IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Salem Oregon Washy update

Fallen Munk

Latest update on the palms.  As of 7/27/22, the owner of this property cut them down.  May they rest in peace.  Thanks to everybody following along.

• Upvote 2

On 5/20/2022 at 4:33 PM, Fallen Munk said:

Address in Google Earth.

Salem Washys.jpg

What about the windmills along street. I try to not get attached to palms. They get wacked for no good.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

25 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

What about the windmills along street. I try to not get attached to palms. They get wacked for no good.

Those are still there.

1 hour ago, Fallen Munk said:

As of 7/27/22, the owner of this property cut them down. 

Common sense isn't so common any more.:rolleyes:

I’ll skip what I really would like to say. 

Here are my two Washy’s let’s hope they live as long. First one is over a year in the ground. The last photo is the one I planted this spring.  

90713A28-53AE-465D-B5BB-3A844F494078.jpeg

ED60E2EE-1F5B-4B57-87E0-7B9138E7B18B.jpeg

BFE44A21-F10C-4861-99A7-8A0AA6B514BF.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

Latest update on the palms.  As of 7/27/22, the owner of this property cut them down.  May they rest in peace.  Thanks to everybody following along.

Well that didn't go well

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

13 hours ago, Allen said:

Well that didn't go well

If I knew they wanted them gone I would have offered to dig them and relocate to my property.  Unfortunately it's a rental and I never researched who the owner is.  Water under the bridge now.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Chester B said:

I’ll skip what I really would like to say. 

Here are my two Washy’s let’s hope they live as long. First one is over a year in the ground. The last photo is the one I planted this spring.  

90713A28-53AE-465D-B5BB-3A844F494078.jpeg

ED60E2EE-1F5B-4B57-87E0-7B9138E7B18B.jpeg

BFE44A21-F10C-4861-99A7-8A0AA6B514BF.jpeg

Wow, those look great!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

If I knew they wanted them gone I would have offered to dig them and relocate to my property.  Unfortunately it's a rental and I never researched who the owner is.  Water under the bridge now.

I had a few neighbors remove some nice palms over the last couple of years.  Such a shame, I would've gladly dug out the smaller ones.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 1:50 PM, Fallen Munk said:

... the owner of this property cut them down. 

There's no aptitude test for owning a chainsaw. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I had forgotten about these Washies in Kelso, until I saw them again today.  They've been in-ground since at least 2020, and I don't believe they protect them at all.  I don't go through Kelso often but I've never seen it anyway. 

The tallest one is about 7' tall or so.  They look very healthy. 

There are a few smaller ones that the older fronds are quite damaged, it looks like they grew several fronds this summer. 

20221113_112455.jpg

20221113_112504.jpg

• Like 10

Kelso is wetter and colder than here in Portland so thats awesome. It makes you think all that concrete and the rock mulch might be creating a favorable microclimate. 

My neighbor also has at least two Washies but they don’t look as good as mine. But they have been surviving winters with a fair amount of damage. 

The larger 3 specimens did not have any apparent damage, much to my surprise.   There are also a few smaller ones in front, large 5 gal size maybe, the old fronds were quite damaged, but all the new fronds looked great.  Presuming all the green is new growth from this year; I should have taken pictures of the smaller ones.  

I'm sure you're right about the concrete and rock.  

When I planted my robusta here I thought they were doomed from the start but there may be hope after all. If you can keep them alive long enough to get some size. 

• Like 2

Wow... They did well considering we got hit with the awful artic blast last December. The microclimate and full sun surely helps them a lot. Bravo!

Hello Everyone, Washingtonia filibusta at a house off Juliana Loop SE Salem Oregon zone 8b. I have been keeping an eye on this palm for over a year now. It has filifera characteristics but definitely not true filifera. I think it is pretty neglected and on its own as far as I can tell and doesnt receive irrigation. I know it didn't receive winter protection last winter but I cannot speak for the winters prior to that. These four pictures were from April of this year. I know our spring and early summer were quite cool and wet but I we did get a few sunny days.

53528.jpeg

53527.jpeg

53529.jpeg

53530.jpeg

Edited by PlantDad
  • Like 4

That looks beat up but making it!  The real killer this past year was not the minimum lows (although they were fairly low) but the precipitation leading into the extended freeze event.  Which, precipitation seems to be the bane of Washingtonia's existence.  I have really changed my opinion on the survivability of these palms in the PNW.  You guys on the south side of the Columbia get less precipitation than us up here too so you've got that in your favor. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/28/2022 at 8:40 AM, Fallen Munk said:

f I knew they wanted them gone I would have offered to dig them and relocate to my property.  Unfortunately it's a rental and I never researched who the owner is.  Water under the bridge now.

I have a neighbor down the street who has a 9 foot Butia C..  It is about 40+ years old and was planted about 10 feet from a CIDP which now totally shades the Butia, so it is hardly growing although looks in good health.  I know the owners and I have considered asking them if they would sell the Butia to me.  Can you give advice on how to transplant the Palm.  The palm is about 1/4 mile away, very close.   It really is a nice butia but I hate to see it struggle in the dark shade of the CIDP.

