IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coffee Grounds?

rttunc

I was wondering if anyone uses coffee grounds in their palms?  I've seen mixed reports but I know that too much can cause high acidity.  I don't have the ability to compost, so I try to use biodegradable things as natural ancillary fertilizer when I can (ie. egg shells for calcium).  Thoughts?

I have used coffee grounds in potted plants before and the results were always tragic. Occasionally side dressing in ground plants shouldn't hurt.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, amh said:

I have used coffee grounds in potted plants before and the results were always tragic. Occasionally side dressing in ground plants shouldn't hurt.

Ah!  Thanks for letting me know!  I've been so pleased with my palms' growth lately (just moved to Florida) that I would not want to take any risk!

14 minutes ago, rttunc said:

Ah!  Thanks for letting me know!  I've been so pleased with my palms' growth lately (just moved to Florida) that I would not want to take any risk!

The problems that I have had were all fungal and rot related. The coffee grounds dry out fast when they are in your filter, but when added to potting soils(top dressing or mixed), they hold too much water.

• Like 1

Residual caffeine inhibits growth and causes stunting.  That's why it keeps weeds down.  I've had horrible experience with using them.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

Residual caffeine inhibits growth and causes stunting.  That's why it keeps weeds down.  I've had horrible experience with using them.

I just compost mine. It makes the soldier fly larvae big and strong.:D

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I agree - probably not a good idea in pots but have had success using coffee grounds around the base of palms in the ground.  Very useful around cycads also which can keep scale insects from invading.

• Like 3

Jon Sunder

I’ve been composting coffee grounds for years, after broken down and mixed thoroughly they definitely benefit the composition of the compost and do add nitrogen. 
I’ve sprinkled spent coffee grounds around plants/ palms in ground as a top dressing in the past. It’s never killed anything out right, but have never seen any benefits from doing it either as far as plant growth is concerned. Neutral to leaning negative as a top dressing. In pots it may have a more detrimental effect imo. 

• Like 2