• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Anthurium thread

metalfan

Marie , most are approx 2 years old .. the very triangular one is one of my first acquisitions from up here in the tropics.

I would travel up from the sub-tropics and spend all winter in Cairns.

Very pleased with this small batch .. seed parent was Majestic x forgetii  pollen parent dressleri

20220716_135214.jpg

• Like 1

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

18 hours ago, aussiearoids said:

Marie , most are approx 2 years old .. the very triangular one is one of my first acquisitions from up here in the tropics.

I would travel up from the sub-tropics and spend all winter in Cairns.

Very pleased with this small batch .. seed parent was Majestic x forgetii  pollen parent dressleri

20220716_135214.jpg

Nice!  Anth. dressleri is a great hybrid parent - I'm thinking of Circus Peanuts.  I've attached a photo of my A. dressleri x A. papillilaminum hybrids but it's much too early to determine the character of their leaves.

Anthurium dressleri x Anthurium papillilaminum.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Been waiting on right opportunity and finally purchased Anthurium wendlingeri.  Found an experienced breeder in CA.  Shipped in it’s pot, fully rooted and in Its growing season—- lessons learned; no need to make it more difficult on myself.

91FE6AD2-9634-434D-88E5-D13169272E1D.thumb.jpeg.5c2980b808fd5f80c82b23cb19c684b6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Couldn’t resist a couple of photos of A. cupulispathum in flower this morning. Striking in it’s various stages.

Tim

7D335C62-DBBE-4AA4-8096-B15AD7BD66DB.jpeg

4EBF3224-2AEA-42C1-A963-1AF7A1325504.jpeg

E62205AC-9729-4E40-8C13-76ACA6CD29D4.jpeg

059B6C2C-E1C9-4203-8603-D4009BAA4388.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

1 hour ago, realarch said:

A. cupulispathum

Impressive leaves and flowers.  Very nice!

Just found this spadix on A. faustomirandae, apparently I pollinated it but can;t remember what with. Anyone up for a mystery grow out?

IMG_4331.jpg

IMG_4332.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

• 4 weeks later...

An excellent sale price from a pre order to Ecuagenera for another Anthurium waroqueanum “seedling” that I picked up last May at the Tamiami orchid show.

Way lower than the cost of ones in the catalog’s regular online price or at the same show.

Planted it out last week after LOTS of work clearing a big new planting area. It’s closer to the tree fern than it appears in this photo so hope it will take the hint and climb up!

328B8B41-B681-4332-85E9-8F4D0D0A9983.thumb.jpeg.d55fe98142b05e5e8b4795b0dbd51ca2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

These are some hybrids I made between Anthurium 'Mehani' and Anthurium (besseae x magnificum). (Anthurium 'Mehani' = (magnificum x [radicans x luxurians]) x crystallinum.image.thumb.jpeg.76a54d9984274e76594338502dcc3ea7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.20acadd6f667067cc3350cb1f1701bfe.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5182.jpeg

• Like 1

And a couple of hybrids between A. forgetii x (besseae x magnificum)

fullsizeoutput_518b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_518d.jpeg

• Like 2

On 6/1/2022 at 7:49 PM, metalfan said:

It can take a long time though. I am not sure about a rootless stem cutting trying to support leaves. I mean, I guess they do...but...I have no experience with it

I’m finally seeing activity on the veitchii! This is a 12 month rehab from purchase and Putting out its first new leaf.  Was fearing the older leaves would shrivel before I could even fully rehab. It’s been without roots (that I can see ) for approximately 6 months now; the glass terrarium must have helped it along.  

Anyhow know - Do anthuriums generally follow any pattern with initiating new roots with new growth?  I’m really hoping it puts out roots on this bald chonk so I can remove it from ICU  and put with my other anthuriums. I especially like the tight ribbing on the existing leaves; much different from my other veitchiis.

97B55659-6710-41B0-A676-1CDFDF7A7175.thumb.jpeg.7aa35f848147e891dff429db676c2e69.jpeg

B259C234-6167-4898-8EDE-52F1B44B3F43.thumb.jpeg.40b34d62277cbf6b2e4ad3ad4fb13493.jpeg

4A1FEFBD-D575-4455-849C-4199F1AA10F2.thumb.jpeg.ce0ac36e01a5ebeef95081e66c197016.jpeg

1FD9BD6D-CD49-4DCE-B83F-475E31636FBE.thumb.jpeg.a692662296f1ff9da90a9dfd7d1aa2d7.jpeg

• Like 1

Giving myself a 2nd chance at A. luxurians.  Bought one last year and through a cascade effect of my dumb mistakes in acclimating, managed to kill the import in weeks.

