IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hele identifying palm tree

Hamakua Palms

Hello,

I recently moved to the Hamakua coast; and I immediately noticed the beautiful palms that completely cover the gulches on the belt road, leading to my home.  I have absolutely no idea what these Palms are and I would love to know what they are.  I have attached two photos showing the Palms growing along this stream on waikaumalo park.  I really want to plant some on my property but I would first like to know what they are; because I don’t know if they are terribly invasive or something along those lines.  Thank you in advance! 

3DCCFA77-DC7A-4C62-A3BD-DC99C7332EE3.jpeg

DD1DEF56-B03B-4D68-AB24-9BB9280456B0.jpeg

• Like 1

I believe those are Archontophoenix alexandrae.  If so they do naturalize quite easily near water or in areas that get a lot of rain as they love water.  They're easy to grow from seed and grow fast.

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

Andrew, yes those are A. alexandrae growing in the gulches up Hamakua. I’ve been told that they were planted by the sugar cane industry to stablilze the soil because of their aggressive root systems. They are beautiful hardy palms, but have become invasive and quite ubiquitous all over East Hawaii. The seed is small and birds distribute the seed everywhere.  

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I planted one here in Wai`anae on the DRY leeward coast of O`ahu.  One thing for sure it ain't gonna get a lot of water.  See if it survives on 1/2 hour spray from a 1/2" poly pipe twice a week.  I think I have 2 90 degree spray heads in the poly pipe looped around the palm.  The picture was from Nov. of last year. 

I remember them on the Hamakua coast on my last trip to the Big Island. 

Since there are so many there already go for others as you are in a GREAT area for growing palm trees.

Archontophoenix alexandrae-20210903_151442.jpg

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

Thank you all for your responses!  I might end up planting a couple on a very steep part of my property to help with erosion and because I find them so beautiful.  Hopefully, if I keep up with the mowing they won’t become too invasive.  

Fusca, thank you for identifying the palms for me!  Yes, they seem to love moving water; I might end up planting some along my very small seasonal stream to keep them happy. 

Realarch, thank you for the background on these palms and identifying them for me.  Yes, it makes total sense to me now; I always wondered if humans had a hand in making the gulches here covered with them.  As for their invasiveness I can totally see why that is a problem.  I’ll be very careful to not let them take over. 

WaianaeCrider, I hope your palm grows up to be a beauty; yes, I agree with you I need to plant a lot more species of palms.  I want to dedicate an acre to just palm trees.   

You won't have to plant them, they will appear of their own accord. :lol: There are several tall A. alexandrae on the wild section of my property, and I am constantly pulling up seedlings or whacking down juveniles. If I don't stop them at that stage, they'll soon be 20 ft. tall. Beautiful palms, yes. They turn the gulches into nature's cathedrals.

EDIT: By the way, welcome to PalmTalk! And welcome to Hawaii Island. You chose well.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I’m kind of excited to be pulling out palm tree weeds!  That sure beats the 3 feet high grasses and immortal guavas that adorn my farm at the moment.  Thank you for your kind welcome.  I’m very excited to learn more about Palms since I am very new to the hobby.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Hamakua Palms said:

I’m kind of excited to be pulling out palm tree weeds!  That sure beats the 3 feet high grasses and immortal guavas that adorn my farm at the moment.  Thank you for your kind welcome.  I’m very excited to learn more about Palms since I am very new to the hobby.  

There are some amazing people and gardens all over Hilo . You have moved to an amazing place

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hamakua Palms said:

Welcome to Palm talk and the Big Island. Our family lives in Hilo and you are welcome to stop by our garden to see what we are growing. Our garden is young, less than 5 years old, so it can give you an idea of how quickly things grow here!  It’s honestly hard to comprehend, even for me still. 

Hilo Jason, thank you so much for your kind offer.  Yes, I have noticed that things grow very fast here!  I used to live in Florida and I thought things grew fast there; but Hawaii definitely steps it up a notch.