IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC'S JULY 2022 IN PERSON MEETING IN SANDY EGO

DoomsDave

Hello, everyone:

The PSSC's July 16, 2022 PSSC meeting is going to be in the Point Loma section of San Diego at two gardens which are only a few minutes apart. There will be a PSSC Board meeting at the first garden, followed by a potluck lunch, auction and raffle at the second garden. 

Most importantly, the ocean is nearby, so you can take a break from that torrid inland heat and enjoy a palmy day near the beach. 

GARDEN NUMBER ONE:  Home and garden of Burt Repine at 4575 Orchard, San Diego 92107. A garden filled with rare palms, including Roystoneas, Archontophoenix, etc. On a hillside with an incomparable view of the ocean.

GARDEN NUMBER TWO: Home of Dennis and Laura Willoughby at 4438 Pescadero Ave, San Diego 92107. This is one of those oldie-and-goodie gardens that give botanical gardens vigorous runs for their money all the way round, in the age and size of the plants, their sheer variety and their perfection of growth. Dennis started his garden in 1990 and he presently has about 260 species of palms growing. The Willoughbys' Acanthophoenix rubra, is more than forty feet tall. Their Dypsis bejoufa is one of the biggest around; while it's not trunking - yet - it looks like it's getting close with 14 foot long leaves and a base that's 12 inches thick. There's a Chambeyronea lepidota with 9 foot long leaves. There's an Actinokentia divaricata that, amazingly, split into two trunks and has an overall height of about 8 feet. Plus a giant Dypsis honkona. Dennis has some palms that even stump the experts and no one is quite sure what they are. Plus many many more, all labeled in Dennis' inimitable style. Come see and find out what the fuss is about!

POTLUCK LUNCH

We'll be having a potluck lunch with chicken provided. Bring your favorite dish to share; meat, vegetables, dessert, or any combination all greatly appreciated. Make it yourself, or buy and bring it - if you like it, we will too! If it's grandma's favorite recipe, so much the better. We don't care if your grandma was from Sausalito, Sri Lanka or Sydney. Come feast on food, and the joint joys of palms and good fellowship on a glorious mid-summer day.  

AUCTION

There will be an auction at this meeting. Donors have a choice of donating 100% of the proceeds to the PSSC (we appreciate that!) or 50% (we appreciate that, too!) The focus is on rare palms, in 1 to 5 gallon containers, though larger ones will be accepted. Also good are nice palm-themed objects d'art, and other exotic plants, including but not limited to, bromeliads, fancy Ficus, etc. We accept credit cards, checks, and good old cash, though, due to expenses relating to credit card transactions, we greatly appreciate cash and checks, if possible.

As everyone is aware, the Covid 19 pandemic, and the forced closures of group events has hurt the PSSC's finances badly as the auction is a vital source of funding for the PSSC. The recent "re-start" auctions have helped a great deal, but more is needed; your participation by donating and buying will help immensely. If you have a question about a possible donation, contact Dave Bleistein at 323-481-5071 via text or email at urkurk2000@gmail.com. 

Since we have a limited time in which to conduct the auction, we ask that donors provide plants that will realistically sell for at least $20. Please no Washingtonias, Phoenix canariensis, etc. We also appreciate liners and "freebie" plants as well for the plant raffle.

Thanks to all of our donors! 

COVID-19 PROTOCOLS

In keeping with guidance by the U.S. CDC, the State of California, and the County of San Diego, face masks are NOT REQUIRED outdoors for those who have been fully vaccinated against Covid 19. As in previous meetings, masking protocols will be on the honor system. Those who wish to "mask up" voluntarily are absolutely welcome, but not required, to do so. 

ITINERARY:

9:30 AM: Board of Directors Meeting 
11 AM: General Members arrive at the Repine residence and tour the garden.
12:15 PM: Depart the Repine garden and go to the Willoughby Garden. Bring your food item.
12:30 PM: Potluck lunch. Tables and chairs will be available
1:00 PM: Tour the Willoughby Garden
2:15PM: Begin General Meeting. Announcements, Auction and Raffle
3:00 PM: Meeting adjourns

NOTE: 
Point Loma is near the very west end of Freeway 8 at the ocean, just south of Ocean Beach. But, to get there, you must follow directions below as some freeway 5 and 8 interchanges don't exist!

DIRECTIONS FROM THE NORTH TO GARDEN #1, COMING SOUTH ON FREEWAY 5

One exit before Freeway 8 interchange, exit onto Sea World Dr/Tecolote Rd. Continue to follow Sea World Dr, going slightly to the left to stay on Sea World Dr In a few miles, watch for the exit and stay to the right to get onto Sunset Cliffs Blvd Continue on Sunset Cliffs road through the commercial district of Ocean Beach Turn left on Orchard Ave and go up the hill to 4575 Orchard Ave.

