IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mule palm

Fusca

When I sold my house in San Antonio last month I offered this palm to another local Palmtalker which he agreed to come and dig out but after a month he obviously doesn't want it.  The new owners are friends of mine and don't really like palms so they plan to have it removed.  I hate to see it go to waste and it's a little too big to try and move in my car!  It's free to anyone who can come over and dig it out.  These palms transplant well and this one survived 9° in February 2021 (photo is pre-freeze)  PM me for details.111910925_mule1.jpg.af3d71491051959921dd2c5c45f43282.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 3

Jon Sunder

• 4 weeks later...

Most definitely would be a waste , come on San Antonio give this palm a new home !!! 

T J 

• Upvote 1

T J 

On 6/26/2022 at 1:51 PM, Fusca said:

When I sold my house in San Antonio last month I offered this palm to another local Palmtalker which he agreed to come and dig out but after a month he obviously doesn't want it.  The new owners are friends of mine and don't really like palms so they plan to have it removed.  I hate to see it go to waste and it's a little too big to try and move in my car!  It's free to anyone who can come over and dig it out.  These palms transplant well and this one survived 9° in February 2021 (photo is pre-freeze)  PM me for details.111910925_mule1.jpg.af3d71491051959921dd2c5c45f43282.jpg

Bummer, I missed this. Been Down to Austin twice in the last month I could have gone down there, just got back this weekend. Probably take a jack hammer now to get it out its so dry,

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

10 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Bummer, I missed this. Been Down to Austin twice in the last month I could have gone down there, just got back this weekend. Probably take a jack hammer now to get it out its so dry,

It's still available if it hasn't been cut down already.  Two members have said that they would get it but backed out.  Two others have expressed interest but no action.

Jon Sunder

Hey Jon, 

How tall is that Mule palm?  Anyone ever come and get it yet?  I Wish it would survive for me up here in the frozen north of Waco!  C’mon you Texians go get yourself a free Mule Palm!

22 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

You need to make the trip south, because it wont fit in my car.

Pour a few buckets of water on the ground before digging and the ground should soften.

Thank you, Jon, for making this lovely palm available through your friends!  I went and got it this morning.  Fingers crossed for a successful transplant:36_14_15[1]:

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, mulungu said:

Thank you, Jon, for making this lovely palm available through your friends!  I went and got it this morning.  Fingers crossed for a successful transplant:36_14_15[1]:

Awesome!  Happy to hear that it's getting a new home and not getting the ax!  :D  Hope it grows well for you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Jon Sunder