IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Heatwave!

Swolte

(Thought this deserved its own thread) 

How are you holding up?

It isn't officially summer yet and the garden looks like its the end of summer already here in Texas (I have some Taxodiums edging into dormancy already). Palms appear to hold up fine but even I, being the lazy gardener I am, have to consider some sort of a watering schedule now! It doesn't look like these temps are letting up anytime soon. In Texas we have been and will be hitting triple digits almost every day (I am afraid to look at the humidex values).

Are any of your palms suffering yet? Other plants you regretted planting? 

Stay hydrated, friends!

Heat.png

• Upvote 1

Should I start bringing some plants in of the heat? This is stupid. 

Well I'm in TN and it just shows a cactus symbol on my forecast every day.   Really

• Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

20 minutes ago, Allen said:

Well I'm in TN and it just shows a cactus symbol on my forecast every day.   Really

That means you should buy cactii 

• Like 1

Here in NOVA we’ve had some hot days but overall, seems a bit below average…but I’ve no doubt that pesky jet stream is going to undulate north and all that heat is going to flow up from the Gulf…but it’s summer…you folks in TX have really gotten hit with the heat and I will say, I’ve started watering my palms because a few full sun, low humidity days with temps in the 70’s to low 80’s and the ground’s surface moisture evaporates as fast as the cracks form…but our rainfall has been good as my lawn will attest. I never water it and it’s still nice, green and growing. Guess the best way to water is early a.m. low and slow. So palms look great…I’m watering deeply once a week and couldn’t be happier that an old Butia catarinensis seed sprouted after being tossed last summer (or squirreled) still can’t remember the fate of the seeds after they molded but I’ve got the strap leafed volunteer to be happy about! And that sprout was in deep shade and no protection over the winter…we’ll take what we can get in zone 7…

97 to 105 every day and no measurable rain since February. I've lost a small Sabal uresana to heat and drought and have lost a few small Sabal minors due to a combination of armadillo damage and drought. I usually use 2,000 to 3,000 gallons of water a month, but that is not the case these past two months. It's 10PM and still 90F. Hoping my multi-century old oaks survive.

The last time the garden in Katy saw a high below 99F was June 7th...also no overnight low below 77F since June 6th. Highest has "only" been 103F so far, but NWS is calling for 104F on Sunday (yay).

Granted the palms are still growing (maybe even faster?) with enough hand watering. I have most of the tropical stuff under canopy with midday shade (hoping for a new flamethrower leaf for the 4th!) but the Sabal spp. in blasting sun seem to be loving it. A lot of non-palm tropical leafy stuff is stalling out a bit and would really prefer a "cool down" into the low-mid 90s. 

The funny thing is if you go far enough south towards the lower Rio Grande Valley, temperature and rainfall are near normal. June in Houston has been significantly hotter than Brownsville :blink2:

Please rain next week :bemused:

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

College Station June average temperatures is hi/low is currently 87.0  This is the hottest June since records began in 1889 ( 132 Years).

Average Hi 97.5 so far, with 10 more days of the month likely over 100. Hottest month ever August 2011 at 90.9 So we wont break the hottest month ever, but mostly June 2022 likely be a top 5 or 10 hottest month. Same for several other TX Cities as well.

Precipitation so far .18 Inches. This is around the 7th driest June. Houston IAH .01 so far.

What does July and August have in store? 

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

610temp.new.gif

814temp.new.gif

season_drought.png

• Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

We're supposed to get .02" of rain today. Drought officially over. 

Holding up just fine. Average summer temps for me - Been mid 90s to mid 100s with relief into the 70s. We are used to ‘hot’ and ‘dry’.  I plant very few things that would throw a major fit at my climate, and mostly just let it.. ‘be’. 

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

We're supposed to get .02" of rain today. Drought officially over. 

Update 

• Like 2

The western Gulf Coast will likely need a good soaking TS for the drought to bust. Im hoping that the SW US gets a decent monsoon this year so that way the drought is pushed back some.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

It’s actually going to happen here. Last weekend temps in the 50s and this coming one we may break 100 with all days in the mid 90s. Thanks for sending it my way finally. 

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 2

On 6/20/2022 at 3:49 PM, Swolte said:

(Thought this deserved its own thread) 

How are you holding up?

It isn't officially summer yet and the garden looks like its the end of summer already here in Texas (I have some Taxodiums edging into dormancy already). Palms appear to hold up fine but even I, being the lazy gardener I am, have to consider some sort of a watering schedule now! It doesn't look like these temps are letting up anytime soon. In Texas we have been and will be hitting triple digits almost every day (I am afraid to look at the humidex values).

Are any of your palms suffering yet? Other plants you regretted planting? 

Stay hydrated, friends!

Heat.png

Instead of a Palmetum this year I started a Experimentum, plants that I haven't tried before,  or plants that I tried before and killed, but trying again with more knowledge .

I have started a causality list already.... Extreme Heat, drought, high sodium alkaline tap water is just a trifecta stress test for first year plants.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

We usually don't get the super high temps here during the day but we dew get high dew points...

yesterday was 95F with an 80F dew point...thats an HI of 115F.

It gets worse as the corn grows esp if there is ample rain...I have seen

the dew point as high as 86F here....lots of evapotranspiration from the corn.

We need rain

1 hour ago, Jimhardy said:

We usually don't get the super high temps here during the day but we dew get high dew points...

yesterday was 95F with an 80F dew point...thats an HI of 115F.

It gets worse as the corn grows esp if there is ample rain...I have seen

the dew point as high as 86F here....lots of evapotranspiration from the corn.

We need rain

I detasseled corn from age 13 to 16. It was a horrible job. To this day, I hate getting wet. The dew on the corn was awful. I have seen those super high dewpoints in Iowa and surrounding states and I always attributed it to the corn.

The heat isn’t so much of an issue here but the drought is something else. It has been very, very dry since about November last year. I have only had 0.9 inches of rainfall in almost 4 months now and only 6.8 inches of rainfall in the past 8 months since November with 2+ months of summer to go still. So an average of about 0.8 inches a month since November. Some parts of southeast England have only had 3-4 inches of rainfall so far in 2022. As a consequence I am having to water everything daily now which is very time consuming.

I didn’t water the Olive tree and it has dropped all its leaves and looks dead. I didn’t water the Queens enough and they are struggling. The Trachy’s were starting to yellow so I had to start watering them. The grass has looked bad since April, so I have given up on keeping that green. Both lawns are a parched state. My whole garden is a tinder box. If we get a wildfire in my neck of the woods the whole yard will go up in flames in seconds. At least it isn’t blistering hot though, like  in Texas or Arizona. It’s currently 28.6C / 83F here this afternoon. 33C / 92F is the max so far this year.

AC529B5F-C31B-4D04-961F-AD4B474AA2D8.thumb.jpeg.a7d56d0582112c42db29183ab14c4249.jpeg

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

On 6/22/2022 at 12:49 AM, Collectorpalms said:

Instead of a Palmetum this year I started a Experimentum, plants that I haven't tried before,  or plants that I tried before and killed, but trying again with more knowledge .

I have started a causality list already.... Extreme Heat, drought, high sodium alkaline tap water is just a trifecta stress test for first year plants.

Good. I think my graveyard list (if I kept one), would be at least as long as the list of species I have planted. The prime limiting factor for me is the relentless deer pressure. Armadillo's are starting to annoy me now as with this drought since they tend to dig wherever I am watering.... 

Chick Fil A workers in Texas.... Maybe a white head umbrella and no black pants would help. Pic from Twitter. Looks like Houston/ Woodlands area by the trees and cars, oh and a cloud or two.

Just watched a video on hottest cave explored, how you have to have body cooling masks and protective cooling gear to go in for more than 15 minutes or you will cook.

umbrella head.jpg

Edited by Collectorpalms

22 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Chick Fil A workers in Texas.... Maybe a white head umbrella and no black pants would help. Pic from Twitter. Looks like Houston/ Woodlands area by the trees and cars, oh and a cloud or two.

Just watched a video on hottest cave explored, how you have to have body cooling masks and protective cooling gear to go in for more than 15 minutes or you will cook.

umbrella head.jpg

Oof

The drive thru people are covered by a patio and they had gallons upon gallons of ice water here in Huntsville when I grabbed lunch today. They still had their sleeves rolled up and I hate to complain given the horrid conditions they're working in, but I still waited 20 minutes for an online order that I was late picking up. But I'll save my comments on how corporate America treats employees for Twitter. This isn't the place. 

