IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Which animals are palm lovers in your area?

Ben OK

24 minutes ago, amh said:

The blue and green reflections appear everywhere. Usually wolf spiders in my yard.

I don't like spiders either.

I'm eating right now and that just gives me chills, Spiders are so creepy, just the idea of that makes my skin feel itchy :unsure:

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, amh said:

The blue and green reflections appear everywhere. Usually wolf spiders in my yard.

The reflections i get are about the same, although we dont have wolf spiders here. Them suckers are scary as hell, especially when they come out from under the stove while you're in the kitchen floor. We had some laughs after the spider was released back where it came from lol
I also remember being able to look down into their holes during summer in Tennessee. 

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

16 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Haha yea I dunno man, I'm a weirdo. Spiders, snakes, etc don't bother me at all.

Cockroaches on the other hand....

Weirdo?  Not weird at all..   Humans being scared of them?   ..funny ..and somewhat weird.  That said,   People who scream in sheer terror when they see bugs or Snakes make great videos though. " men " especially, haha..

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JLM said:

The reflections i get are about the same, although we dont have wolf spiders here. Them suckers are scary as hell, especially when they come out from under the stove while you're in the kitchen floor. We had some laughs after the spider was released back where it came from lol
I also remember being able to look down into their holes during summer in Tennessee. 

Yea, you've got " Wolves " too.. 

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/47416-Lycosidae

Touching on " Eye Shine " from Spiders for a sec..  Earlier this spring i discovered this is another way to track large Black Widows that were in the yard..

• Like 2

9 hours ago, smithgn said:

Haha! Interesting. He realized you weren't a threat. I had some co-workers say that Cottonmouths are actually the most dangerous. I can still hear him with his country twang saying that one "chased him and his son for about 100 yards" lol

Yea he was cooperative haha. Cottonmouth venom is worse than copperhead but I wanna say that rattlesnake bites are the most dangerous in the US. As far as the cottonmouth chasing him and his family, I always enjoy a good "tale from the trail" :P

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Yea, you've got " Wolves " too.. 

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/47416-Lycosidae

Touching on " Eye Shine " from Spiders for a sec..  Earlier this spring i discovered this is another way to track large Black Widows that were in the yard..

Looking at the pictures, they're everywhere here.

• Like 2

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

2 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Yea he was cooperative haha. Cottonmouth venom is worse than copperhead but I wanna say that rattlesnake bites are the most dangerous in the US. As far as the cottonmouth chasing him and his family, I always enjoy a good "tale from the trail" :P

Depends on the rattler.. Eastern and Western Diamondback,  &  Mojave or " Green " Rattlers are definitely the most dangerous ( Greens possess the most toxic venom of any snake in -at least - the U.S. ) but there are others ..say like Pygmy Rattlers whose venom is less toxic ( but could still ^^^^^^^ your day, lol if you get bit )  We have a couple uncommon sp. in far S. AZ where there are still some questions about exactly how dangerous the venom is that they produce, or their temperament.

As far as Copperheads vs. a Cottonmouth,  Cottonmouth bites can definitely be far worse than being bit by a copperhead - which usually isn't a big deal ( ...but still requires immediate medical attention ) Cottonmouth's tendency to be grumpy and confrontational adds the " bitten repeatedly " factor to the situation, where as a majority of Copperheads might only strike once or twice  before trying to escape.

• Like 2

@DAVEinMB we used to get chased by Cottonmouths all the time growing up.  They also liked to jump into rowboats if you are out fishing on a lake.  And they can swim faster than I could row, so you had to take the oar out of the hinge and smack them with it to get them to go away.  :D 

As far as other animals, I forgot about the one weird one...Spiny Orb Weaver spiders!  They are tiny spiky thingies, I get the red-orange and white types, like this one:

341618395_SpinyOrbWeaver.jpg.9d32e8675d1de9af1d95ee5f9ffe3968.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

@DAVEinMB we used to get chased by Cottonmouths all the time growing up.  They also liked to jump into rowboats if you are out fishing on a lake.  And they can swim faster than I could row, so you had to take the oar out of the hinge and smack them with it to get them to go away.  :D 

As far as other animals, I forgot about the one weird one...Spiny Orb Weaver spiders!  They are tiny spiky thingies, I get the red-orange and white types, like this one:

341618395_SpinyOrbWeaver.jpg.9d32e8675d1de9af1d95ee5f9ffe3968.jpg

I unusually have the yellow/green, but occasionally see the reds.

Of course, walking face first into the large orb weaver species webs at night is always fun.

Edited by amh

On 6/26/2022 at 11:45 AM, JLM said:

We have so many spiders here. Ill go outside with a flashlight at night and find a bunch of spider eyes reflecting back at me.

yeah my greenhouse is full of them! black widow's brown recluses you name it!

An Autistic 18 year old who has an obsession with Palms!

8 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

AND Paco :

52182556940_8af812b354_b.jpg

Love the birmy and I've got a big soft spot for bullies! Paco looks like a good boy!

14 hours ago, N8ALLRIGHT said:

Love the birmy and I've got a big soft spot for bullies! Paco looks like a good boy!

Taco is growling and protecting that palm  . Can't you see his teeth . Just kidding , he's a lovable big boy . He just has a lot of excess jowl that flops around and doesn't always stay over  his teeth . 

Will

• Like 1

unfortunately I don’t have any good pictures of it in it’s nest, but these mourning doves had a nest a Sabal palmetto Frond back in April.FFA18608-3E79-41A1-A4CC-96B61CE855B6.thumb.jpeg.a1e86627346ea81d74df40fedf234005.jpeg 

E0BD47D1-5E82-4965-B96C-F104D248F6FB.thumb.png.20d4d58c72a4e8617abeaa40f4730203.png

Edited by Palms and Pines
Typo
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 2:37 AM, DAVEinMB said:

Sooo many visitors and inhabitants. Here's a few I've gotten pics of. Mostly spiders, snakes, lizards, and frogs. I've also had bears eating the pindo fruit, possums living in my French drains, feral cats doing who the hell knows what, and the list goes on...

Photo dump time

20200907_154727.thumb.jpg.0e7f8105958d14070e958efbe0bf403a.jpg

20200330_185836.thumb.jpg.e853084f08ffdbf8e25d16ee6ad3d5d8.jpg

20200405_154908.thumb.jpg.4bac15b659106cae57cf8b3458691195.jpg

20200510_144319.thumb.jpg.6e4785868ced70a49ff9f0711b4a4ed6.jpg

Snapchat-364396996.thumb.jpg.a1ca6b8915fd5c75a94bc5b04dac189f.jpg

20200731_190359.thumb.jpg.4e17d7789b9a49721ddab2d9dbf8fbcc.jpg

Snapchat-93799553.thumb.jpg.3785147bcbd7fbb443f456d57d4e040d.jpg

20200722_075821.thumb.jpg.6ae11f0d1f40017abd73ab80779de7ed.jpg

Snapchat-815442345.jpg

Snapchat-424274190.jpg

Snapchat-209133433.jpg

Snapchat-1501638663.jpg

20220606_220640.jpg

20220504_045454.jpg

20210921_005041.jpg

20200501_172518.thumb.jpg.c1d2a66d778347f0bd0d832b333ba1d4.jpg

That larger snake looked like a copperhead! Yikes…but I’d rather hold that than a wolf spider any day…

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, GregVirginia7 said:

That larger snake looked like a copperhead! Yikes…but I’d rather hold that than a wolf spider any day…

Yup copperhead, and we recently found another. So now I'm on the hunt 

Haha well if I was a little more ballsy I'd try to pick up the copperhead but I really would rather not get tagged

IMG_6987.jpg

• Like 1

Yes…somewhat dangerous snake but they sure are beautiful in color and pattern…we have them here in the suburbs of NOVA but pretty rare…you, on the other hand are loaded with critters…wish we had more lizards that would show themselves…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAVEinMB said:

Yup copperhead, and we recently found another. So now I'm on the hunt 

Haha well if I was a little more ballsy I'd try to pick up the copperhead but I really would rather not get tagged

IMG_6987.jpg

Might consider investing in a sturdy Snake Hook or Handling Tongs ( much better for capturing / head pinning vs. a hook ).. Makes handling -any- snake, let alone potentially dangerous ones fairly easy ( and safe -er ). Some people also use tubes.. you would direct the snake's head into it after heading it so it cant strike after capture. Supposedly helps calm the snake down as well.   Seen this done w/ big Diamondbacks.

Would practice " heading " = where you grasp the snake behind the head w/ the tongs-  on larger, non venomous snakes like Corn, Rat, or other larger and active sp. before attempting to capture a Copperhead. Indigo, Coachwhip, and Gopher/ Bull Snakes are other great " training " subjects since they're fast,  pretty muscular / have a good amount of strength,  and have a bit of an attitude when captured, Indigo esp.

