IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

So What Caught Your Eye Today?

The Gerg

I was watering an orchid adjacent to it and this palm once again caught my eye for a moment.  I bought it as a 1 gallon Coccothrinax barbadensis.  I'm not so sure that id is correct, but until it gets bigger I'm referring to it as such.  I'll update the name when I get a more accurate id.  Why did ti catch my eye?  The contrasting white abaxial leaf color, the deeply split leaves and its colorful yellow hastula.  Need I say more?

20230525-BH3I1061.jpg

20230525-BH3I1062.jpg

20230525-BH3I1063.jpg

20230525-BH3I1064.jpg

20230525-BH3I1065.jpg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

This particular palm is larger than the others in the yard and about to bloom when they are not.  I always notice it over the others in a cluster opposite the driveway.

20230525_155937.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, flplantguy said:

This particular palm is larger than the others in the yard and about to bloom when they are not.  I always notice it over the others in a cluster opposite the driveway.

20230525_155937.jpg

Species id help?

• Like 1

Sabals in Florida tend towards hybrids because of their ubiquitous nature. However, the fact that it is larger leads to two specific suspects.

Sabal causiarum or the Puerto Rican Hat is one suspect. While far larger than the standard ubiquitous Sabal, they tend to loose their boots even at the juvenile stage of the pictured palm. I have seen Puerto Rican Hat palms next to Royals with similar size and clean trunk. They are magnificent Sabals and a personal favorite.

I believe the most likely suspect is Sabal domingensis, a Sabal from the DR that is also substantially larger than the ubiquitous Sabal in Florida. Juveniles, like the specimen pictured, retain their boots longer and have a similar brawny appearance compared to the standard Florida Sabal.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

What you look for is what is looking

54 minutes ago, bubba said:

Sabals in Florida tend towards hybrids because of their ubiquitous nature. However, the fact that it is larger leads to two specific suspects.

Sabal causiarum or the Puerto Rican Hat is one suspect. While far larger than the standard ubiquitous Sabal, they tend to loose their boots even at the juvenile stage of the pictured palm. I have seen Puerto Rican Hat palms next to Royals with similar size and clean trunk. They are magnificent Sabals and a personal favorite.

I believe the most likely suspect is Sabal domingensis, a Sabal from the DR that is also substantially larger than the ubiquitous Sabal in Florida. Juveniles, like the specimen pictured, retain their boots longer and have a similar brawny appearance compared to the standard Florida Sabal.

I was wondering about that.  The area is one that i would be surprised to see genetics from other palms not native, but this info and the variable nature of all the individuals present makes me second guess that assumption.  In any case im going to try to collect what seed i can.  it was covered in vines until last fall so it may not even have the full crown yet either.  I need a wind and sun block to the northwest and this sturdy type of palm is perfect.

• Like 2

Where are you located? That Sabal dom. may be a real prize and exquisite big Sabal, that will stand out! Congratulations!

1 hour ago, bubba said:

Where are you located? That Sabal dom. may be a real prize and exquisite big Sabal, that will stand out! Congratulations!

Im in hudson (northwest pasco county near the water) in an area that until recently was pretty much ignored. The socioeconomics are very disadvantaged and this has always been a vacant lot, so gardening is a low priority. However that doesnt mean that some pollen didnt travel.  How far could a pollenator carry some? Within a mile would be many possibilities if someone has one that crossbred with it.

• Like 1

Sabal dom’s are from the DR and do not just spring up. There must be a story behind this Palm showing up in Hudson.

Perhaps someone from the DR brought a few in and they are proliferating to some degree in your area. This Palm would not simply spring from between several native Florida Sabals. I would suggest that you look around for others.

1 hour ago, bubba said:

Sabal dom’s are from the DR and do not just spring up. There must be a story behind this Palm showing up in Hudson.

Perhaps someone from the DR brought a few in and they are proliferating to some degree in your area. This Palm would not simply spring from between several native Florida Sabals. I would suggest that you look around for others.

Another thought is the location and history would lend weight to the idea of it being a seed from a garden in tampa dumped when a "contractor" decided to use the parcel as his personal dump.  Many people live here and drive south to work so may have had landscape refuse dumped there.  I have found quite a bit of trash from a while back and it would take moments to stop and drop stuff onto the sand there (19 is close enough past a storage unit that i could possibly throw a rock and hit a car on the road). Its raised as well in that spot there so im thinking a possible seed dumped in lawn trimmings. It has a ton of seedlings just germinated underneath too i will be transplanting this weekend.

• Like 1

You should carry a machete when those bad boys try dumping in your hood! Talking about bad, what is going on here:D4C003B6-F5EB-4DAC-B355-E7607D041267.thumb.jpeg.19f1ec595320eadaa0a152777726f171.jpeg

My young A Purpurea in the front putting out some good new growth heading into its first in ground winter with a nice view other palms in garden. 