Ecuagenera USA sent this to me in a pot rather than bare root; which I appreciate. Sticking to conventional acclimating procedures this time with humidity tent and grow light ready to go.

4EFDE9CA-BF1F-4DC6-A576-4E76827A828E.thumb.jpeg.08997de1eb4d00a9d3d5d05ce0504dda.jpeg

BF81200F-676F-43B2-AC05-4A080156F1A7.thumb.jpeg.08a690b438c7f74793965a8a12caa1ff.jpeg

Edited by piping plovers
Photos
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nice specimen!.  know this is probably an unpopular statement, but ordering from the nursery in Apopka, of plants they already have there in stock, is IMO a much better route to go than importing. I was at Ecuagenera 2 weeks ago. They are getting ready for their open house next week. All the plants are healthy, happy and growing well. If I was ordering through the mail, I would much rather get an established plant in a pot from them, and PAY MORE, than get one that is an import. They have done the work for you. Its established and growing well already. And since they are legally able to ship everywhere, what's not to like? I have been growing luxurians for over 15 years, and I have found that they are not one of the anthuriums that particularly need extra high humidity. Their leaves are thick, very coriaceous, and able to withstand drier air. This one is not from Ecuagenera to my knowledge. This one was purchased from a seller in Miami over a decade ago, and was from tissue culture at Agristarts. This was their clone that they chose out of all their TC specimens to market and go forward with and it was sold under the name Anthurium luxurians 'Quilted Heart'. But who knows where the original tissue for culture came from? Could very well have been Ecuagenera from the past. Its a tough as nails plant. It can get a bit ratty in winter, but usually looks pretty great.

IMG_1448.JPG

fullsizeoutput_3eab.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_486c.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, metalfan said:

was ordering through the mail, I would much rather get an established plant in a pot from them, and PAY MORE, than get one that is an import. They have done the work for you. Its established and growing well already. And since they are legally able to ship everywhere, what's not to like? I

Thank you.  Yes, I concur with you on the ecuagenera USA benefits.  I’ve only ordered from the USA operation twice and both times arrived potted and well established.  I don’t mind paying more for that and if the main ecuagenera operation offered plants shipped potted I would gladly pay more; I’m assuming they have ag import limitations with shipping soil or soil less media into USA.  

12 hours ago, metalfan said:

I have been growing luxurians for over 15 years, and I have found that they are not one of the anthuriums that particularly need extra high humidity. Their leaves are thick, very coriaceous, and able to withstand drier air

Good knowing this and that makes sense to me.

Not sure what happened to prices on these but I’m not complaining.  😊 Last year could not find anything below $350 or $400 for this size plant.  I got this for $100.  Perhaps they really increased supply with seedlings or demand has dropped —or both.

@piping ploversfrom my limited understanding of import laws, yes, nothing can come in in soil from Ecuador (or anywhere else). I think moss is allowed but everything gets bare rooted and shipped in moss and comes in paper sleeving. The nursery employees then have to inspect it all and pot everything up. I have been there when they were potting up a huge shipment. Someone from the nursery goes from Apopka to the Port of Miami on almost a weekly basis to receive plants from Ecuador. They haul everything back and then the employees have to manage it. There aren't that many employees. It takes a while. After everything gets potted up they used to have a policy that they would not sell anything for 6 weeks. I think they have discontinued that policy. Because at the open houses they have tables of still fresh imports you can get for a cheaper cost than a plant that they have been growing and nurturing for a while. Which makes sense. They have expended time and resources on those plants.

I also asked when I was there once about the name thing. The reason why there are a lot of plants that have what everyone refers to as made up names are because they are undescribed species that have no names yet. But they have to have a name on each individual plant to get it through customs. So they will put a name on it like an AFF name or a name that reflects the region it came from in their grow operation (they have 5 individual widely separated compounds that all these plants come from) just so they can get the plants into the country. Its possible that many of these plants will in time be described and given real names. But until then, we all have to wait.

