IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Need help with new indoor Areca vestiaria

Cyrtostachys

Hi all,

About a week ago I received two small Areca vestiaria palms. They were shipped bare root with some sphagnum moss wrapped around the roots. They seemed fairly healthy and according to the seller they had been grown in the shade. 

I immediately potted the two palms together in a soil mixture consisting of orchid bark, cactus soil, medium sized perlite, and the sphagnum moss that the palms came with (although I did gently untangle most of it from the roots, choosing to instead disperse it through the potting media). I've slowly transitioned the palm to bright indirect light. The indoor temps don't get below about 73 degrees and the humidity ranges from about 50-60%. As far as I know, there was no root breakage from repotting.

The issue: Over the course of the last week that I've had the palms, I've noticed that the tips of some of the fronds are beginning to dry and brown. Nothing too serious at the moment, but I want to resolve any issues before its too late. Is this just standard transplant shock to be expected from the stress of being shipped and then repotted? Or is this an early sign of decline that I can do something to fix before things get worse? 

Appreciate any advice. Thanks :)

First picture is of the palms right out of the package. The other two pics are the most recent ones showing the browning tips.

Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 8.59.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 9.02.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 9.03.34 PM.png

Welcome to palmtalk! :)

I'm no expert and I'm sure somebody else who knows more than me could chime in but I'm gonna say it might want more humidity like florida type humidity, I'm only saying that because the common occurance of browning tips is low humidity but thats all I got :blush2:

As quoted from palmpedia They prefer a sheltered, consistently moist and humid location, with more shade in less humid environments.

Edited by ZPalms

Thanks ZPalms! I was wondering if it could be a humidity issue. I'll start providing it with higher humidity and see if the browning stops :)

• Like 1

I bought about 35 of these a few years ago. All but one or two have died, and the ones thats are still alive don't look great. These are super heat loving palms. Without hot and humid conditions they struggle. Many on here say that they are cool sensitive and will die if in cool temperatures for too long even if those temperatures are well above their cold hardiness temperatures. I would stick them in the warmest part of your house. Maybe even put their pots on a heating pad. 

As others said, warmth and very high humidity: 50% is not high enough and 73F is not warm enough long term. That will be a challenge in your dry desert climate. This is a very tropical palm.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.