Jump to content
  • WELCOME GUEST

    It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

    Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

    PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

    guest Renda04.jpg

So What Caught Your Eye Today?


The Gerg

Recommended Posts

Iriartea deltoidea flowering….again.

Tim

IMG_9626.jpeg

IMG_9627.jpeg

IMG_9628.jpeg

  • Like 20
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This Coccothrinax boschiana caught my eye today. I love the silvery white color under the leaves and the fibrous leaf sheaths. 

IMG_9053.jpeg

  • Like 14
  • Upvote 1

18n. Hot, humid and salty coastal conditions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These two poles among the palmage at ANSG:C85CB85B-863E-4F8B-8D3A-4DEBB9FD7DAC.thumb.jpeg.38bb661ab9ff344b3d7d9e1d6e4abfa0.jpeg

  • Like 6

What you look for is what is looking

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cocothrinax barbadensis:

0ED68AD3-A295-43E7-87E1-53017213E25B.thumb.jpeg.5fc9cf3843e29071029037fcbb62d16f.jpeg

  • Like 4

What you look for is what is looking

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some old Calyptrocalyx elegans indigenous to New Guinea growing at ANSG:

7D1C8770-1F03-4C0C-9B49-7F84E0E85398.thumb.jpeg.a6e4d6da9bfe3988c54cdee2aceedba0.jpeg

  • Like 9

What you look for is what is looking

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This new spear on a Coccothrinax moaensis caught my eye today. Can’t wait to get these in the ground.

 

IMG_9124.jpeg

  • Like 10

18n. Hot, humid and salty coastal conditions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brahea armata, beachside Santa Monica (by my house). image.jpeg.dcb9ea9b50b7aa31002d38e236d3b2d2.jpeg

  • Like 12
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chrysalidocarpus (most likely) cabadae but lanceolota may still be a possibility. Nevertheless a cool palm:

D4669DB0-5861-4AA2-9AFD-382517DF0E62.thumb.jpeg.9786dc33841516758f6044e90c50d3c5.jpeg

  • Like 8

What you look for is what is looking

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coccothrinax pumila, one day I’m going to regret planting it so close to the sidewalk but for now it looks pretty cool where it is.

 

IMG_9148.jpeg

  • Like 8

18n. Hot, humid and salty coastal conditions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

while checking some palms outside the wall but - still on my property - I got aware a humming sound and looked up...

vj006-06-2024.thumb.jpg.4b61f42f9af76e54adc72cefc87e9d00.jpg

...seeing again our local bees being attracted by the flowering V. joannis (sp?)....

vj007-06-2024.thumb.jpg.4925f03f2e6148770c2ae32c3752d91d.jpg

vj008-06-2024.thumb.jpg.dcb5c910bed7fd79eae3827774310143.jpg

They are a gorgeous species and I am glad to have already some babies from these mother palms. 

 

Lars

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

An interesting pinanga from the kelibat highlands. Immature seeds red at an early stage. Going black when ripe 20240629_101729.thumb.jpg.19f31d5a91f984c9111aaec549647d30.jpg20240628_171820.thumb.jpg.1dcc8939f34657cb71f90ab0bf7bc7b4.jpg20240628_163534.thumb.jpg.c9cfe52a80714d5f5d300f5d7b38698d.jpg

  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

509A55AE-B4BD-4829-BF75-38A0EFFE367C.thumb.jpeg.6a5ef1d97d2c3a12dc9e18dcaf5f016d.jpeg

  • Like 5

What you look for is what is looking

Link to comment
Share on other sites

H. begunii growing at ANSG:

928DD681-8E5A-4E0E-99E5-90406F4869A5.thumb.jpeg.70bb84073f9063847777865d3e227d68.jpeg

  • Like 3

What you look for is what is looking

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Brian said:

Coccothrinax pumila, one day I’m going to regret planting it so close to the sidewalk but for now it looks pretty cool where it is.

 

IMG_9148.jpeg

They grow so slow , you have plenty of time to enjoy it . I planted a baby Pritchardia near a pathway over 20 years ago . The poor thing had to be trimmed on one side repeatedly so that we could walk by without being hindered. This year it is finally overhead and will be able to bear its full compliment of lovely fronds. Harry

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, palmfriend said:

Hi,

while checking some palms outside the wall but - still on my property - I got aware a humming sound and looked up...

vj006-06-2024.thumb.jpg.4b61f42f9af76e54adc72cefc87e9d00.jpg

...seeing again our local bees being attracted by the flowering V. joannis (sp?)....

vj007-06-2024.thumb.jpg.4925f03f2e6148770c2ae32c3752d91d.jpg

vj008-06-2024.thumb.jpg.dcb5c910bed7fd79eae3827774310143.jpg

They are a gorgeous species and I am glad to have already some babies from these mother palms. 

 

Lars

 

When my Syagrus flower , the bees go nuts . Almost a frenzy of activity all over the large inflorescences . Those are a couple of very nice palms! Harry

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Full photo of the palm posted earlier. The biggest I've seen. I think it would have garden potential. Growing at 950m.

Back to Miri tomorrow. Lambir Hills NP on my agenda...20240630_105501.thumb.jpg.86d0ef71020cd5b22c8d68e0b227b8e7.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Coccothrinax borhidiana hybrid really stood out to me yesterday and this morning. 

20240629_082815.jpg

20240630_075820.jpg

20240630_075839.jpg

  • Like 14
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pinanga baviensis I think it’s spelled that way . I love this palm

IMG_7471.jpeg

IMG_7472.jpeg

  • Like 14
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/24/2024 at 5:18 PM, realarch said:

Iriartea deltoidea flowering….again.