20230529_155607[a1].jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

This sabal that is regrowing after being massacred by the landscapers responsible for eliminating plants around the power plant that are growing in unwanted spaces....

20230530_145650.thumb.jpg.79750a092d9135a05bdeaf309a151204.jpg

• Like 10

Nice full CIDP crown in the yard beyond the "submarine" house.

PXL_20230530_151940739.thumb.jpg.c40d6ed02384a0ab709ef0e614871dc2.jpg

• Like 3

Chris

San Francisco, CA 

Other than the coco, I don’t want to butcher the plant IDs. Saw these on Anna Maria Island in FL. 

IMG_5743.jpeg

IMG_5735.jpeg

IMG_5733.jpeg

IMG_5752.jpeg

IMG_5751.jpeg

IMG_5757.jpeg

IMG_5758.jpeg

IMG_5737.jpeg

IMG_5738.jpeg

• Like 10

Drinkin coffee while scoping out the backyard. Noticed my Ficus Dammaropsis is shooting out new growth at every possible location after I cut back some hefty branches a few months ago. Also the leaves are getting substantially bigger and bigger.  Super happy where it’s at. 

-dale 

IMG_5219.jpeg

IMG_5214.jpeg

IMG_5218.jpeg

IMG_5217.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Not really sure what I’ve been calling Dypsis lafazamanga is correct but, I’m assuming it’s a Chrysalidocarpus now. 

Tim

IMG_3015.jpeg

IMG_3014.jpeg

IMG_3013.jpeg

IMG_3203.jpeg

• Like 10

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

That is absolutely stunning but very different than what I’m growing as Lafazamanga from Floribunda. In any case, it’s gorgeous. 

• Like 1

Those Dammaropsis are flippin monsterous!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bubba said:

Those Dammaropsis are flippin monsterous!

Totally. It started out as a stick ‘bout the size of a broomstick 2yrs ago. Easily the fastest grow in my garden. West facing blazing sun and average water. 

-dale 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 7:40 AM, flplantguy said:

In any case im going to try to collect what seed i can.

Seed size and shape are good indicators of Sabal species.  Sabal causiarum seeds are 5.9 to 7.8 mm in diameter compared to Sabal domingensis seeds which are 8.0 to 10.4 mm according to Palmpedia.  The typical Florida Sabal palmetto seeds are slightly smaller than causiarum.

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

Dypsis(Chrysalidocarpus) caniculata on the left and Dypsis (Chrysalidocarpus) ovobontsira on the right

image.thumb.jpeg.b3f1003b1ede2fb122e6a27bf9917d8d.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Upvote 3

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

6 hours ago, ellidro said:

Dypsis(Chrysalidocarpus) caniculata on the left and Dypsis (Chrysalidocarpus) ovobontsira on the right

image.thumb.jpeg.b3f1003b1ede2fb122e6a27bf9917d8d.jpeg

That Chrysalidocarpus caniculatus is getting close to the trunking stage.  Well done with both of these challenging palms in our climate.  Iam guessingon the correct name,  switching the suffix to the same male as we did with others when going from female Dypsis to male Chrysalidocarpus.   Hooray, we saw sun two days in a row this afternoon.   Perhaps there is a summer coming. 

• Like 2

Reproductive push on one of my two Chrysalidocarpus prestonianus.  I thought I had one enormous inflorescence going, but just noticed there is a second one pushing now!  Do you think it will push out enough flowers?

20230604-BH3I1154.jpg

20230604-BH3I1136.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Reproductive push on one of my two Chrysalidocarpus prestonianus

Was a treat to catch up with you and see it in person yesterday, Tracy. Still the photos don't quite do it justice...that thing is massive! 

• Like 2

P Sylvestris seedling (thats what its supposed to be), or is it a seedling at this point? When does it cross that line? 

Anyways, this was one of the first ever pinnate palms ive ever germinated before, and its doing amazing. Its growing faster than the other seedlings, which are all still strap leaf. This one though, already getting those partially pinnate fronds. This photo was taken about a week ago. The palm was germinated in early 2021 iirc. 

Itll be interesting to watch this thing as it gets bigger, because im sure this isnt a pure sylvestris, its bound to be a hybrid of some sort. It should be ready for the ground by next year!

IMG_20230601_192316205.jpg

• Like 3

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

6 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Bentinckia condapanna (ignore the mess around it). 

IMG_3132.jpeg

Beautiful!! Wish we could grow it in South Florida. Seems to melt in our summer heat and lack of any significant daytime/nighttime temp gap.

• Like 2

Clinostigma savoryanum, one of the most elegant palms in the garden. 

Tim

IMG_3420.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii