IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis lanceolata colorful new leaf opening

Tracy

This Dypsis lanceolata is one of 3 I am growing but unique relative to the other two in many ways as I've posted before.  It is opening it's first inflorescence against the backdrop of one of it's new leaves opening with a colorful note.  I remember showing this to someone shortly after I planted it and they said that some Dypsis lanceolata varieties will have colorful leaves in the juvenile stages.  It appears to me that this one is now beyond the juvenile phase yet it still gives color.  Anyone else want to share their colorful leaf forms of Dypsis lanceolata?

20220613-BH3I7945.jpg

20220613-BH3I7944.jpg

20220613-BH3I7942.jpg

• Like 9

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Lovely palm.

I planted about 100 seeds all green leaves, about 10cm tall currently. Was hoping for at least 1 red leaf.

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

Anyone else want to share their colorful leaf forms of Dypsis lanceolata?

I sure wish I could. I have a few of them, one decent sized. However, I am not fortunate enough to have that nice feature on any of them. You have a gem.

Great color and so exciting to see gene/phenotipic  variation amongst individuals. Thanks for the update.

@Tracy I have posted about a couple of my Lanceolata’s throwing reddish/colored leaves previously. I don’t have any updated pics but found these. Notice the reddish/pink petioles on this plant as well. This is different than the other two I have that don’t seem to push any colored leaves. I have 4 total…2 that share your characteristic and 2 that do not. All are in the juvenile stage. 

One thing to note as far as sun tolerance…I noticed as the summer gets nearer, the trees are getting more and more sun later in the day. This has seemed to increase the growth rate. Not sure if this is just a season thing or if these plants like to see and handle more sun than previously thought?? 

-dale

BE2D86EA-1E3B-4EA2-812A-1092D7BE7836.jpeg

4245D44E-381F-45BC-A178-E96D90481FE0.png

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Billeb said:

@Tracy I have posted about a couple of my Lanceolata’s throwing reddish/colored leaves previously. I don’t have any updated pics but found these. Notice the reddish/pink petioles on this plant as well. This is different than the other two I have that don’t seem to push any colored leaves. I have 4 total…2 that share your characteristic and 2 that do not. All are in the juvenile stage. 

One thing to note as far as sun tolerance…I noticed as the summer gets nearer, the trees are getting more and more sun later in the day. This has seemed to increase the growth rate. Not sure if this is just a season thing or if these plants like to see and handle more sun than previously thought?? 

-dale

BE2D86EA-1E3B-4EA2-812A-1092D7BE7836.jpeg

4245D44E-381F-45BC-A178-E96D90481FE0.png

Yes Dale this looks like the same form.  It will be interesting to see if it has a narrower trunk than your others as it forms ringed trunk.  Mine may grow faster in the warmest season but still can show sun damage when exposed to too many hours of exposure.   I have a couple of palms to its west outpacing it, which are giving progressive filtering of late afternoon sun during summer as the years progress.  The lowest trunks have the nicest leaves perhaps due to more filtered light.

Its a nice addition of diversity.   Was this one sourced different from your others?

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

Yes Dale this looks like the same form.  It will be interesting to see if it has a narrower trunk than your others as it forms ringed trunk.  Mine may grow faster in the warmest season but still can show sun damage when exposed to too many hours of exposure.   I have a couple of palms to its west outpacing it, which are giving progressive filtering of late afternoon sun during summer as the years progress.  The lowest trunks have the nicest leaves perhaps due to more filtered light.

Its a nice addition of diversity.   Was this one sourced different from your others?

Same here. I’ve got other trees etc to the West but do notice a difference in growth rate as it warms up a bit. 

The two pink/red frond varieties I got from @-2 brian here in HB and the two “standard” type I got from @Joe palma. None are more or less vigorous growth than the rest. Just truckin’ along. 

It will be very interesting to see the difference  as they mature. 

-dale

• Like 1