IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

subsonicdrone

just brought the plants out for the season so i took some"before" pics

my seedlings didnt fare well this winter

i under watered and most died i will post pics of the survivors when things are more organized back there

IMG_2359.JPG

IMG_2360.JPG

IMG_2379.JPG

IMG_2385.JPG

• Like 3

Blows my mind to see all the Canadian homeys growing such lush, tropical palms. 

You and @Rickybobby and @Philly J are real ones. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 6/2/2022 at 2:40 PM, Rickybobby said:

Thanks mate! Just don’t follow my spring sun acclimation guide lol. Geesh 

I have learned how not to burn my palms by watching you. Tbf I only need to bring my green homeys in for a couple weeks vs y'all having to bring yours in for 8 or 9 months as y'all are in Canada and I'm in Texas. Still- lessons learned and I've paid attention. 

But now I wanna buy an aquarium. So give and take. 

On 6/3/2022 at 8:36 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

But now I wanna buy an aquarium

ah be careful, during the pandemic I got a fish tank and ended up with 9 tanks and one set up at the public library!

But when I moved south, I still have them packed, and all I have set up is my 14 gallon rimless planted. 

Lucas

On 6/3/2022 at 9:36 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

I have learned how not to burn my palms by watching you. Tbf I only need to bring my green homeys in for a couple weeks vs y'all having to bring yours in for 8 or 9 months as y'all are in Canada and I'm in Texas. Still- lessons learned and I've paid attention. 

But now I wanna buy an aquarium. So give and take. 

Glad I can help show what happens when your not patient. The good news is all the palms are coming back! Just in time to put them back inside for win te r lol.  Hey thanks for watching 

• Upvote 2

I start kicking my plants out (palms included, depending of the species), starting on March 1st, I am almost DONE!  Looking around, I still see..., African violets, one Spath (Peach lily), a Cereus cactus, some Aloe veras and a few others...   YEP!, LOTS OF WORK! Then, I spend the entire Summer in a pool, at the deep end enjoying my first year of semi-retirement. Plants start coming in again in October, and will end some time in December. 

This pic is from mid November 2021.

3E9E10D3-78DF-425B-B138-E1416DA6AC54.jpeg

Edited by oasis371
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

ok so i meant to update this in the spring and show my seedlings but did not get around to it

for the most part they look almost the same... except the one i gave to my sister which grew way more!

here are my two chamaerops humilis cerifera

the one on the left looks like it made its first non strap leaf

IMG_6554.JPG.7bc7cdf1d96645e667f7134c1e83486d.JPG

here is my butia odorata

not much growth over the season although the trunk may have gotten bigger

IMG_6553.JPG

next up.. seems like a palm which has sprouted in a musa zebrina which was potted up in the spring

there are seeds scattered all throughout my soil from ones which i had given up on and added to my pile

IMG_6571.JPG

IMG_6570.JPG

next, my archontophoenix cunninghamiana 'illawarra'

has barely grown through this season.. but the one i gave to my sister in the spring has grown quite a bit!

IMG_6555.JPG

IMG_6552.JPG

my store bought palms grew quite a bit this year

butia, 2 chamaerops humilis and ravenea rivularis

IMG_6556.JPG

IMG_6410.JPG

• 2 months later...

next my chamaerops humilis cerifera, butia odorata and archontophoenix cunninghamiana 'illawarra' seedlings

IMG_7370.JPG

IMG_7369.JPG

IMG_7324.JPG

IMG_7473.JPG

also my majesties or at least i think they are majesties

one i have had for a couple years now and the trunk is getting thicker

the others i rescued from the cold at the end of the season

some of those ones seem taller but skinnier trunk than mine

IMG_7424.JPG.ecf25f79f617fe1b42367f16b2782e4e.JPG

IMG_7365.JPG

IMG_7423.JPG

IMG_7425.JPG