• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Carolina Coconut Palm

Palmy Pal

On 9/30/2022 at 4:01 PM, ZPalms said:

That's some risky business, good to see it hasn't changed behavior since doing that 😋:greenthumb:

Bad news bro...

It shrivelled up and died. 😰🙁

Oh well, it was a nice experiment and I enjoyed the big tropical fronds for a few months.

Good luck to you and hopefully your survives.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 10:40 PM, Philly J said:

Required to be indoors 10 months of the year.  Northern Canada. 

163E8F5E-2D09-4068-ABC5-6DAB6FD30BAD.jpeg

Wow. How old is it? 

previously known as ego

On 10/17/2022 at 12:25 PM, Zeni said:

Bad news bro...

Oh well, it was a nice experiment and I enjoyed the big tropical fronds for a few months.

Aww that sucks, Sorry for your loss, I definitely think you should try again eventually. I don't understand dehusking but it sounds like risky business I couldn't ever attempt 😟

• Upvote 1

On 10/17/2022 at 5:25 PM, Zeni said:

Bad news bro...

Was it one of the Dutch greenhouse grown ones. If so I would recommend growing one from seed, the Dutch greenhouse ones are harder to grow than lipstick palms in my opinion because the only conditions they've ever seen are hot and humid.

• Upvote 1

@ZPalms

I'll try next year for sure. Lol, it did so well for me until I messed it up by messing with its root system (tearing apart the husk stressed it out and was fatal). 

@Foxpalms

Yeah, it was one of those green house locally mass produced ones. They often sell it for low prices (7 to 10 bucks) around June here.

Long term I am aiming more for growing Syagrus weddelliana (also known as Lytocaryum weddelliana). It's Cocos-like and takes up less room. Seeds of this species I bought a few months ago are finally starting to germinate.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

So glad to see I'm not the only one with this crazy idea of growing coconuts in NC lol. I've had really good luck so far with my orchids and other temperature sensitive plants from South Florida (4 years) in Onslow Co. NC. Only fatality so far was my Desert Rose. My current project happens to be one of my 2 most favorite trees...............  the Australian pine lol.

I am now ready to take a giant leap and try  my other favorite tree, the Coconut palm. Hopefully this coming spring I will be prepared for it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update on the coconut! It is loving soaking up the sun on these warm days… a few older leaves died back when it was inside but that’s expected as usual for my cocos when I overwinter them. Should hopefully have this guy back outside full time again in a month or two… 

F366D612-CE8C-4645-B9D7-0DBF592DF755.jpeg

8E9E93A0-EF08-4BD4-ABE5-39D31D13DD1A.jpeg

• Like 2

I was shopping for coconuts to eat at the grocery store and found one who had a green bump in one of the eyes. I bought it and put it in a plastic bag with water and placed in the microwave as storage. a few months later I transplanted to a pot. It's been about 2 months since the transplant and a few leaves are trying to open and the stalk is about 10 inches tall. There are yellow streaks up the middle part of the leaves and the tips of some are brown but it's growing. I potted it in miracle gro citrus, palm and succulent potting soil and have given it long warm showers in the tub weekly up until a few weeks ago when I got a grow light and put a plastic container over it to make a green house. Now I am misting a few times daily, direct on the leaves and misting up the green house. I bought a liquid iron foliar product with micro nutrients and began applying it today in hopes of helping it grow. Any help or suggestions or help would be appreciated, I've never grown a palm before. I live in Annapolis, Maryland for the time being. dry cool to cold winters hot humid summers. I'm not sure why, but I thought the nutrients in the nut and potting mix would be enough for a year but it's clear it needs more of something than I am giving it now.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

This is another attempt at overwintering a coconut palm grown in Nc. This palm was sprouted from a coconut I collected in Venice FL back in early summer. I am overwintering this one indoors this winter instead of the greenhouse. Last winter the coconuts died from what I can assume was due to the short layer of cold air that stayed close to the ground in there. I reckon the cold air caused the roots to get too cold and caused it to die. Friendly reminder even if you have a heated greenhouse (that doesn’t even get below 65f) these palms will still find a way to die and laugh at you. Anyways I’ll keep y'all updated on how it goes. This method has proven successful in past years. So fingers crossed. 

IMG_3172.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Update on the coconut, it overwintered very well and i repotted it yesterday into a spacious pot. Going to be outdoors for good now that it is warm enough for it. Will keep y’all updated on IMG_8485.thumb.jpeg.70df3dd54a3eee2864c5a1ca3a90df31.jpegIMG_8489.thumb.jpeg.daa1471ba42966481aed947e458ec0d1.jpegIMG_8490.thumb.jpeg.27860d481c7b663ebc04efacb17da7d2.jpeg

• Like 3