IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhapidophyllum hystrix Seeds (Chambers County, AL)

Bigfish

I was debating on whether or not to sell these, but I will sell some.  I was going to keep them all to myself and grow them, but I can share if others really want them. 

These come from the southeastern corner of Chambers County, Alabama.  It's one of the most northerly populations of Needle Palms in their habitat.  I only know of two other populations further north:  one in Washington County, GA, and the most northerly population in Bibb County, AL.  Most Rhapidophyllum are found south of the Fall Line, but these are slightly north of it.  Their climate is a solid zone 8a, so they get exposed to some decent cold snaps every year.  The coldest temperature ever recorded here was -7F in 1985.  Although the palms here don't look any different from most other populations, the seeds are slightly larger, more hairy, and a bright yellow color when ripe.  I'm attaching a couple of maps for reference.  You'll notice that there aren't any officially documented populations listed in Chambers County.

I've sent several of these palms to colder locations to trial them there (Pennsylvania and Ohio), just to see if there's any additional cold-hardiness from their northern provenance.  While I can't claim that they are more cold-hardy than your average Needle Palm, it would only stand to reason that they would be more hardy than a Needle Palm sourced from seed from North Florida.  So far, the few palms in trials have done exceptionally well.  Time will tell!

$10/10, $18/25, $30/50, $40/100.  DM me for PayPal address.  Add $5 shipping in the USA.  International orders are significantly more (probably close to $20, but it'll be on an individual basis), and please know your import laws/regs. 

Rhapidophyllum Chambers County AL Map.jpg

Rhapidophyllum AL Distribution Map.jpg

Fall Line.jpg

Needles3.jpg

Needles2.jpg

Needles1.jpg

Needles5.jpg

Needles4.jpg

Needles6.jpg

Seedsyellow.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Love the habitat photos

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

26 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Love the habitat photos

Thanks!  It's a nice little area.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, chuckg said:

I will take 100.

My E-mail address is 69chuckfg69@gmail.com. Let me know your paypal.

DM sent.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my seeds a few days ago.  I was able to crack the shell off all but one, with zero damage, by squeezing the shell between my thumb and forefinger. They look very healthy inside.  This should help them germinate faster.  They are in a 24 hour distilled water soak.  I will dust them with a little fungicide powder and do the baggie method , with the seed in lightly moist Sphagnum peat Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/14/2022 at 12:41 PM, Bigfish said:

Thanks!  It's a nice little area.

It does look nice but I get creeped out in places like that. I always wonder if a Sasquatch will pop out and rip my head off. :bemused:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Got them a couple days ago, finally shelled them tonight, only one floater out of 100+! Thanks!

20220426_182803.jpg

Edited by Jesse PNW
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, EastWest said:

Hey - we would take 200 seeds if still available. DM me about paypal and shipping

DM sent!

• 3 months later...

Oh darn darn darn!

Was gonna get some to send to friends in Ohio 

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

7 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Oh darn darn darn!

Was gonna get some to send to friends in Ohio 

I'll have fresh seeds early next year, Dave.  That is, if there are seeds to be had, LOL.  And there always are. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had any of these germinate?  Mine unfortunately all rotted. 

I'll have to make another purchase, next time seeds are up, please let us know!

Edited by Jesse PNW

• 2 months later...

I again have fresh seeds from this same population of Rhapidophyllum hystrix.  Prices are the same ($10/10, $18/25, $30/50, $40/100.) 

I also have fresh seeds from the northernmost known population of Rhapidophyllum hystrix in Georgia (Washington County), second only to the very small Bibb County, Alabama population. 

Please specify which population of seeds that you want, or I'll choose for you.  They're both great, really. 

DM me for PayPal address.  Add $5 shipping in the USA.  International orders are significantly more (probably close to $20, but it'll be on an individual basis), and please know your import laws/regs. 

I want some...... but I've fail so many times at growing needle from seeds. Definitely finicky seeds to sprouts.   

I did however enjoy looking at those pics 😉 

• Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 11:19 AM, Alex Zone 5 said:

I want some...... but I've fail so many times at growing needle from seeds. Definitely finicky seeds to sprouts.   

I did however enjoy looking at those pics 😉 

A lot of people have difficulty with Rhapidophyllum seeds.  I might make a thread one day on some methods that people have found to be successful.

• Like 1