  If the one you ordered is not a Takil then you’ll still have a nice palm. Can never have enough palms. 

I agree with that . Two Nainitals ain't that bad .

Will

13 hours ago, RJ said:

I was really noting the other end of the spectrum . Princeps is extremely heat and drought tolerant . Just seems to do better in my climate in full sun, where other trachy need either abundant moisture in full sun or at the very least part shade to look good. The vast majority of ones left out by un suspecting home owners in full sun just look pitta full. Princeps imo definitely likes it dryer then other trachy’s. YMMVB) 

Ahh gotcha, also helpful as I was a little conflicted about where to place my Stonegate form princeps, i had heard they do better in partial shade and have seen examples... but i have also seen there native habitat which is shear cliff sides in open sun. its in a 20g pot now in a place that gets sun maybe 9:30-1:30 then full shade. I may consider a full sun spot, we get 10hrs sunlight and gets really dry. But sounds like the princeps may be ok with that.

1 hour ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Ahh gotcha, also helpful as I was a little conflicted about where to place my Stonegate form princeps, i had heard they do better in partial shade and have seen examples... but i have also seen there native habitat which is shear cliff sides in open sun. its in a 20g pot now in a place that gets sun maybe 9:30-1:30 then full shade. I may consider a full sun spot, we get 10hrs sunlight and gets really dry. But sounds like the princeps may be ok with that.

I would say any Trachy form N of Atlanta put in full sun is best IMO if you keep watered

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

9 hours ago, Allen said:

I would say any Trachy form N of Atlanta put in full sun is best IMO if you keep watered

Could not agree more. I’m in probably one of the hotter area’s in the coastal SE. My low last night was 79. If you’re  in the PNW I would not hesitate to put any trachy in full sun. In my area they just look like crap, generally. They’re exceptions, and TBH I’m not sure why :wacko:. There are some 30’+ sky scrapers out in full sun not far from me that look okay. Still not as good as some of the big ones I’ve seen in e PNW. Allen said it perfectly IMO. 

• Like 1

Will

Post some pics of your palm when it comes in, you never know...or is it, they/some never know.

Sometimes they post the wrong pics with the palms they are selling...I have seen Washys

in pics on E-bay they were claiming to be Trachys.

• Like 2