IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

trachycarpus fortunei to deep?

ZPalms

I bought this trachy from a nursery a couple weeks ago and I just looked at the trunk. and I'm unsure, but I feel like it was planted too deep in this pot? I just want a second opinion if it's supposed to be this deep because there are roots growing higher than the bottom of it, so I'm confused.

I tried to take the best photos and video I could, but if I need to take more I can

IMG_2865.jpg

IMG_2866.jpg

Edited by ZPalms

It'll be fine. Bruh so many of my palms literally have pushed themselves up out of their pots leaving roots exposed.... 

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

It'll be fine. Bruh so many of my palms literally have pushed themselves up out of their pots leaving roots exposed.... 

I'm more worried about trunk rot due to the soil covering half the trunk

9 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

I'm more worried about trunk rot due to the soil covering half the trunk

I misinterpreted

You can always repot it. Target has some cheap ass bottom watering pots that are actually pretty legit. I've got a dozen or so of them. 

My beefy Washy Dirty Sanchez lives in the 16 inch and my giant cat palm Garfield and my Majesty Groot Junior live in the 14". They're like $10 pots and it's impossible to overwater them since it flows out of the uhhh fill hole 

10 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I misinterpreted

You can always repot it. Target has some cheap ass bottom watering pots that are actually pretty legit. I've got a dozen or so of them. 

My beefy Washy Dirty Sanchez lives in the 16 inch and my giant cat palm Garfield and my Majesty Groot Junior live in the 14". They're like $10 pots and it's impossible to overwater them since it flows out of the uhhh fill hole 

Oh, so you do think it's buried deep? I'm planning on planting it out eventually but I'm not sure if I'm suppose to bury it where it is now or raise it up

11 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Oh, so you do think it's buried deep? I'm planning on planting it out eventually but I'm not sure if I'm suppose to bury it where it is now or raise it up

Lol I dunno. I really don't. I'd wait for some PNW people like @Jesse PNW to chime in. I have zero Trachy knowledge. 

• Like 1

Thanks but I'm a horrible source for knowledge, you're better off getting advice from @Chester B or @Palm crazy or @Hutch.  

I'd say it's a little deep, probably not enough to hurt it, but I normally dig away that excess stuff away, regardless of what kind of palm it is.   

• Like 1

I'd clear away potting soil till you see the top of the roots at the trunk then just cover them

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

7 hours ago, Allen said:

I'd clear away potting soil till you see the top of the roots at the trunk then just cover them

7 hours ago, Chester B said:

Looks like it might be a little deep, I'd do as @Allen says.

Apperciate it! What about the roots that grew past the bottom of the palm do I let them airprune?

1 minute ago, Palmlover_78 said:

root.jpg

Theirs some roots above the soil line and go past the trunk, I'm not sure what I should do with them

Edited by ZPalms

1 minute ago, ZPalms said:

Theirs some roots above the soil line and go past the trunk, I'm not sure what I should do with them

I have had this going on with my Manila Palms, as long as the roots are covered, you can pile up some soil around them, The bottoms of a Trachys Trunk is round, almost tulip bulb shape, 1/2 to a 1" of soil is all that is needed, OK please don't judge I am drawing this out of kindness lol That is where the soil line and root zone should be. The blue are roots

plant.png

6 minutes ago, Palmlover_78 said:

I have had this going on with my Manila Palms, as long as the roots are covered, you can pile up some soil around them, The bottoms of a Trachys Trunk is round, almost tulip bulb shape, 1/2 to a 1" of soil is all that is needed, OK please don't judge I am drawing this out of kindness lol That is where the soil line and root zone should be. The blue are roots

plant.png

The roots are kinda like this, I cant cover those roots because they are so high above the bottom of the palm 

hgthtrhth.png

11 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

The roots are kinda like this, I cant cover those roots because they are so high above the bottom of the palm 

hgthtrhth.png

Ohh That's fine :), Mine do that too I just let the air dry them out , they eventually fall off , No Worries ok :D

• Like 1

Just now, Palmlover_78 said:

Ohh That's fine :), Mine do that too I just let the air dry them out , they eventually fall off , No Worries ok :D

Good Drawing Though :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Palmlover_78 said:

Oh that's great! thank you! :D

Edited by ZPalms

Definitely too deep. I would move it slightly up. In the wild it is normal for palms to have exposed roots, but almost never do you see them overly buried in soil. 

• Like 1

Funny story I think it was on Banana Joe's videos he said someone planted their Trachy palm with just the green spear area poking out and buried the 'trunk' and thought the fibers were roots I guess.

Edited by Allen
  • Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Here is my thought:

What is more important to you; having a root stick out of the ground and possibly dying or having trunk rot and killing the whole plant?

You choose.

On 7/4/2022 at 5:40 PM, Born said:

Here is my thought:

What is more important to you; having a root stick out of the ground and possibly dying or having trunk rot and killing the whole plant?

You choose.

Palms rarely die from exposed roots. It is common for mature palms to have a portion of the root system above ground.

On 7/7/2022 at 4:51 AM, Zeni said:

Palms rarely die from exposed roots. It is common for mature palms to have a portion of the root system above ground.

I know. I never said a root sticking out would cause the plant to die. I said a root sticking out of the ground and possibly dying. That’s what I said. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

repotting this palm and cleaning off and changing the soil completely was the best thing I could of done for it, It's doing so much better than it was 2 years ago and since it's recovery the scale isn't an issue anymore and the yellow leaves recovered back to green and next season it will go into the ground 🥰

Edited by ZPalms