IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hybrid Cycads

Scott W

The first two were crosses performed by me, crossing Cycas revoluta with diannanensis and Cycas revoluta with multifrondis.  I currently have several dozen of each.  These are $10 each

The third was done by another, crossing Cycas revoluta with guizhouensis.  I currently have only six of this one available and are $15 each

Shipping for USPS priority calculated from 32211 based on how many plants ordered.  Depending on number ordered they will ship either in the recycled bottle they are currently growing in or will be bare rooted and packed in damp peat and wrapped.  I try to keep box length under 22" to avoid a surcharge.

PayPal preferred....message me if you're interested.  Thanks!

Revoluta x guizhouensis

PXL_20220528_173539059.thumb.jpg.03bf764ecab33d7a8c597288c8834706.jpg

Revoluta x diannanensis

PXL_20220528_173627531.thumb.jpg.078857e60b654e1d2fb1e35551e4ae69.jpg

Revoluta x multifrondis 

PXL_20220528_173638681.thumb.jpg.98af1e17cba7276b0eea76eb49785cd1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I am very happy with my Cycas revoluta X multifrondis hybrids and am looking forward to seeing what form the plants will take as they mature.

• Like 1

Scott's cycads are awesome, and he's great to do business with, if you don't have any yet, don't pass these up! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some have been asking more about the Rev x multifrondis.  Below are two pics of a established hybrid from the St John's Botanical Gardens.  This is the expectation of what these should develop into.

PXL_20220227_164400154.thumb.jpg.46e9669abf205d17d73e22d9d265c11f.jpg

PXL_20220227_164416803.thumb.jpg.2d4d15c014c991de8454326255cac058.jpg

PXL_20220227_164408864.thumb.jpg.4df9241042c7330a033eabe10927cb9c.jpg

• Like 3

I'm considering buying, I'm sure unsure about hardiness to my zone for the hybrids and the lowest I see usally and remember is 16F, I love the hybrids because all I know is Cycas Revoluta doesn't seem to do too terrible here I saw you did have Cycas Revoluta x taitungensis

3 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I'm considering buying, I'm sure unsure about hardiness to my zone for the hybrids and the lowest I see usally and remember is 16F, I love the hybrids because all I know is Cycas Revoluta doesn't seem to do too terrible here I saw you did have Cycas Revoluta x taitungensis

Yes I do still have a handful of Rev x taitungensis with a caudex size of about 3".

As for hardiness I would place them all within the same range as the Revoluta being the mother, but I don't know for sure.  They could definitely live for decades in pots instead of being in the ground, but that'd be a few more things to protect in the winter.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Scott W said:

Yes I do still have a handful of Rev x taitungensis with a caudex size of about 3".

As for hardiness I would place them all within the same range as the Revoluta being the mother, but I don't know for sure.  They could definitely live for decades in pots instead of being in the ground, but that'd be a few more things to protect in the winter.  

Guess only one way to find out, Is your website the best place to purchase?

On 6/16/2022 at 10:10 AM, Scott W said:

Some have been asking more about the Rev x multifrondis.  Below are two pics of a established hybrid from the St John's Botanical Gardens.  This is the expectation of what these should develop into.

PXL_20220227_164400154.thumb.jpg.46e9669abf205d17d73e22d9d265c11f.jpg

PXL_20220227_164416803.thumb.jpg.2d4d15c014c991de8454326255cac058.jpg

PXL_20220227_164408864.thumb.jpg.4df9241042c7330a033eabe10927cb9c.jpg

The Rev x multifrondis hybrids should have good cold hardiness because of the lack of trunk, allowing for the caudex to be covered in much or leaves during bad freezes.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, EJ NJ said:

Do you have any left?

Yes sir.  Have about a dozen x Multifrondis and about two dozen x diannanensis left.  I'm out of x taitungensis but have five pure taitungensis left.  I still also have the x guizhouensis available.

Message me your zip code and quantities and I'll get a shipping quote to you 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great looking hybrids....   sent you a DM, thanks.   Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Scott! I’d love to buy 1 of each of the first two hybrids listed, do you have any left? I am PayPal ready! Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Hey Justin,  sorry for the delay in replying....was super busy with a rental property rehab.   Message me your zip code so I can get an accurate shipping quote.

Thanks 

• 7 months later...

Do you please have any more cycas hybrids for sale?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Monocotyledonous_Planter said:

Do you please have any more cycas hybrids for sale?

I have several Cycas revoluta x diannanensis available.  I'll get some fresh pics and message you.

I may be interested as well, if you don’t mind shooting me a message of what you have available. Thank you!

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 4:53 PM, Scott W said:

I have several Cycas revoluta x diannanensis available.  I'll get some fresh pics and message you.

Not too familiar with many cycads yet... what would you estimate the hardiness of this hybrid (PNW wet 8B/9a)

8 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Not too familiar with many cycads yet... what would you estimate the hardiness of this hybrid (PNW wet 8B/9a)

Neither am I, and even a Google search doesn't return much.  You could always keep it growing in a container and bring it in during the cold, wet months.

13 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

They should love it, I’m in the same zone and get a lot more rain than the PNW and they love it here. Just make sure you choose something that can handle light frost and wet feet. 

At the bottom of zone 8a, Cycas revoluta x diannanensis is probably too tender here.