IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How does this flame thrower look?

Breaktheory

It depends on the weather in the summer here it doesn’t take long to turn green maybe a couple of days in the winter they stay colored for a week or two!

• Upvote 1

Thank you.  I am considering getting one (been considering for some time) because I want a bigger specimen, something with at least 2 feet or more of trunk, and I like to see the color of the leaf before buying and I may never see one available locally in that condition lol.

I was thinking about big marcocarpas in containers with no obvious red and lots of trunk but still in a container.  To some degree, these palms get sold by the red leaf and if it is emerging the chances of purchase is higher.  This could mean that older palms that you see on sale that do not have a new leaf to observe are more likely to be green ones.  For example if its a 1/5 chance of green from seed, with 2-3' of trunk the chances of it being a green one probably are higher(it would have a higher chance of already being sold).           Color depends on the concentration of anthocyanin and position of the observer with respect to the sun.  All chambeys will be less red to the obvserver as they grow tall (unless you are a bird or are flying drone) because light passing through the leaf will have some chlorophyll absorption(passes green).   WHen the sun is at your back and you look at a palm, you get mostly reflected light that has passed through the epidermal layer only.  I have (5) chambeys, two hookeri one watermelon and one regular macrocarpa and all show color.  None were red when I bought them but I trusted the seller who indicated they threw red leaves.  The hookeri seem to need the bright sun to look their most red and the others dont like bright sun, they macrocarpas burn easily and look less colorful in bright sun. image.thumb.png.a1fd9303912f215a4df8dab490346ae2.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank