IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

So What Caught Your Eye Today?

The Gerg

One of my Obi Islands flowering for the first time and a Joey I have been growing for about 3 years. 

IMG_0064.jpeg

IMG_0063.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, realarch said:

Nice photos Brad. That particular Alocasia is attractive and a prolific reproducer.  Over the next few years  they’ll be popping up frequently around your yard. Not a bad thing. 

Tim

I’ll keep an eye toward making that happen, many of my alocasia & colocasia have floundered due to being too dry I think.

19 minutes ago, John hovancsek said:

This pigafetta is killing it this morning. Seed grown 4-5 years old

image.jpg

Terrifying growth rates John!

A Kerriodoxa Elegans that I attempted to kill a year or so ago. It was chopped basically all the way to the ground, but apparently is making a comeback! 

IMG_4788.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

On 12/9/2023 at 2:44 PM, Hurricanepalms said:

One of my Obi Islands flowering for the first time and a Joey I have been growing for about 3 years. 

IMG_0064.jpeg

IMG_0063.jpeg

@Hurricanepalms The Obi looks great. I just planted a larger 3 gallon one in the backyard last week.  Looking forward to watching it get the size of yours. Has that been a slow grower?

Hi @Beachpalms, I have 4 of them planted in different parts of my yard and I would say they are a solid medium growth rate. They prefer sun over shade. By far my slowest growing one is in a mostly shaded location. The one that is flowering was planted as a large 3 gallon about 3 years ago. Another nice thing about them is that even though they have entire or mostly entire leaves, they are quite thick and leathery so they don’t tear up in the wind as easily as other palms with similar leaf types. 

Also mine have a range of leaves. The one that is flowering probably has the most segmented leaves (even before the wind gets to it) and I have two that produce mostly entire leaves. I have noticed that as they get larger they seem to develop leaves with more segments. 

Edited by Hurricanepalms
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 2:44 PM, Hurricanepalms said:

IMG_0064.jpeg

IMG_0063.jpeg

I have 3 of the OBI's i bought several years ago, wish I had bought more. So far really easy growers, 2 still in pots on the porch, 1 in the ground. All 3 flowered for the first time this fall, hoping for seeds. Really like this palm a lot.  Awesome joey, my luck has not been great with them. 

Edited by redant
  • Like 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

2 hours ago, Hurricanepalms said:

Hi @Beachpalms, I have 4 of them planted in different parts of my yard and I would say they are a solid medium growth rate. They prefer sun over shade. By far my slowest growing one is in a mostly shaded location. The one that is flowering was planted as a large 3 gallon about 3 years ago. Another nice thing about them is that even though they have entire or mostly entire leaves, they are quite thick and leathery so they don’t tear up in the wind as easily as other palms with similar leaf types. 

Also mine have a range of leaves. The one that is flowering probably has the most segmented leaves (even before the wind gets to it) and I have two that produce mostly entire leaves. I have noticed that as they get larger they seem to develop leaves with more segments. 

@Hurricanepalms They will be put to the test with the wind we have this week. 

8 hours ago, Brad52 said:

Today this Veitchia caught me eye, about 3 years ago it fit inside my Subaru comfortably.

D9A16BE5-94BD-4C98-B5FB-88792EB8DA72.jpeg

Think it might be a Carpentaria. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

7 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

Obtained as V arecina, which Carpentaria might it be instead?  I've obtained a few Veitchia here as either joannis or arecina and sometimes the joannis look like those obtained as arecina so I've never trusted the ID's, and I have another that is a twin to my photo and was obtained as joannis...so I've been wondering about them all.

EDIT:  Ha, never mind, I see there is only one specie listed for Carpentaira!

Edited by Brad52

13 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

I think I agree with this due to the thin leaflets and lack of black fuzz that veitchia seem to have.  

3 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

I think I agree with this due to the thin leaflets and lack of black fuzz that veitchia seem to have.  

That is good to know thank you both!  This means then, that I have 2 of them, each from a different source with a different name, one was apparently from a labelled plant in a public space as V joannis, the other from a plant sale at that same public space, sold to me as V arecina...

Flaming bananas caught my eye this morning! All this wind must have convinced this CM to open up its new frond. 

822C21BE-AAA0-4FCF-8939-390B7587EA9B.jpeg

E6D4C1B4-590D-4ADB-A40D-AAE3EB5A8063.jpeg

• Like 14

A companion plant to my palms caught my eye this morning.   Such a vibrant red as we approach the winter solstice in the Northern hemisphere. 

20231218_133013.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Chambeyronia oliviformis not to be outdone by its family members. Not nearly trunking yet and already 3m/10’ tall. New fronds open a nice blue colour and it lasts until the elements eventually wash off the wax. 

IMG_0090.jpeg

• Like 14

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

On 12/19/2023 at 4:45 PM, Hurricanepalms said:

Cuban petticoat shining in the sun after several dreary days. 

IMG_0087.jpeg

Boy, that’s really nice!

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

15 hours ago, Brad52 said:

Today my Mauritia caught my eye

IMG_2221.jpeg

Hey Brad, you’re lucky you don’t have deep soil, these things get UGE! I’m always afraid mine will eat me one of these days.

Tim

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim, this one is planted in what I call the pond and at the lowest part of that which is a point where one lava flow mound ends and another begins, it used to get 4-5' of water for several hours during bigger rains but my work changed water flow some and it has not been raining much the past 2 years here (until recently!)  It's planted in silty soil that ranges from dry as hell to muck, and due to the topography is is maybe 5-6' lower than the rest of the yard.  

I generally avoid larger palms, I have this, one bismarkia and 2 Metroxylon amicarum on the entire acre, I've avoided all of the large Dypsis etc thus far out of that fear!

Hey Brad, I just posted the Mauritia I have in the garden under that Peruvian ID thread. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

5 minutes ago, Hurricanepalms said:

@John2468 the damage you are seeing is from excessive salt exposure. 

Thanks!! I was a bit confused since the browning was never there before. 

Edited by John2468
  • Like 1