IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

So What Caught Your Eye Today?

The Gerg

It appears that the picture may not have loaded for some, so ill repost again. This time ill add a bonus pic.

Heres the Queen. The rain from lastnight caused the frond to get heavy enough to finally fall into place, i was wondering how long it was gonna stay confined up there.
IMG_20230512_070840738_HDR.thumb.jpg.530c5582ad94bcece6f8a3245f45708d.jpg

Now for the bonus, my basjoo bananas are really taking off, and they have some pups coming in as well.
IMG_20230512_101352621.thumb.jpg.c8a78092cbca4a2890d5b2e198ccf933.jpg

• Like 6

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

I would love to see a few tolerant crownshaft palms in special places there in central london. Im sure some courtyards would be ideal to try one of the smaller or slower growing ones. 

• Like 2

My Dypsis Baronii shed a leaf base today to expose some cool coloring. What really caught my eye was the emerging new growth splitting the existing trunk. Bought this as a 1G not even 2yrs ago with only 1 stalk. This will make 4 now. Good growth. Hard to get a decent picture. 

-dale

04ED328B-883C-4C50-83A4-F7CDEC181A96.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, flplantguy said:

I would love to see a few tolerant crownshaft palms in special places there in central london. Im sure some courtyards would be ideal to try one of the smaller or slower growing ones. 

I have archontophoenix cunninghamiana, Rhopalostylis sapida and chambeyronia oliviformis to name a few. Crownshafted palms are not commonly sold here other than chamedorea elegans and as far as I'm aware there's no one else trying new palms in central London unfortunately. You do see quite a few howea forsteriana in pots left outside year round though since they are commonly sold here. I do have lots of Rhopalostylis sapida seedlings and a few archontophoenix seedlings that I might plant out parks in central London so people can see them. If they could be planted right next to a building it would be frost free. In the city of London (the warmest part) where the low all winter was 30f near the river Thames there were cannas and bananas completely undamaged next to a wall. It must have kept the temperature where the plants are just above freezing. The same for a potted monstera deliciosa that was undamaged in the city of Westminster. Birds of paradise in my garden and around central London seemed to also have hardly any frost damage despite the usually cold winter we had. 

• Like 2

Some neighborhood stuff:

Beefy Bismarckia.. Yard design looks good, but needs more than just gravel though.

IMG_1683.thumb.JPG.f938fb807d8c6707416e3631fdfa4279.JPG

..Another that almost escaped my view..  Finding more and more of these in yards around here the last few years ( a good thing )

IMG_1718.thumb.JPG.15c46e51389da3ab72c252fb53757ec5.JPG

A couple more examples of " Desert Pygmys " ( Posted others for someone in the Cold Hardy section )  Very common sight in yards in this particular area.

IMG_1684.thumb.JPG.c5d73fc1c26545068b3977bf154ec308.JPG

IMG_1689.thumb.JPG.f0d8bb81657e84b31f9c96fe5975443c.JPG

$  "common"  palms.. Chunky Brahea armata, a Pygmy,  Chamaerhops hiding behind the Brahea, w/ Washingtonia in the background ..and reflected in the window..

IMG_1739.thumb.JPG.fb035b879596f7d243ba06123a4ecf4b.JPG

A very " that's an interesting combo " ..Pygmy and Creosote Bush " Tree " ??..  Yes, that well known desert plant that often looks like  scrappy and thirsty out in the desert can turn into a very attractive landscape option when given a little extra TLC in a landscape.. Have seen it used as a barrier type hedge. Trimmed a bit too much, but otherwise pretty decent looking for the application.  From a distance, those specimens look like Boxwood, but smell better / flowers are much nicer.

IMG_1735.thumb.JPG.d7f8b8bc2440a42a2c56d811e61fe325.JPG

The " multi-trunk " patio-tree " idea is interesting and, to me at least, looks pretty good.  Intriguing next to a Pygmy though....

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Thrinax radiata in the shade and poorly trimmed:BA144ACA-DDF4-484A-A34A-D46C01D0E425.thumb.jpeg.b59767f6f9be86ab47b6f4cb272e7945.jpeg

• Like 4

What you look for is what is looking

C.Metallica showing some color whole trying to set seed. Which I know won't happen =/ 

T J 

20230514_170429.jpg

• Like 8

T J 

On 5/14/2023 at 8:14 AM, Billy said:

The white crownshaft on Dypsis ambositrae…

Billy, show the foliage on that one.  The trunk and crownshaft reminds me of Chrysalidocarpus plumosus, which used to be sold as Dypsis ambositrae 13 or 14 years ago here in Southern California.  I planted a grouping of three that I bought back in 2011, which had the Dypsis ambositrae crossed out and corrected to Dypsis plumosa which the plants had been assigned to.  Perry didn't do a good job of keeping it watered back in the day and they croaked before we remodeled and moved into the house.  I later planted some other Dypsis plumosa (Chrysalidocarpus plumosus) in the garden which are now similar size and appearance to that trunk and crownshaft.

What caught my eye today?  Leptotes bicolor orchid in bloom hanging off my Chambeyronia houailou.

20230511-BH3I0963.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

@TracyGood to see you briefly yesterday. I had also heard about the previous confusion between the two species (ambositrae and plumosa). I believe this palm to be Chrysalidocarpus ambositrae, but whatever it is, it's certainly the same species as the one you have growing in the front. This palm is a recent transplant from Terry's garden and although we did root pruning a few times, we unfortunately weren't able to get much of a root ball due to how narrow the area is where the palm was living previously. It's definitely going through some serious transplant shock now and I won't be surprised if it doesn't pull through but I'm gunna be patient with it and won't give up on it until it completely croaks. If it ends up being a total wash I'll still feel good about our effort in trying to save the palm from being chainsawed and thrown into Terry's green waste bin. In that case I'll start over with a smaller planting of the same species because I've always been so impressed with the one you have in the front yard. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Billy said:

Chrysalidocarpus ambositrae, but whatever it is, it's certainly the same species as the one you have growing in the front

Yes, that crown of leaves confirms it.  I hope that it pulls through for you as this is one of my favorite palms right now for our area.  Must have missed this the last time I walked by.  Sorry I didn't stop longer, I was on my way to pick up Mother's Day dinner.  Glad you & Perry got a chance to reconnect briefly too.

• Like 3

Entryway howea in my neighborhood. There's a small cutout in the concrete, so it's in the ground back there.

PXL_20230515_182923966.thumb.jpg.d6f4644f44e50068e936036560237a41.jpg

• Like 7

Chris

San Francisco, CA 

'Nother pair of chunky armata.. Med Fan to the left looking good too..

IMG_1988.thumb.JPG.cdcf17e552f8a85f3015bae282ab027f.JPG

...And a previously un seen Sabal a block away..  More of these in residential landscapes / local Parks please :greenthumb:

IMG_1986.thumb.JPG.e445067e11ad739757cd9eab3f4807f0.JPG

• Like 4

This hydrostele and arenga are doing really good for me 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 15

My Chrysalidocarpus ambositrae in the backyard is finally getting a little more open space around it again with other things growing up.  It catches my eye a little more frequently now and after trimming some adjacent plants after winter.  It is still challenging to get photos though.  A few other items sharing the scene.  What can you pick out sharing the scene?

20230516-BH3I0986.jpg

20230516-BH3I0985.jpg

• Like 14
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

A few other items sharing the scene.  What can you pick out sharing the scene?

I'm horrible with Encephelartos ID's but as for the palms I'm pretty sure I see nearby "Teddy" and D. prestoniana (Chrysalidocarpus prestonianus). I'll take a stab in the dark and add in Ravenea glauca.....

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Billy said:

I'm horrible with Encephelartos ID's but as for the palms I'm pretty sure I see nearby "Teddy" and D. prestoniana (Chrysalidocarpus prestonianus). I'll take a stab in the dark and add in Ravenea glauca.....

That Ravenea glauca was a tough one to pick out in the background, good job.  A couple of other Chrysalidocarpus leaves hanging in the foreground (cabadae & rufescens) .  Yes, you have to know your Encephalartos to id the cycads but did you see the orchid blossom in the one photo upper right?  Bright yellow pendant flower.

• Like 1

Long shot near the Breaker’s with a Royal Poinciana going off:A7E15D53-BB10-46D7-ABD1-4B36F61C3C50.thumb.jpeg.44e4e7cf6b4ad3a55a51827913e9eb6b.jpeg

• Like 2

Here’s a C. Thouarsii pup I collected over the winter.  It has taken root and is pushing out a new leaf. 

IMG_5644.jpeg

• Like 7

Cocos nucifera on a quiet road next to the beach:804A6F6B-9C06-4733-9171-CD2F21E9EE80.thumb.jpeg.b8770d4f6edccd4744d1c3acc2a5770c.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Red Areca vestiaria popped a variegated frond. Normal new fronds can be seen behind it. 

IMG_5941.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 2

That the Dypsis decipiens that I planted first (with reddish petioles,  from a different origin then the others) and that always grew slower is finally gaining height

20230519_151805.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

20230519_151820.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

On 5/15/2023 at 6:03 PM, Tracy said:

Billy, show the foliage on that one.  The trunk and crownshaft reminds me of Chrysalidocarpus plumosus, which used to be sold as Dypsis ambositrae 13 or 14 years ago here in Southern California.  I planted a grouping of three that I bought back in 2011, which had the Dypsis ambositrae crossed out and corrected to Dypsis plumosa which the plants had been assigned to.  Perry didn't do a good job of keeping it watered back in the day and they croaked before we remodeled and moved into the house.  I later planted some other Dypsis plumosa (Chrysalidocarpus plumosus) in the garden which are now similar size and appearance to that trunk and crownshaft.

What caught my eye today?  Leptotes bicolor orchid in bloom hanging off my Chambeyronia houailou.

20230511-BH3I0963.jpg

Nice! Leptotes bicolor is a native orchid in my state Paraná.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

What caught my eye was the beautifull collor of the crownshaft of this Dypsis decipiens after the dead sheat was removed from two trunks

20230524_120022.jpg

20230524_120101.jpg

20230524_120238.jpg

20230524_120203.jpg

• Like 16
  • Upvote 1

I agree with edbrown_III. It’s loving its location. 

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

My still young Pritchardia bakeri is opening a new leaf.  I had to get off the walkway and around to the other side of the palm so I could enjoy seeing the lepidia on the abaxial side of the leaf.

20230523-BH3I1021.jpg

20230523-BH3I1021-2.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

This Chrysalidocarpus (Dypsis) Prestoniana Hybrid catches my eye everyday, but even more today since a leaf base fell off to reveal some orange on the crownshaft. 

E84D2007-7897-475C-BA30-E70EFBD12A76.thumb.jpeg.e633b2a89c77346261dca13ebf6d2952.jpeg

15B93BB1-7C68-44FB-8B15-C7BF867BDECC.thumb.jpeg.6ffd098238af8781c99ee2f2506fd0e2.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Upvote 1

Oh Jason, it’s gonna get HUGE! 😅

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

5 hours ago, realarch said:

Oh Jason, it’s gonna get HUGE! 😅

You’ll be able to see it from your house soon 😂😂

• Like 2