IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Different kind of air purifier

JohnAndSancho

https://algenair.com/

A guest saw all the plants in my office window, and told me about these. He asked me if I had all the plants to clear the air and provide oxygen - sure that's a benefit, but it's mostly for the vibes. Anyway, at $250, plus monthly refills, it's probably not for me. But still kinda neat. 

Seems like a lot of marketing hype at the moment...

However, I must admit, algae is awesome.  There are strains that are 100% edible (whereas most crop-plants are like 10% edible on a good day).  It may be one of the staple foods of the future, but there are some things that need to be figured out first.  We're not past the "tipping point" where the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.... YET... 

But I'm all for it.  I think it could be beneficial for, say, the idea of occupying Mars...  or simply for off-the-grid types...  the future of algae seems to have much potential...

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Seems like a lot of marketing hype at the moment...

I'm all for it.  I think it could be beneficial for, say, the idea of occupying Mars...  or simply for off-the-grid types...  the future of algae seems to have much potential...

This is one

• 1 month later...

For our UK home which is in a smallish village with some farming operations nearby we use this one called Airfree P150 for the ground floor where there is an open plan kitchen, dining and living room. It works very well but you must make sure that you buy a unit that corresponds to the room size it will be located in. The good thing about this is there are no filters and it makes no noise at all.

For the bedroom my eldest daughter sleeps in we have a Honeywell HA170E1. It is a good one for the room size, I tried it but didn't like it in the bedroom as it does make some noise. The filters does need replacement every 2-3 months depending on room size and usage but it is a very good ones as this one filters out just about everything.

we should try getting some indoor air purifying plants as well, it definitely can help.

Whichever one you get, it is always important to note whether it is a true HEPA filter and what is the cubic airflow rate and whether that is sufficient for your room size.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, julie42 said:

For our UK home which is in a smallish village with some farming operations nearby we use this one called Airfree P150 for the ground floor where there is an open plan kitchen, dining and living room. It works very well but you must make sure that you buy a unit that corresponds to the room size it will be located in. The good thing about this is there are no filters and it makes no noise at all.

For the bedroom my eldest daughter sleeps in we have a Honeywell HA170E1. It is a good one for the room size, I tried it but didn't like it in the bedroom as it does make some noise. The filters does need replacement every 2-3 months depending on room size and usage but it is a very good ones as this one filters out just about everything.

we should try getting some indoor air purifying plants as well, it definitely can help.

Whichever one you get, it is always important to note whether it is a true HEPA filter and what is the cubic airflow rate and whether that is sufficient for your room size.

I was just sharing what was shared with me. I have a large Germ Guardian UV/HEPA air filter in my apartment, along with tons of palms. Also have 9 or 10 plants in my office.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It's cool how plants can contribute to a good atmosphere, not just with oxygen but also the whole vibe they bring. But yeah, those fancy air purifiers can get a bit pricey, especially with the monthly refills, right?

• 5 months later...
On 7/13/2022 at 12:29 PM, julie42 said:

Whichever one you get, it is always important to note whether it is a true HEPA filter Syracuse Energy Systems and what is the cubic airflow rate and whether that is sufficient for your room size.

This Friday my daughter will have a fungal ball removed from her sphenoid sinus. I am cleaning her bedroom today so that she has fresh air to breathe moving forward. Our yellow lab sleeps in her room and the doctor said to get the dog out. So once I rid the room of dust and dog hair, replace the mattress (it's 19 years old), wash all fabric items, etc., I feel like I should run an air filter in her room to keep the air cleaner. Any recommendations on air purifiers? Our doc recommended Air Oasis products. In case you are wondering, I have considered mold. But to be honest, there isn't a darn thing I can do about it right now if I find mold b/c of financial constraints. So we will have to manage our environment in other ways.