• Like 1

Can anyone on here help me id this anthurium? I got a cutting and it is now in ground. Mother plant and the cutting in pic

75EEC6B1-05A6-44D6-BC53-AAAFED4F84B5.jpeg

4229583E-EBBA-412D-8258-B6FC85076FF9.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

13 minutes ago, John hovancsek said:

Can anyone on here help me id this anthurium? I got a cutting and it is now in ground. Mother plant and the cutting in pic

75EEC6B1-05A6-44D6-BC53-AAAFED4F84B5.jpeg

4229583E-EBBA-412D-8258-B6FC85076FF9.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It looks like an Anthurium luxuriens x A. papillilaminum cross.  I can't be positive though because there are so many new luxuriens hybrids around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marie Nock said:

It looks like an Anthurium luxuriens x A. papillilaminum cross.  I can't be positive though because there are so many new luxuriens hybrids around.

I'm changing the ID I gave you.  A friend was just over and identified an anthurium seedling he had given me a few month ago.  Its petiole is red like your picture and the hybrid was made by David Fell so it's in Hawaii.  I think your plant is Anthurium luxuriens x A. dressleri.

• Upvote 2

On 9/10/2022 at 9:24 AM, metalfan said:

I also asked when I was there once about the name thing. The reason why there are a lot of plants that have what everyone refers to as made up names are because they are undescribed species that have no names yet. But they have to have a name on each individual plant to get it through customs. So they will put a name on it like an AFF name or a name that reflects the region it came from in their grow operation (they have 5 individual widely separated compounds that all these plants come from) just so they can get the plants into the country. Its possible that many of these plants will in time be described and given real names. But until then, we all have to wait.

Thanks for that information, good to know. Would like to visit their Apopka location sometime. Been binge watching YouTube series on a French botanist traveling the world; a few in South America where he is pointing out anthuriums and philodendrons (among many others) growing in situ.  Some IDs are stumping even him.

3 hours ago, piping plovers said:

Thanks for that information, good to know. Would like to visit their Apopka location sometime. Been binge watching YouTube series on a French botanist traveling the world; a few in South America where he is pointing out anthuriums and philodendrons (among many others) growing in situ.  Some IDs are stumping even him.

Sounds interesting, do you have a link?

Great anthuriums too, by the way. I love following these posts.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, spike said:

Sounds interesting, do you have a link?

Great anthuriums too, by the way. I love following these posts

Thank you.

hopefully the link posted fine. Otherwise you can look up Field Trip with Patrick Blanc.  He’s quite the character and fascinating to “walk” through the forests with him. The one below is Guatemala, part 1. I’m still watching his trips to Papuan New Guinea and I just noticed there is one in Ecuador which I’m sure will be more interesting to me as it is sure to have orchids, anthuriums and philodendrons.

Following up on my post above and continued binge watching.  The Peru episode part 2 has some interesting pendant anthurium, philodendrons, bromeliads growing in situ at around the 16:00 mark in the video link below.  Only 16 mins in and  Am really enjoying this Peruvian Amazon hike:

..and a fascinating fingered climbing anthurium-looking plant at the 49 minute mark in the video 

Edited by piping plovers
Added info

• 1 month later...

Update on my indoor anthurium warocqueanums: the biggest one below has put out the largest leaves since I’ve owned any of these and I’m growing in normal houseplant conditions, which for me is approximately 62f to 75f and humidity around the plants is typically around 70% and down to 45% at lowest in winter. Amazing to see this advance from the narrow seedling leaves. Growing it in a clear soda bottle with large air holes. Now, my other one lives the pampered life in a large glass terrarium type vase, it’s stopped dropping leaves since going in there and producing long aerial roots in the super high humidity in that vase.

0F97D3D0-4D80-4255-BE96-7476685D4AEF.thumb.jpeg.100ed9aa5f3a5c2e0eb0137aa09f27b5.jpeg

D2580095-52E7-4C89-A095-081FE47095AD.thumb.jpeg.2427189cf55f9dcac499daf586b1e971.jpeg

420C3E52-A6B4-4DD2-9EC1-3BB25869701F.thumb.jpeg.f87f952edb7494418d67ed43d166a63e.jpeg

7DC515BB-DA18-42EA-8D6B-E43049403459.thumb.jpeg.0d3c4892c34b983127459c16a22f9fc5.jpeg

Edited by piping plovers
Photos
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Marie Nock said:

I love it when Anth. chamberlanianum x A. veitchii gives me a new leaf.