17 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Oof

The drive thru people are covered by a patio and they had gallons upon gallons of ice water here in Huntsville when I grabbed lunch today. They still had their sleeves rolled up and I hate to complain given the horrid conditions they're working in, but I still waited 20 minutes for an online order that I was late picking up. But I'll save my comments on how corporate America treats employees for Twitter. This isn't the place. 

It really does look like one in The Woodlands, lol. the only place that doesn't cut down every tree to build. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2094888,-95.5291673,3a,90y,176.41h,100.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8LsijrNETnzvGaP-Sq-hdA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

So many trees, I cant find anything there because the building are in a forest of trees like Lowes, walmart etc,,, you would never know they are next to each other.

Edited by Collectorpalms

I have been hand watering the 3 small Filifera I planted this spring and they are taking off like rockets.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

I have been hand watering the 3 small Filifera I planted this spring and they are taking off like rockets.

Its been a good year for Filifera. My seedlings are growing pretty fast without any spotting issues. 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Upvote 1

On 6/23/2022 at 10:20 PM, Collectorpalms said:

It really does look like one in The Woodlands, lol. the only place that doesn't cut down every tree to build. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2094888,-95.5291673,3a,90y,176.41h,100.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8LsijrNETnzvGaP-Sq-hdA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

So many trees, I cant find anything there because the building are in a forest of trees like Lowes, walmart etc,,, you would never know they are next to each other.

And your GPS won't work there lol 

Buckle Up Heat Wave to continue ...

610temp.new (1).gif

• Upvote 1

Hottest June on Record College Station, Texas: 2022  ( December 2021 was also a Record monthly High )

https://www.kbtx.com/2022/07/01/official-june-was-hottest-bryan-college-stations-history/

Hottest June on Record Houston, Texas: 2022

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/weather/2022/07/01/428096/june-2022-was-the-hottest-june-in-houston-history/

Anyone Else Break a Record?

My largest Livistonia Chineses that survived the record cold, last February 2021 is very sunburnt and not sure it is going to survive... It has about 10 feet of trunk so I cannot cover it. My other 3 are shaded during the hottest part of the day and look fine.

Edited by Collectorpalms

In a quick search, the record high for Mobile still turns up as 102° in 1954. It hit that temperature a couple of times during that very miserable week in June but, as far as I know, didn't exceed it.

3 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Hottest June on Record College Station, Texas: 2022  ( December 2021 was also a Record monthly High )

Also, May 2022 was just 0.1° shy of tying the all-time hottest May of record in Bryan-College Station. This is shaping up to become quite the year...

3 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

. It has about 10 feet of trunk so I cannot cover it.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about shade structures too much. I have them for new plantings but perhaps its time to extend that to some species more sensitive to drought & heat. 

@Collectorpalms were you around here in 2011? Did any palm species succumb? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Swolte said:

Also, May 2022 was just 0.1° shy of tying the all-time hottest May of record in Bryan-College Station. This is shaping up to become quite the year...

Hmm, I hadn't thought about shade structures too much. I have them for new plantings but perhaps its time to extend that to some species more sensitive to drought & heat. 

@Collectorpalms were you around here in 2011? Did any palm species succumb? 

I was here for the 112F in Sept 2000, and went through 2011's excessive heat and mega drought. I remember having insane water bills. There were fires so I kept everything soaked. There was a bad freeze in 2011 too. At the time I had 25 syagrus, several Litoralis. I removed most of them because mules started to become available, and was tired of having to worry about crispy fronds. Kept the largest Syagrus.

I may have had a reverse osmosis for gardening at the time... but since our water is so bad, the filters at $80 a piece had to be replaced often, and for 1 gallon of good water, there were 2 gallons of waisted water.

I was always trying inground Trachycarpus, pretty sure I lost those.  I have killed more trachycarpus in the ground than I can count. Yet I am going to try again since I already bought a few. They are doing bad to ok, but sunburnt ( duh I need to move them). The trachycarpus with the cardboard thick like leaves is doing great. I cannot think of what it is called at the moment.

