Sabal minor Desert Sun?

ahosey01

Anyone growing Sabal minor in the low desert that can share their sun/shade experience with me?

If you live in like Georgia or something, I can certainly appreciate your input but the sun is just a totally different thing out here.  We have no clouds and no humidity and ground surface temps in excess of 150F in the summer months when it's 115F outside for a week straight.

Not exactly the same but I have minors here in Oregon.  Our summer humidity can range from 15%-30% with no rain for over 2 months but obviously not as hot as you get.  When we had that heat dome last year 115F for a couple days and a week or so around 100 with 90s on either week of that, they did just fine.  I made sure to keep them watered and I think they grew well during that time period due to the hot nights.  They are pretty drought tolerant but more water speeds them along.  They're such an inexpensive palm to buy I would get a few and plant them in varying amounts of shade.

Don't you have that bald cypress or Dawn redwood in a rain garden?  If so I would plant a bunch in there where they would experience the odd flooding.

2 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Not exactly the same but I have minors here in Oregon.  Our summer humidity can range from 15%-30% with no rain for over 2 months but obviously not as hot as you get.  When we had that heat dome last year 115F for a couple days and a week or so around 100 with 90s on either week of that, they did just fine.  I made sure to keep them watered and I think they grew well during that time period due to the hot nights.  They are pretty drought tolerant but more water speeds them along.  They're such an inexpensive palm to buy I would get a few and plant them in varying amounts of shade.

Don't you have that bald cypress or Dawn redwood in a rain garden?  If so I would plant a bunch in there where they would experience the odd flooding.

WHAT A GOOD IDEA!!

I think I will do just that.

• Like 1

By the way, the dawn redwood was approximately 16" tall when I first planted it.  It is now up to my chin after two years of growing and it seems to get faster as it puts on size.  Expecting it will be taller than me by the end of the year, especially after getting mega-flooded during the monsoon season.

• Like 1