IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Savannah gardens

VA Jeff

I'm working in Savannah now.  Palmettoes are so common they seem boring here.  Very weedy.  But go a few hours north, and palmettoes seem like a luxury.  Anyway, here are a few pics:

Dioon, probably not edule.  The leaflets are several inches long.  

20220525_191010.jpg

Camellia giganticarpa

camellia giganticarpa.jpg

Castanopsis fissa with big leaves

castanopsis fissa.jpg

grevillea robusta

grevillea robusta.jpg

Edited by VA Jeff
  • Like 7

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

Row of nice mules

20220306_145319.jpg

livistona, probably australis

20220525_190434.jpg

weepy butia

weepy butia.jpg

strelizia

strelizia.jpg

Edited by VA Jeff
  • Like 7

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

Araucaria angustifolia

araucaria angustifolia.jpg

ceratozamia linearis

ceratozamia linearis.jpg

Monkey puzzle and big coontie

huge coontie and monkey puzzle.jpg

Cycas taitungensis

taitungensis.jpg

Edited by VA Jeff
  • Like 8

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

Livistona saribus and nitida

kivistonas including saribus.jpg

Trachycarpus latisectus

latisectus.jpg

Neighborhood queen

neighborhood queen.jpg

Baby acrocomia totai to replace the tall one that is about dead now

small totai.jpg

Edited by VA Jeff
  • Like 7

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

Totai 3 months ago

totai before.jpg

Some Banksia

banksia.jpg

Camellia crapnelliana

camellia crapnelliana.jpg

Totai now

totai after.jpg

woodwardia oreintalis.jpg

Edited by VA Jeff
  • Like 5

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

Actually, the cycad next to the monkey puzzle looks more like a cycas.  Maybe I'll take a picture of a giant zamia pumila with leaflets as big as integrifolia.  Considering the hardiness of integrifolia, there's no way it would survive to that size in Savannah.

• Like 1

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

@VA Jeff Thanks for sharing.  I always liked stopping in Savannah when I drove up and down the east coast.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Aloe maculata

Coonties that look like zamia furfuracea, but with some differences.  Huge leaflets

I forget which species of camellia

Casuarina.  Looks too much like pine for me.

Costus brbatus in a big ginger garden area

Curcuma scarlet fever

Eriobotrya deflexa

Hydrangea quercifolia.  Looks nicer than ones I've seen before.  Possibly zone 6 hardy

Jacaranda mimosifolia

Philodendron selloum grows like a bush and doesn't seem to dieback in winter

Some other plants too

aloe maculata.jpg

big coonties.jpg

bigleaf camellia.jpg

casuarina.jpg

costus barbatus.jpg

curcuma scarlet fever.jpg

eriobotrya deflexa.jpg

hydrangea quercifolia.jpg

jacaranda.jpg

p selloum.jpg

phytolacca dioca.jpg

podocarpus spp.jpg

savannah ball moss.jpg

tibouchina clavata.jpg

tibouchina.jpg

wrinkled mulberry.jpg

• Like 5

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

• 2 months later...

Nice photos.  I have seed from mama Totai planted all around my garden.  I collected them in October 2020 but none have sprouted.  It can take up to 3 years so I'm hopeful a few will surprise me.

• Like 1

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Wonderful photos!  There has been some talk of having a joint society meeting in Savannah with CFPACS, FCPCS, and SEPS in attendance.  Looking forward to it if it comes to fruition.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

• 1 year later...
On 8/15/2022 at 9:42 AM, SubTropicRay said:

Nice photos.  I have seed from mama Totai planted all around my garden.  I collected them in October 2020 but none have sprouted.  It can take up to 3 years so I'm hopeful a few will surprise me.

Have any totai sprouted yet?  I've seen some totai with bigger crowns.  Too bad I think the one in Savannah bit the dust.  It is an intriguing palm for having some cold hardiness.

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2022 at 7:08 PM, VA Jeff said:

I'm working in Savannah now.  Palmettoes are so common they seem boring here.  Very weedy.  But go a few hours north, and palmettoes seem like a luxury.  Anyway, here are a few pics:

Dioon, probably not edule.  The leaflets are several inches long.  

