IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

what's happening to this trachy???

newtopalmsMD

93108201_bluishfrond.jpg.aa284fb92b83e27cd41eb52b878d9c29.jpgI live in Olney MD, zone 7a, and it was a pretty mild winter.  Tonight I went to start removing mulch and cut dead fronds and found the frond in the first picture coming out of one of my trachy's  It pulled fairly easily but the end is not dark like is usually get when a spear pulls.  Also the stem of the frond had the consistency of slightly undercooked pasta.  The next full frond is bluer than I'd like.  Also fronds are wilting and turning brown about half way up the fronds.  See fronds in second picture.  Other green fronds are wilty and sagging.   Is this a fungus problem? or could it be something else.  I did spray in the crown twice with copper fungicide and used a couple of inches of wood mulch for mulch instead of oak leaves.  I do have some hydrogen peroxide i could pour in the crown.  Any ideas are appreciated.

Dead Speaar.jpg

Most likely fungus.  Only other possibility is a lot of fertilizer.  Did you mean you treated before now with copper or just now?  You didn't have any bad low temps (17) but small palms can still spear pull.  Will likely pull thru.  The middle part of the spear with the crunched up line looks like where the fungus got to.  Do you have a green spear showing?  

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I sprayed with copper once in Feb and once in March.  Did not do anything today.  There is about 2 or 3 inches of a new spear visible but it does not look good.  more green than the one that pulled but not as nice as spears on my other trachy's.   I have H2O2 I could pour down the opening or spray more copper fungicide.  Taking all advice  Thanks

11 hours ago, newtopalmsMD said:

I sprayed with copper once in Feb and once in March.  Did not do anything today.  There is about 2 or 3 inches of a new spear visible but it does not look good.  more green than the one that pulled but not as nice as spears on my other trachy's.   I have H2O2 I could pour down the opening or spray more copper fungicide.  Taking all advice  Thanks

Your preventative spraying probably stopped the fungus already if you see a spear pushing.  That's why you didn't have a worse mushy pull.  Watch the new spear and make sure it is pushing up over a week and gently pull on it to make sure it does not pull. If it doesn't pull you will have a ugly frond but the next one will be ok.   No more spraying is needed if pushing a spear even if it is ugly.  

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F