Tim

IMG_9626.jpeg

IMG_9627.jpeg

IMG_9628.jpeg

i love how architecturally and geometric the spread on these are.  if I lived in HI I would grow a row of these.  by far one of my favorite palms that I can only wish I could grow in my desert hot dry Socal climate.  do you know if they do well as indoor potted palms?  

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This always catches my eye...

DSC_9264.thumb.jpg.6ec4be69e198758363b549df5f4287a1.jpg

 

  • Like 20
  • Upvote 2

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, tinman10101 said:

i love how architecturally and geometric the spread on these are.  if I lived in HI I would grow a row of these.  by far one of my favorite palms that I can only wish I could grow in my desert hot dry Socal climate.  do you know if they do well as indoor potted palms?  

Tin, I agree about how attractive these palms are. I had never seen one until a trip to the Amazon…love at first sight. (Hence the avatar}. 

Tim

  • Like 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Daryl said:

This always catches my eye...

DSC_9264.thumb.jpg.6ec4be69e198758363b549df5f4287a1.jpg

 

Good Grief Daryl! I think you should dig it up and move it up to Paul’s place. 😁

  • Like 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chrysalidocarpus Malcomberi showing nice color (and its first ring of trunk) after the leaf base came off 

IMG_1589.thumb.jpeg.97e499478de7fe1c9d456729b3423e0a.jpeg

  • Like 12
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmmm, lovely Jason. Can you take a photo of the leaf arrangement for me?

Have you recovered from Saturday?

Tim

  • Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I moved a large patio umbrella that we rarely use and leave stashed on the driveway with a cover on it.  After moving it forward, away from our gate, I could get an improved photo angle of my largest palm growing as Ravenea julietiae.  It's still hidden partially behind that potted Macrozamia communis, but one can get a decent sense of its size and structure.  Its still a long ways away from forming any trunk.  The new perspective was what has been drawing my attention to it the last few days.

20240701-BH3I3817.jpg

20240701-BH3I3818.jpg

  • Like 14
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Veichia simulins 

IMG_7508.jpeg

  • Like 10
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pinanga sp.

image.jpg

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Tracy said:

I moved a large patio umbrella that we rarely use and leave stashed on the driveway with a cover on it.  After moving it forward, away from our gate, I could get an improved photo angle of my largest palm growing as Ravenea julietiae.  It's still hidden partially behind that potted Macrozamia communis, but one can get a decent sense of its size and structure.  Its still a long ways away from forming any trunk.  The new perspective was what has been drawing my attention to it the last few days.

20240701-BH3I3817.jpg

20240701-BH3I3818.jpg

That thing is going to me a monster. It’s beautiful 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Update on Hydriastele longispatha at ANSG:

192525C8-39B6-4E61-AC3C-E80BCD807696.thumb.jpeg.73944a6cfc4cc1445c4f6dec4e02b4d3.jpeg

  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52F73191-105C-4A1F-96A2-B39C353EE3FB.thumb.jpeg.a907ef534a0729e8979dd71ba10978e4.jpeg

What you look for is what is looking

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pinanga miribilis always excites. A fruitful morning.20240703_105156.thumb.jpg.dc8c5131fddea8e565b19367e985a599.jpg20240703_105244.thumb.jpg.45b7862efabd50a69dc1f1eb3d49a2bd.jpg

  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Palmy shot at Four Arts. Count the species.ECB6E138-A4C0-4CDF-BA55-22ADD7523E81.thumb.jpeg.569a7b5e7a8be9364a640cd05f273e9c.jpeg

  • Like 8

What you look for is what is looking

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sunrise over the jungle! Then , a happy surprise from my Dioon Spinalosa. What a way to start my day. HarryIMG_4032.thumb.jpeg.5d087aa294a43c40dd55b1b5dc70cb60.jpegIMG_4031.thumb.jpeg.260d75568a91aa61e922399540a9b577.jpeg

  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2024 at 11:07 AM, realarch said:

Hmmm, lovely Jason. Can you take a photo of the leaf arrangement for me?

Have you recovered from Saturday?

Tim

No time for recovery as we went straight into moving to the new house!  Feels crazy to be finished with the house build and living out on the ocean! 

Here are a couple more photos of that Malcomberi, the leaves are very irregular, almost plumose: 

IMG_1647.thumb.jpeg.74f45342ffb185ad5e19d3e0450ddeed.jpeg
 

IMG_1646.thumb.jpeg.00e17722f818d69dd82bed4f22b7c61e.jpeg

IMG_1645.thumb.jpeg.5203c816024c59cfc6433ad9ba986bde.jpeg

  • Like 10
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mahalo Jason! Wow, made the big move……congratulations!! Definitely need to pay you a visit in the near future. Hmmm……wonder what kind of house warming gift I could bring.

Tim

  • Like 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Old clump of Ptychosperma macarthurii at ANSG:5BC7135D-F6E9-4126-B0FA-0FB6EDF9251A.thumb.jpeg.33811b2badbb210d4c258d1f54b5ccd6.jpeg

  • Like 8

What you look for is what is looking

Link to comment
Share on other sites

D9A32940-ADA9-4EEB-BC6F-ADB308CDF194.thumb.jpeg.37f1107c231a1882f11147805648f0be.jpeg

  • Like 1

What you look for is what is looking

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/2/2024 at 8:38 PM, sgvcns said:

Pinanga miribilis always excites. A fruitful morning.20240703_105156.thumb.jpg.dc8c5131fddea8e565b19367e985a599.jpg20240703_105244.thumb.jpg.45b7862efabd50a69dc1f1eb3d49a2bd.jpg

Thanks for the post. I can’t believe I’ve never heard of or seen this species. I may hae to start looking for one.

Tim

  • Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chrysalidocarpus baronii dropped a frond and showed off its base today.

PXL_20240705_234523233.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recently Browsing

    • realarch
×
×
  • Create New...