I am way past out of rainwater, so I am using city water. Ugh. I fill up 2 100 gallon tanks, and let them sit overnight about 12 hours. I add citric acid (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DCPR9C?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details ) to correct the PH, a PH of 5.8 is ideal. I also add a light solution of water soluble fertilizer. (low nitrogen, but high in other minerals) 

https://www.amazon.com/ENVY-Hydro-Special-Professional-5-12-26/dp/B0848PW7NF/ref=sr_1_3?crid=21QBJ5PGWMYJ1&keywords=5-12-26%2Bfertilizer&qid=1656868126&s=industrial&sprefix=5-12-26%2Cindustrial%2C129&sr=1-3&th=1

The tanks are in shade, so the water isn't boiling. 

I figure at this point, let the Experiment Garden Games Begin! I have so many new plants I bought in the last year.

81hvoJBFB7L._SL1500_.jpg

41vedXqkbOL.jpg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2

I haven't looked, but if BCS is setting records it's safe to assume HuntsVegas is too. I'm watering the piss out of Patio Squad and heavily misting everything nightly. 

Is there something cost effective I can add to my watering to bring things back to the darker shades of green that my indoor palms still carry, or do I just have to ride this out? Everything is still growing like crazy, and I'm I guess trying to capitalize on that. Everyone got fertilizer before it got stupid hot, and I added some Jobes chicken poop palm food last month before the last rain. Between that and the stink water, I'm shocked my patio didn't become an impromptu feral cat shelter. 

Just a normal warm temperature cycle in Texas... Just keeping things watered heavily and let them soak up the sun.  Our reservoirs are 99.8% full so this is no lake mead moment.  What's interesting is even my Trachys are visibly growing which they normally don't do much at 90F+.  Sabals are, well sabals.. they are blowing up, growing beautifully with bigger and thicker fronds coming quickly.

• Upvote 1

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

24 minutes ago, tlow said:

Just a normal warm temperature cycle in Texas... Just keeping things watered heavily and let them soak up the sun.  Our reservoirs are 99.8% full so this is no lake mead moment.  What's interesting is even my Trachys are visibly growing which they normally don't do much at 90F+.  Sabals are, well sabals.. they are blowing up, growing beautifully with bigger and thicker fronds coming quickly.

A quick look at Denton, it looks like you haven't had what the rest of the state has.

Also, Lake Travis is 56% full. So it is way down, and it is just the start of the drought, we have 11 more weeks of excess heat. As stated May and June here have been 2nd and 1st hottest here, and July and August, September yet to come. We will need a tropical storm to break this pattern.

I am not seeing this massive growth you are referring to, because our water limps them along. We do not use surface water here, its alkaline brine. Its not great, they tolerate it, only a real rain does the growth trick.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

A quick look at Denton, it looks like you haven't had what the rest of the state has.

Also, Lake Travis is 56% full. So it is way down, and it is just the start of the drought, we have 11 more weeks of excess heat. As stated May and June here have been 2nd and 1st hottest here, and July and August, September yet to come. We will need a tropical storm to break this pattern.

I am not seeing this massive growth you are referring to, because our water limps them along. We do not use surface water here, its alkaline brine. Its not great, they tolerate it, only a real rain does the growth trick.

I have good water and my sabals are just surviving, but I'm so dry the water just disappears. 

Its July, I've only had 3 inches of rain this year and I am hoping for a tropical storm or three to hit soon.

Ridiculous

hottt.PNG.28cee1cc760986825831ab0ce98c8574.PNG

I'm having to water rainforest stuff twice a day just to keep the scorch from spreading...

Only silver lining to this heat is the near absence of mosquitos and foliage diseases 

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

14 minutes ago, Xenon said:

Only silver lining to this heat is the near absence of mosquitos and foliage diseases 

I am also not seeing the feared ox beetle at all. I should have been poking them out of holes since June. 

I only planted drought tolerant plants, however, I am quickly discovering some are more tolerant than others. Also, a swath of plants are still establishing and need quite a lot of attention.
:unsure: 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 9:21 AM, tlow said:

Just a normal warm temperature cycle in Texas... 

Not really. We normally have a lot more rain and humidity in this part of TX. I don't live in the desert. I'm like ~90 miles from Houston. 

12 hours ago, Xenon said:

Ridiculous

hottt.PNG.28cee1cc760986825831ab0ce98c8574.PNG

I'm having to water rainforest stuff twice a day just to keep the scorch from spreading...

Well...enjoy the cooler weather today...:crying: