IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another Chamaerops Vulcano in the ground

tinman10101

had time today to plant another one next to big brother.  I know this is common in europe but not so much in the states.  this was one of the first palms i fell in love with 13 years ago.  its been very satisfying growing these from seeds after almost 9 years ago.  i just regret not putting more in the ground earlier.  once in the ground, they obviously grow a lot faster as you can see and the growth i've noticed is variable.  i have about 4 other ones in the ground.  the bigger one in the picture below is a female so hopefully this one will be a male close by.  even in my very crowded greenhouse, they are still very compact.  

this one i put in the ground today has been in the greenhouse so long that it is already suckering in 3 places. :D

image.png.fdb70c62597c18ddd27ac590fdac94fc.png

image.png.7e882669470123bc82e6819cc76a81e2.png

image.thumb.png.6e9fb3cbdc9b118152a03aa0e27b9289.png

• Like 16
  • Upvote 3

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

Lookin' great! I've only ever seen these in photos from overseas. I wonder if they'll eventually be readily available?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Lookin' great! I've only ever seen these in photos from overseas. I wonder if they'll eventually be readily available?

In the 13 years I've been into palms I have not seen them readily available. I'm glad I bit the bullet early and grew them by trail and error from seeds from overseas. I was contemplating smuggling one from Germany to the US when I was in Europe once.  LoL

• Like 2

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

I want one so bad, they look so tropical compared to their Mediterranean counterpart

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’ve seen trunking specimens in person here in Oregon. Owner of a palm nursery bought them to propagate and sell the offspring. I’ve not seen any for sale by him but I should stop in and ask what happened to them. 

• Like 1

Speaking from experience, he would need to pollinate amongst a controlled group and then grow the seeds to about 6 years old to determine the vulcano characteristics. At that point I had about 45% that stayed true to the parents. Then grow them slowly. The variability in them are broad from what I see in all my seedlings. 

Honestly the maintenance over the last nine years with the germinating, potting and repotting, watering, fertilizing, and then to throw away 55% and loss as well was exhausting. Not to mention how much space they took up in my greenhouse.  I guess the good thing is now I have some extra stock left and the satisfaction of gaining the experience in the process. 

• Like 6

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

20 minutes ago, tinman10101 said:

Speaking from experience, he would need to pollinate amongst a controlled group and then grow the seeds to about 6 years old to determine the vulcano characteristics. At that point I had about 45% that stayed true to the parents. Then grow them slowly. The variability in them are broad from what I see in all my seedlings. 

Honestly the maintenance over the last nine years with the germinating, potting and repotting, watering, fertilizing, and then to throw away 55% and loss as well was exhausting. Not to mention how much space they took up in my greenhouse.  I guess the good thing is now I have some extra stock left and the satisfaction of gaining the experience in the process. 

This was 5 years ago that I saw them, so I figure if he went down that path he should have some by now. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chester B said:

This was 5 years ago that I saw them, so I figure if he went down that path he should have some by now. 

I would like to see his nursery stock if you ever get a chance to take pics

here is another one i have in the ground that was planted after growing for 7 years in the greenhouse.  so 2 years in the ground.  hand for scale ... really slow and compact. 

image.thumb.png.d00865efb47fe3344bfba847d6ec5d23.png

image.thumb.png.2aaadab49d798ec55af90e15b8df8e8b.png

image.png.25cde936bd7f551b53140a205247ba8f.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

Are these Vulcanos all about the same age? The biggest one seems to be ~3’ across.

Last September at a famous tropical flower nursery in Vista CA, I bought a few Vulcano seedlings in #1 containers from a field of hundreds. Hopefully these will be true Vulcanos

6E557173-F972-4837-BE94-D467244BB288.thumb.jpeg.0d9f35481244fa3b181cb4d187c629bc.jpeg

• Like 4

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

Mountain View, California

7 minutes ago, daxin said:

Are these Vulcanos all about the same age? The biggest one seems to be ~3’ across.

Last September at a famous tropical flower nursery in Vista CA, I bought a few Vulcano seedlings in #1 containers from a field of hundreds. Hopefully these will be true Vulcanos

6E557173-F972-4837-BE94-D467244BB288.thumb.jpeg.0d9f35481244fa3b181cb4d187c629bc.jpeg

do you know the age of these seedlings.  i know with mine they all looked like this for the first 5 years or so.  but fingers crossed for you.  :)  

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

• 2 months later...

I germinated these from RPS Chamaerops "vulcano" seeds and they're now about 3+ years old. I guess it's still too early to gauge how many will display the true vulcano trait. But I'm hopeful at least a couple will.🤔

ChamaeropsVulcano.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

I germinated these from RPS Chamaerops "vulcano" seeds and they're now about 3+ years old. I guess it's still too early to gauge how many will display the true vulcano trait. But I'm hopeful at least a couple will.🤔

ChamaeropsVulcano.png

:bemused: Might be the bearer of bad news,but here goes... Those plants appear to be var. 'cerifera'.  

Var. 'Vulcano' is usually a bright lime green color, has a vertical growth pattern,and is nearly spineless. Hope I'm wrong...

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Tinman, your gift one to me has expanded its first palmate leaf, image tomorrow, (maybe,  :mrlooney:

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

29 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

Tinman, your gift one to me has expanded its first palmate leaf, image tomorrow, (maybe,  :mrlooney:

Only took 9 years. LoL. Some of them I had were super slow to go palmate. I still have some in the greenhouse that are still working on their first. LoL

I couldn't imagine how much slower it will grow for you since you complain about lack of heat Darold.  😉

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

2 hours ago, aztropic said:

:bemused: Might be the bearer of bad news,but here goes... Those plants appear to be var. 'cerifera'.  

Var. 'Vulcano' is usually a bright lime green color, has a vertical growth pattern,and is nearly spineless. Hope I'm wrong...

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Thanks for your assessment of the identity of these palms. Guess I should treat RPS labeling with a measure of skepticism. 🤨

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tinman10101 said:

Aztropic is correct. In addition, mine didn't start showing specimen leaves until around 6 years and even then they were very compact and fused. 

Perhaps I can donate several of these palms to my neighbors who are xeriscaping their gardens in response to our ongoing drought!🙂

• Like 3

Here's a picture of my 'vulcano', now about 15 years old - (ironically) grown from RPS seed too. It shows the upright growth pattern and mostly spineless petioles that are traits of var. 'vulcano'. Unfortunately, my plant is situated in mostly shade,so should have a tighter crown if it got some direct sun.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20220828_171740983_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220828_171610941.jpg

IMG_20220828_171626759.jpg

• Like 5

Mesa, Arizona

34 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Here's a picture of my 'vulcano', now about 15 years old - (ironically) grown from RPS seed too. It shows the upright growth pattern and mostly spineless petioles that are traits of var. 'vulcano'. Unfortunately, my plant is situated in mostly shade,so should have a tighter crown if it got some direct sun.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Very fine specimen. Glad to know someone had 'luck' with seeds of this cultivar from RPS!😉

• Like 1

10 hours ago, aztropic said:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Wow considering the slow growth, that thing is huge with the trunk.

Here is mine today next to my jubaea. I call these two Samson and Goliath. 

PXL_20220825_152637334.jpg

PXL_20220825_152654037.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

Here's a couple compots I planted last fall with seeds from my 'vulcano' tree. Lime green color of the seedlings is a good start and very encouraging, but it will take a couple years of growing to see if any display the cupped strap leaves and lack of spines that indicate more vulcanos are on the way...

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20220829_080833946_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

Mesa, Arizona

Here is my 1-gallon Vulcano,  showing its first palmate frond.  It was a gift from Tinman.   Note the lack of spines.   I will ground plant this palm no later than next spring.  

Thanks again, Tin !!  :greenthumb:

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

• Like 3

San Francisco, California

7 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Here is my 1-gallon Vulcano,  showing its first palmate frond.  It was a gift from Tinman.   Note the lack of spines.   I will ground plant this palm no later than next spring.  

Thanks again, Tin !!  :greenthumb:

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

looks great darold! its going to be spectacularly compact.  😉

• Like 2

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd add to this topic as I've also greatly enjoyed growing Vulcano from seed. All of my seed have come from RPS and so far I've received 3 different batches over the years. My oldest are about 5 years old and all of the bigger ones on the benches are just over two years old so they can grow quite fast. I love watching how they all develop and watching for the blunt leaves and silvery undersides. The photo with the three plants in it shows my nicest vulcano so far along with a regular chamaerops and another plant that came from vulcano seed and is not a vulcano but still looks interesting! I also have the next generation of vulcanos on the way.

Regards Neil

vul100.JPG

vul110.JPG

vul117.JPG

vul112.JPG

vul113.JPG

vul105.JPG

vul108.JPG

vul119.JPG

vul116.JPG

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Neil: You had much better luck with your RPS "Vulcano" seeds! None of mine turned out to be that cultivar. Your plants look great! 🤨