DIRECTIONS FROM THE SOUTH TO GARDEN #1 ON FREEWAY 5

Go north on Freeway 5 and Take Freeway 8 west (toward ocean) Turn left onto Sunset Cliffs Blvd. Continue on Sunset Cliffs road through the commercial district of Ocean Beach Turn left on Orchard Ave and go up the hill to 4575 Orchard Ave.G

DIRECTIONS FROM GARDEN #1 TO GARDEN #2

Go right on Orchard, then right on Guizot Street, then left on Pescadero. Garden #2 is one half block down on the left at 4438 Pescadero (the one with all the palm trees!)

• Like 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Among much else the Willoughbys have this gorgeous Dypsis caniculata. 

A65E91A1-BB39-401A-A06C-F222D7364F09.thumb.jpeg.544121666c13fd3c7c532a1d57f54e86.jpeg

• Like 7

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So, who's coming, to make grand summer day even grander?

Love to go!!!!

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 3 weeks later...

Another meeting….another couple posts of videos. Stupid traffic from Orange County made me way late and I was only around a short while at Bert’s garden and didn’t get a chance to take any videos as I was making up for lost time looking at the grounds. All videos are of the Willougbys’ amazing garden. Another sensory overload day. Enjoy….

-dale

• Like 1

Some stills and that’s it. 
1) Dypsis Carlsmithii

2)Dypsis Decipiens

3)Dypsis Prestoniana 

4)Dypsis Caliculata (back side)

5)Cyphosperma Balansae 

6)Pritchardia Martii

-dale

2901E15D-8590-47B9-B37A-0F1380404282.jpeg

C843CC80-3A3C-43EB-8D36-266A75C46A63.jpeg

86838C99-5A2A-48DC-9548-C1474629DC27.jpeg

35FC2E7A-A5AD-412A-849D-82C91BDA3429.jpeg

9A1E0726-D93B-47D7-A62D-F9CF9F04182D.jpeg

D8B74FBE-B23B-443B-BAB4-11089D92C0EC.jpeg

• Like 5

Thank you so much for making these videos Dale!!! I very much want to come to these, but there always seems to be a "kid activity" conflict (and kids always win over plants). I learn so much from the videos. Just a couple quick comments...

- The way they display the plants is fascinating and very scientific, with just the right size hole for each plant. I'm not sure I would do it that way (since I'd likely make a mistake in my sizing estimates), but they did quite well on their sizing guesses!

- The numbering system is also great... better than any botanic garden I've seen. 
261 different palm types?! Amazing (and makes me feel less crazy).

- Anyone know the age on the Dypsis decipiens?
Also curious if they cut off the suckers to encourage vertical height, or it just happened to grow as a single.

- Also growth related, does anyone know whether all the "Big Boy" dypsis were planted around the same time? If so, that provides some good information on relative growth speed of the "Big Boy" Dypsis types. My current understanding is that "Prestonia" is fastest, then Carlsmithii, with Decipiens slowest. Didn't have Caliculata on my radar, but $*@!  ("I'm not buying another Big Boy Dypsis,  I'm not buying another Big Boy Dypsis...")

• Like 1

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

@iDesign I was talking to another palmtalker and he said there was a meeting there about 10yrs ago. He said the Decipiens was very small at that time “about a 3G size”. I have no idea if that’s correct or not. It was definitely a beauty. 
I also heard the Willoughby’s have been there since the 90’s. I’d imagine some of those fat Dypsis and other statement trees have been there quite awhile. I didn’t have direct comms with Dennis to inquire. Maybe somebody else can verify. 

-dale

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iDesign said:

- Anyone know the age on the Dypsis decipiens?
Also curious if they cut off the suckers to encourage vertical height, or it just happened to grow as a single.

I would be surprised if Dennis cut off suckers, as one would never know if the damage might create sufficient trauma to kill the main plant as well.  This species is present as both solitary and split trunk in habitat, and my impression was that they tend more toward the solitary in habitat, versus more splitting in garden culture.  I was there the last time the PSSC toured the garden but don't recall the size of this plant at that time.   Adam if you are looking... you have been to Dennis's many times and don't live far from him, what can you share on this or his other large Dypsis?

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

7 hours ago, Billeb said:

@iDesign I was talking to another palmtalker and he said there was a meeting there about 10yrs ago. He said the Decipiens was very small at that time “about a 3G size”. I have no idea if that’s correct or not. It was definitely a beauty. 
I also heard the Willoughby’s have been there since the 90’s. I’d imagine some of those fat Dypsis and other statement trees have been there quite awhile. I didn’t have direct comms with Dennis to inquire. Maybe somebody else can verify. 

-dale

The Willoughy garden was started in 1990, ah the good old days . . . . 

I keep saying I’m going to become a member and start going to these meetings. One day. I’d love to hear about the auction. Anyone score anything exciting?