As little fear as i have of them,  Wouldn't try free handing any venomous snake myself either ..unless encountered when it is cold and the snake is essentially half asleep and is far less interested in putting up a fight.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Yes…somewhat dangerous snake but they sure are beautiful in color and pattern…we have them here in the suburbs of NOVA but pretty rare…you, on the other hand are loaded with critters…wish we had more lizards that would show themselves…

They really are gorgeous and there's no mistaking that color. Yea I've really been happy with what my garden venture has attracted. I used to put a bird feeder out to attract more birds but unfortunately it also attracts the damn bears. We do have hummingbird feeders out tho and they hang around pretty much all season. I gotta try to get a pic of this monster toad that's been living on my back patio for the past few years, he's like the size of a baseball lol

5 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Might consider investing in a sturdy Snake Hook or Handling Tongs ( much better for capturing / head pinning vs. a hook ).. Makes handling -any- snake, let alone potentially dangerous ones fairly easy ( and safe -er ). Some people also use tubes.. you would direct the snake's head into it after heading it so it cant strike after capture. Supposedly helps calm the snake down as well.   Seen this done w/ big Diamondbacks.

Would practice " heading " = where you grasp the snake behind the head w/ the tongs-  on larger, non venomous snakes like Corn, Rat, or other larger and active sp. before attempting to capture a Copperhead. Indigo, Coachwhip, and Gopher/ Bull Snakes are other great " training " subjects since they're fast,  pretty muscular / have a good amount of strength,  and have a bit of an attitude when captured, Indigo esp.

As little fear as i have of them,  Wouldn't try free handing any venomous snake myself either ..unless encountered when it is cold and the snake is essentially half asleep and is far less interested in putting up a fight.

To be honest I'll prolly end up using my metal rake and a 5 gallon bucket haha. Growing up in the mountains of PA I'd take my Audubon Society book out in the woods with me and see how many snakes I could find and catch that lived in my area. Back then I was pretty good at catching them using the behind the head technique (although i never came across anything venomous). These days I can't risk a snake bite putting me on my ass for any amount of time, I got work to do lol

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

To be honest I'll prolly end up using my metal rake and a 5 gallon bucket haha. Growing up in the mountains of PA I'd take my Audubon Society book out in the woods with me and see how many snakes I could find and catch that lived in my area. Back then I was pretty good at catching them using the behind the head technique (although i never came across anything venomous). These days I can't risk a snake bite putting me on my ass for any amount of time, I got work to do lol

My home state, too…Huntington county…Hesston is my hometown… never saw a palm tree there but did see lots of snakes…Grandma would always tell us to watch out for snakes every time we headed out the door for the woods. I do think I could grow an unprotected Needle up there, given the right placement! :D

1 hour ago, DAVEinMB said:

I did the same thing as a boy! It was my goal to catch every snake in Missouri. Never got there but came close, missing a few venomous and oddball ones.  My grandparents place in the Ozarks was heaven to a kid who liked to see what was under rocks and that audoban field guide was my Bible. Not so interested in catching them anymore (especially the hot ones) but I still like flipping rocks and seeing what scurries out:greenthumb:

1 hour ago, GregVirginia7 said:

My home state, too…Huntington county…Hesston is my hometown… never saw a palm tree there but did see lots of snakes…Grandma would always tell us to watch out for snakes every time we headed out the door for the woods. I do think I could grow an unprotected Needle up there, given the right placement! :D

Right on man! I was a bit north of you in Luzerne County, little town of Nanticoke. In true PA fashion, every corner was either a bar, a pizza shop, or a church haha. My parents had yucca planted around the pool but that's about as close as we could get to a palm; zone 6a isn't exactly forgiving lol

1 hour ago, N8ALLRIGHT said:

I did the same thing as a boy! It was my goal to catch every snake in Missouri. Never got there but came close, missing a few venomous and oddball ones.  My grandparents place in the Ozarks was heaven to a kid who liked to see what was under rocks and that audoban field guide was my Bible. Not so interested in catching them anymore (especially the hot ones) but I still like flipping rocks and seeing what scurries out:greenthumb:

Hell yea, the good ol days! I was never able to complete the full list either. I swore at times that the Audubon Society was lying about the species in the area haha. Roaming around with my bucket and book saying "these damn things gotta be around here somewhere" lol

• Like 1

• 2 months later...