IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea x Butia f3 blooming

SailorBold

4 hours ago, Jtee said:

Beautiful New Mexican Jubea!

is that a saguaro cactus? Or one of them Argentinian cactus?

Ty.. its getting there.. hoping for some babies..

That's the Argentinian.. which I think is getting ready to bloom for the first time, too.

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

3 hours ago, Scott W said:

Rich Lindberg and Frank Lewis both put Syagrus romanzoffiana pollen on it.  I know Rich has also put Jubaea pollen onto it with limited success.

That's the Supermule right?  I'd love to try one of those..  so just by looking at the infloresence.. thats a jubaea infloresence?

8 hours ago, SailorBold said:

That's the Supermule right?  I'd love to try one of those..  so just by looking at the infloresence.. thats a jubaea infloresence?

Yes, that's what they are calling it due to it's parent lineage.

If you're referring to the inflorescence picture I posted, I'm pretty certain that's one his Dwarf Butia, either mattogrossensis or Archeri.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 6:14 PM, SailorBold said:

Ok.. these started falling off... Im assuming they're the pollen.. so I grabbed a container and collected as many as I could.. im not sure.. but im guessing another type of the flower will open.. ?  I guess I'll dust it with whatever collects in this container..there appears to be pollen..  anyone know if that's right?

20220618_160205.jpg

Since no one else mentioned this I will say that you should keep the pollen dry till use and immediately dry it after collection.  Piling it in a container with other material that can have moisture in it can kill the pollen because of exposure to moisture, in that material. Like Scott said strain the other material out through a screen and dry the pollen. That should be easy to dry in your location, in a day, (in shade) and may already be dry even if stored with the extra material. Still I would dry it, then put in an airtight container with one of those little silica packets or some rice and store in a refrigerator till ready to use.  Good luck.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2022 at 7:28 AM, Jeff zone 8 N.C. said:

Since no one else mentioned this I will say that you should keep the pollen dry till use and immediately dry it after collection.  Piling it in a container with other material that can have moisture in it can kill the pollen because of exposure to moisture, in that material. Like Scott said strain the other material out through a screen and dry the pollen. That should be easy to dry in your location, in a day, (in shade) and may already be dry even if stored with the extra material. Still I would dry it, then put in an airtight container with one of those little silica packets or some rice and store in a refrigerator till ready to use.  Good luck.

Well.. the pollen I thought was dry..ended up growing mold...thank you for this though.. its appreciated.  Ill need to do a better job. The female flowers are now receptive..they look like the butia photo. There are a few flying insects around.. but with the rain we just had.. I doubt they will set seed..  

There are still 2 spathes ready to pop.. hopefully will be able to get those!!

• Like 1

Ok.. this literally just opened within the last hour.. 

This is the 2nd spathe..

20220701_183227.jpg

20220701_183215.jpg

20220701_183223.jpg

20220701_183208.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Jeff zone 8 N.C. said:

Update? Looks like by now you should have good pollen for sure. 

I didn't get a chance to collect the pollen.. but I just observed like you stated what you see with your butia..  The first spathe when it opened.. looked like the male flowers were all open inside the spathe before it split open..  the 2nd spathe im pretty sure both were open at the same time. The third spathe opened a couple days after the 2nd (missed the photo op).. perhaps even more male flowers than females..  

I'm not sure what was pollinated.. but there were bees all that.. so hopefully there will be some seeds!

20220713_100349.jpg

20220713_100331.jpg

20220713_100306.jpg

20220713_100359.jpg

20220713_100352.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's a little hard to tell with hybrids but I think you have set some seed. Are they good seed? Time will tell. I am rooting for you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update.. looks like I'll get some seeds!  Not as many as I thought there would be.. but overall I'm happy.  Does anyone know how long it takes until these are ready to harvest?

20220725_102059.jpg

20220725_102041.jpg

20220725_102000.jpg

20220725_102009.jpg

20220725_102015.jpg

• Like 5

I'm not sure how long it will take, for your climate, but they will be ready this summer/fall in case you do not already know that.  They will swell with fruit and when the fruit turns color from green and begins to fall the ones that are falling are ready. Some will take a little longer of course.  Do not know what creatures you have there that could consider them good eating but rats here eat the fruit and bore into the seed to eat the insides. You may have bugs that attack the fallen fruit (not sure about that. We do not here.) Pick them up and save them as they fall or bag them in netting to catch them.  Once you see a few fall you will be able to determine when the others are ready and pick them a day or two early.  You could even give the tree a very gentle shake to encourage the early collection of fruit/seed that are already 99% ready and would probably fall the next day anyway. Those early seeds will be good. as well,  just do not try to force them to fall.  Keep the plant watered well but do not over do it.  By the way, all my advice is using natural well (bore hole) water without city / municipal chemicals and natural rainfall.  

• Like 1

Merrill Wilcox gave the Doc downtown a hybrid years ago. The grew to over two stories tall & fruited every year but the seeds were never viable & always solid as a rock.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Laaz said:

Merrill Wilcox gave the Doc downtown a hybrid years ago. The grew to over two stories tall & fruited every year but the seeds were never viable & always solid as a rock.

Yes. I agree that too is a possibility or even a probability.  With hybrids it is hard to tell what will result, even from same seed batch.  If that happens then next year pollen from a different palm could be tried but the possibilities would be, most likely, more limited . May or may not work but we learn. Hoping the plant nursery industry will eventually tissue culture these interesting hybrids.

• 1 month later...

Wow that thing is beautiful! I can't believe it grew that fast from a 5 gallon! 👍

• Like 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

• 3 weeks later...

Update! Seeds are changing color now.. with a few starting to drop!

I tasted the fruit..which is my first ever.. and it was delicious!  The seeds aren't as big as I'd pictured in my mind.. so I can't say what the nut tastes like.. but the flesh tastes like a mix of pineapple, mango,  with a hint of cherry and overtone of ??coconut? It's interesting..definitely a tropical flavor..) ill be collecting them as they fall.

Does anyone know how to test for viability the quickest way?

20220921_183153.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SailorBold said:

I tasted the fruit..which is my first ever.. and it was delicious!  The seeds aren't as big as I'd pictured in my mind.. so I can't say what the nut tastes like.. but the flesh tastes like a mix of pineapple, mango,  with a hint of cherry and overtone of ??coconut? It's interesting..definitely a tropical flavor..) ill be collecting them as they fall.

20220921_183153.jpg

Sacrifice a couple by cutting them in half. Start a thread in the main forum and ask if it looks viable. 

• Like 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

9 hours ago, SailorBold said:

20220921_183153.jpg

How long til you have to redo that border to keep Godzilla in place?  Wow!

4 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Sacrifice a couple by cutting them in half. Start a thread in the main forum and ask if it looks viable. 

Will do.. thanks!

17 minutes ago, jwitt said:

How long til you have to redo that border to keep Godzilla in place?  Wow!

Right? It doesn't look like it but that's 4 foot by 4 foot inside measurement..

Overall it's still a baby.. in all actuality prob a filifera would break out of that eventually..

Smh..

• Like 1