6 hours ago, Banana Belt said:

I have a neighbor down the street who has a 9 foot Butia C..  It is about 40+ years old and was planted about 10 feet from a CIDP which now totally shades the Butia, so it is hardly growing although looks in good health.  I know the owners and I have considered asking them if they would sell the Butia to me.  Can you give advice on how to transplant the Palm.  The palm is about 1/4 mile away, very close.   It really is a nice butia but I hate to see it struggle in the dark shade of the CIDP.

At that size you are definitely going need to hire professionals, probably with a compact excavator. Pictures would definitely help, is this 9 feet clear trunk? Or including the leaves?

• Like 1

Lucas

3 hours ago, Little Tex said:

At that size you are definitely going need to hire professionals, probably with a compact excavator. Pictures would definitely help, is this 9 feet clear trunk? Or including the leaves?

IMG_2398.thumb.JPG.3768b51c41d763cb7c371c76995b750f.JPGIMG_2400.thumb.JPG.5ceb9c9bd54406242249a293c652048e.JPG

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Banana Belt said:

IMG_2398.thumb.JPG.3768b51c41d763cb7c371c76995b750f.JPGIMG_2400.thumb.JPG.5ceb9c9bd54406242249a293c652048e.JPG

That's going to be a very heavy palm and difficult to move! Do you have any king/banglow palms (archontophoenix cunninghamiana)? I bet they would do well if you planted those especially the Illawarra variety. I know there's 1 good sized one in Brookings but I'm not sure if there are any Illawarra's around. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Foxpalms said:

That's going to be a very heavy palm and difficult to move!

Yes I know that but I really like that Butia and have a perfect spot to put it, what concerns me are the roots of the big CIDP next to it.  Might be difficult to separate their roots without damaging both.  Difficult to see in picture, but there are several other palms all packed together like a jungle.  I can only guess what the root system of all these palms is like.

Edited by Banana Belt
  • Like 2

Hi....  I moved to Salem from Portland.  I had no idea that a Butia could grow here in Salem.  I am looking to add some palms to my small yard.  I have two Windmill palms which have been in the ground for about three years.  They seem fine.  I am looking at maybe Jubaea chilensis, Buta odorata & Sabal minor.    Is Raintree Nursery open or closed?  I called them a few times, but just get an answering machine & no call back.  Any other suggestions where I can buy some palms sort of in my area?  Many thanks,

mraroid

17 hours ago, mraroid said:

Hi....  I moved to Salem from Portland.  I had no idea that a Butia could grow here in Salem.  I am looking to add some palms to my small yard.  I have two Windmill palms which have been in the ground for about three years.  They seem fine.  I am looking at maybe Jubaea chilensis, Buta odorata & Sabal minor.    Is Raintree Nursery open or closed?  I called them a few times, but just get an answering machine & no call back.  Any other suggestions where I can buy some palms sort of in my area?  Many thanks,

mraroid

They're only open on Friday and Saturday.  WIth one employee he's not usually around the desk with the phone, best to go in person.  They have Jubaea  and Sabal minor,  and mostly have Butia eriospatha but might have odorata as well but I've never looked for one.  As far as I've seen they are the only ones with Sabal minor locally.  There is also an online vendor NE Ohio Palms on Etsy/Ebay that sells nice Sabal minors for a decent price, that people on here have been happy with.

Oregon palm nursery in Woodburn has Jubaea and Butia.  You will have to check their hours as its usually only open on Saturday or by appointment.

Palmscape in Boring usually have Jubaea and Butia as well. 

One Green World in SE Portland had Jubaea and Butia last spring. I haven't been back lately to see if they ordered in palms this year.

Occasionally you'll see small Butias at a random nursery.  @Fallen Munkhas bought Butias from Lowes in Salem before, which one I don't know.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chester B said:

Thank you Chester B.    I will drive out to Raintree this Friday or Saturday.  I appreciate all the other suggestions as well.  I did find NE Ohio Palm's web site.  If I cant buy a Sabal minor here locally, I will buy one from them.  They seem to have good prices and free shipping.  I might pick up a needle palm from them as well.  mraroid

• Like 1

I re read this post. I have seen those washies in person before they were cut down. 

I think collertorpalms comments are spot on.  He was saying to look at the placement and other environmental components helping these along. 

That said, I have often thought about increasing the solar load in marginal climates.  Is it that yellow? I am not sure.

But in the back of my mind, I have often wondered about increasing the solar in the PNW and some other places.  Tin foil reflectors?  Was the placement and light colored house helping this?

Maybe.

If so, that alone would create higher diurnal temperatures, which would tend to dry things out a tad more than outside that microclimate. Maybe is was just enough.......

Just my thoughts, now back to the regular scheduled program!

• Upvote 1