20220525_191010.jpg

Camellia giganticarpa

camellia giganticarpa.jpg

Castanopsis fissa with big leaves

castanopsis fissa.jpg

grevillea robusta

grevillea robusta.jpg

There are a quite a few Sabal Palmettos in the Augusta area.  They've done some nice plantings there in certain areas.  Savannah is a great place for them though.  I can see why planters have moved on to other species.  Some are even planting Queens in courtyard areas, etc.  Florida is not a terribly long drive away to bring up some specimens.  I'm even closer here in the Brunswick area.

Edited by RFun

I saw a lot of Florida type palms around St. Simons Island, even moreso than Savannah.  I almost accepted an interview in Brunswick a year ago after I already accepted another offer.  I regret that decision now.  If you want to see some very nice plantings, go visit the campus of Georgia Southern / old Armstrong College in Savannah.  If you put all the exotic plantings in one spot, it would make a decent botanical garden.

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

Really surprised to see a Monkey Puzzle tree, I was under the impression they don't do well in our SE hot humid summers. 

So are you no longer in Lexington, SC?

Thanks for sharing! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RJ said:

Really surprised to see a Monkey Puzzle tree, I was under the impression they don't do well in our SE hot humid summers. 

Thanks for sharing! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2024 at 9:59 PM, VA Jeff said:

I saw a lot of Florida type palms around St. Simons Island, even moreso than Savannah.  I almost accepted an interview in Brunswick a year ago after I already accepted another offer.  I regret that decision now.  If you want to see some very nice plantings, go visit the campus of Georgia Southern / old Armstrong College in Savannah.  If you put all the exotic plantings in one spot, it would make a decent botanical garden.

Yeah, St. Simons Island and Jekyll Island are good spots for that kind of stuff.  You'll even find cold hardy citrus on the West side of I-95.

Edited by RFun
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RFun said:

Yeah, St. Simons Island and Jekyll Island are good spots for that kind of stuff.  You'll even find cold hardy citrus on the West side of I-95.

I grow cold hardy citrus at my house in Virginia.  You just need to know which ones to get.  Some of them taste just like tangerines or almost as good.  Some taste like more interesting versions of lemons.

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

On 2/29/2024 at 11:44 AM, RJ said:

So are you no longer in Lexington, SC?

Thanks for sharing! 

There is a really big araucaria araucana in a median not far from Woodlanders in Aiken, if you're out that way.  If you're thinking of the true monkey puzzle, araucaria araucana, it grew for a couple decades in humid Norfolk, Virginia in the botanical garden, before dying in a very cold winter.

I am no longer in South Carolina, but North Carolina right now.  Trying to get my wife to move here.  Then I won't have to live in two states every week.  She'd much rather live in Aiken or Savannah.  I don't blame her, but that's not where my job is now.

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

5 hours ago, VA Jeff said:

I grow cold hardy citrus at my house in Virginia.  You just need to know which ones to get.  Some of them taste just like tangerines or almost as good.  Some taste like more interesting versions of lemons.

Yeah, some varieties can take more cold, no doubt.  I am mainly referring to Satsuma Citrus in my example.

Edited by RFun

16 hours ago, VA Jeff said:

There is a really big araucaria araucana in a median not far from Woodlanders in Aiken, if you're out that way.  If you're thinking of the true monkey puzzle, araucaria araucana, it grew for a couple decades in humid Norfolk, Virginia in the botanical garden, before dying in a very cold winter.

I am no longer in South Carolina, but North Carolina right now.  Trying to get my wife to move here.  Then I won't have to live in two states every week.  She'd much rather live in Aiken or Savannah.  I don't blame her, but that's not where my job is now.

There is the Parana Pine (Araucaria angustifolia) which I am growing here, then there is the true Monkey Puzzle tree (Araucaria araucana) which I was under the impression did not do well in the SE. IIRC the Araucaria araucana is the hardiest of the genus. The one you have pictured looks like it's labelled Araucaria araucana, which is why I was really surprised to see it. 

Interesting read

Edited by RJ