That’s stunning! It brought you Holiday celebration colors :) happy thanksgiving day 

On 9/3/2022 at 2:25 PM, Cindy Adair said:

An excellent sale price from a pre order to Ecuagenera for another Anthurium waroqueanum “seedling” that I picked up last May at the Tamiami orchid show.

Way lower than the cost of ones in the catalog’s regular online price or at the same show.

Planted it out last week after LOTS of work clearing a big new planting area. It’s closer to the tree fern than it appears in this photo so hope it will take the hint and climb up!

328B8B41-B681-4332-85E9-8F4D0D0A9983.thumb.jpeg.d55fe98142b05e5e8b4795b0dbd51ca2.jpeg

@Cindy Adair I am excited to see how this queen does in PR! That is a beautiful queen! 

23 hours ago, piping plovers said:

That’s stunning! It brought you Holiday celebration colors :) happy thanksgiving day 

Thank you.  Hope your Thanksgiving was great too!

20 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

Just beautiful Marie!

I hope our paths will cross again soon.

Thanks, Cindy.  Let me know when you're coming this way.  You'll likely get to Miami before I get to Puerto Rico.

20 minutes ago, Marie Nock said:

Thanks, Cindy.  Let me know when you're coming this way.  You'll likely get to Miami before I get to Puerto Rico.

Will do, Marie! I think I have visitors here in January so will miss Tamiami.

But I am trying to get to the Redlands Show in May at Homestead en route to the next Palm Society meeting. 

I could select plants (and stow them at a friend’s place who has volunteered) and just pick them up on my return flight from the meeting. 

There are collectors here, but very few who I have met compared to Hawaii and Miami. 

Cindy Adair

Does Anyone recognize what could be the issue(s) with my Anthurium wendlingeri? My first guess was some type of rust on the leaves as I overcompensated at first with high humidity levels (over 80%) in the sunroom and perhaps the airflow was not enough to mitigate any fungus problems.  Roots are small but seem okay - Don’t think I lost any.  Have been careful not to overwater.  Growing it along with my other strap leafs (pallidiflorum, vittariifolium) which are flourishing in this space after acclimating over a year.  Any reason to grow wendlingeri differently than these other straps?

Forgot to add that I transferred it from the black mesh pot to a clear slatted orchid pot weeks after receiving; not sure if this contributed to issues.

It just never acclimated right and this would be an expensive loss for me.  Thanks for any advice!

—Joe

Photos below when first received in August followed by current

D439A5BE-CD94-47B1-B2D8-42C60EDF49C3.thumb.jpeg.c740d2afc61112c0f8939fbc95a9d4b7.jpeg

7A95D7A4-41A6-4733-B537-F4BFD8D4665E.thumb.jpeg.0fcd4e0be417ab23a73abe8100efdb85.jpeg

Edited by piping plovers
Added

• 2 weeks later...

Ecuagenera visit in FL - Anthurium wendlingeri.

I drove up to Apopka from Weston, FL to finally visit this place and see if I could purchase an Anthurium wendlingeri.  Such a worthwhile visit. I went through the whole retail greenhouse with some friends I was visiting and didn’t find any wendlingeri; website was showing out of stock. I figured it was worth a shot.

The staff member was amazing; she brought me into the back greenhouse and found me one that was finishing its acclimation from Ecuador.  I purchased that one. There were smaller ones that just arrived and still needed to adjust.  

A perfect place for those who love aroids and orchids. Upon leaving I told my friends they had just witnessed a collection of tropical plants that most would never see in their lifetime. 

Here’s the little guy…

6C3655C3-0337-462D-B6CD-299F1F6F185F.thumb.jpeg.c92948b1d0461592f96f4e469d7cc830.jpeg

[forgetii x papillilaminum ] x crystallinum

P1030083.thumb.JPG.0b17ad4300b0b88e467c306d9e2c609e.JPG

Edited by aussiearoids
wrong image added
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Can you have too much papillilaminum in a hybrid ? 

Angers me to see so many spelling this amazing species name incorrectly .

P1030095.JPG

P1030094.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

papillilaminum x dressleri F2 [dressleri shape]

P1030099.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I made the opposite cross - dressleri x papillilaminum ...  The seedlings are still growing; they're still in 4" pots.

Anthurium dressleri x A papillilaminum 4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

watermaliense x magnificum-x

P1030109.JPG

• Upvote 2