IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

MLB 2022 thread

JohnAndSancho

28 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Go Cubs Go. 

That is all. 

Giants   ..or Dodgers.. only,  haha..  Angles?, Diamondbacks? :rolleyes:  ...:floor:

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Giants   ..or Dodgers.. only,  haha..  Angles?, Diamondbacks? :rolleyes:  ...:floor:

You spelled Cubs wrong 4 times but it's ok

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

You spelled Cubs wrong 4 times but it's ok

Thought the Cubs were only allowed to win a series once every 100 years, or something like that, haha..   

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2022 at 12:13 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Thought the Cubs were only allowed to win a series once every 100 years, or something like that, haha..   

108 lol. World Series Champs 2124 confirmed. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In true Cub fashion, the Cubs are awful. 

I'm self abusing once again this year , by remaining a Pirates fan .

The perpetually re-building team , and at profit for the owner........

• Upvote 1

So far my two teams are doing well... (Dodgers & Angels)...:D

Butch. 

Edited by Butch
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bill H2DB said:

I'm self abusing once again this year , by remaining a Pirates fan .

The perpetually re-building team , and at profit for the owner........

Could be worse. You could be a Reds fan. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Welp 

It's May, and I'm ready for football season. 

#ThatsSoCub 

Well , at least the vines have turned green again .  I have the MLB package on the cable , and the Cubs broadcasters are quite entertaining , particularly

Jim Deshaies .

One of the benefits of the MLB package is that we get to hear the home team broadcast , rather than some Network overdone , over analyzed crap .

The home teams broadcast ( excepting the biggest cities ) also tend to do a lot more people watching / home crowd etc stuff , which to me is a big part of Baseball. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bill H2DB said:

Well , at least the vines have turned green again .  I have the MLB package on the cable , and the Cubs broadcasters are quite entertaining , particularly

Jim Deshaies .

One of the benefits of the MLB package is that we get to hear the home team broadcast , rather than some Network overdone , over analyzed crap .

The home teams broadcast ( excepting the biggest cities ) also tend to do a lot more people watching / home crowd etc stuff , which to me is a big part of Baseball. 

I love JD. I guess the good thing about the Cubs sucking is a lot less games on ESPN or Fox this year. 

I'm so old , that I remember the Saturday games with Pee Wee Reese and Dizzy Dean . The one day a week that we poor folk could see a game .

Before those , it was static filled AM radio , unless a local radio station carried the game .  In my very early days , the local guy actually read the game play by play from a teletype machine that could be heard in the background , typing away.  No crowd sounds etc , just that ...

BTW , seems to me , that the view shown back then was from the high above the plate looking out , so we could see the players positioning etc .

Now , with the universal look in from center field , you really can't see the " shift " etc .

I grew up with teams like ; Brooklyn Dodgers , New York Giants , Philadelphia Athletics , Washington Senators , Boston Braves,  etc etc .........

• Upvote 2

On 5/23/2022 at 7:20 AM, Bill H2DB said:

I'm so old , that I remember the Saturday games with Pee Wee Reese and Dizzy Dean . The one day a week that we poor folk could see a game .

Before those , it was static filled AM radio , unless a local radio station carried the game .  In my very early days , the local guy actually read the game play by play from a teletype machine that could be heard in the background , typing away.  No crowd sounds etc , just that ...

I'm not quite that old but I do remember moving up and down the AM dial at night in the 70's trying to find a game.  It was amazing how many stations I could get from Knoxville.  My favorite announcers were Harry Kalas (Phillies and NFL films) and Jack Buck (Cardinals).  It's cool that the TV voice of the Astros is Todd Kalas who sounds a lot like his dad.  I don't remember the Colt 45's but I do remember when the Washington Senators moved to Arlington and became the Texas Rangers 50 years ago!

Who would've thought that at the end of May the Diamondbacks would have a better record than the defending World Series champs?

Jon Sunder

• 2 weeks later...

The Cubs are losing big to a team advertising a Flo Rida concert in 2022. JFC. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/7/2022 at 6:38 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

The Cubs are losing big to a team advertising a Flo Rida concert in 2022. JFC. 

🤣  😂  :floor:  🤦‍♂️ ...I'm 💀.   Does make me  🤔  ...Which would be worse, ...to advertise or see in Concert... Flo Rida ..or Kid Rock? 

..Is there some distant planet in a distant galaxy we can send both to? 🤣:greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

🤣  😂  :floor:  🤦‍♂️ ...I'm 💀.   Does make me  🤔  ...Which would be worse, ...to advertise or see in Concert... Flo Rida ..or Kid Rock? 

..Is there some distant planet in a distant galaxy we can send both to? 🤣:greenthumb:

Honestly I did see Kid Rock live. It was 1998, he opened up for Limp Bizkit in Biloxi. 

7 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Honestly I did see Kid Rock live. It was 1998, he opened up for Limp Bizkit in Biloxi. 

Haha, Like admitting to singing Nickelback or N-Sync songs in public,  being in the presence of Kid Rock would qualify as a one time, forgivable offense.  The valid excuse being it was the late 90s / early 2Ks.

The "Bizkit Effect" at the same time was a sight to behold in Kansas. I can only imagine observing similar effects in the south.

44 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Haha, Like admitting to singing Nickelback or N-Sync songs in public,  being in the presence of Kid Rock would qualify as a one time, forgivable offense.  The valid excuse being it was the late 90s / early 2Ks.

The "Bizkit Effect" at the same time was a sight to behold in Kansas. I can only imagine observing similar effects in the south.

Bizkit still slaps, in small doses. 

On 8/30/2022 at 9:34 PM, Butch said:

90 Wins before September 1... Go Dodgers!

Butch

Giants / Dodgers today & tomorrow... Who to choose, haha🤔   Athletics? ( ....Who lost to the ...Orioles...?🤣 ) = 👎

2 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Giants / Dodgers today & tomorrow... Who to choose, haha🤔   Athletics? ( ....Who lost to the ...Orioles...?🤣 ) = 👎

The Orioles are actually respectable this year. Clearly the world is going to end. 

• Like 1

Just now, JohnAndSancho said:

The Orioles are actually respectable this year. Clearly the world is going to end. 

That will happen only if they get into the series, and win it all. 😄

15 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

That will happen only if they get into the series, and win it all. 😄

I dunno. The Cubs won one and we're all still here lol. 

2 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I dunno. The Cubs won one and we're all still here lol. 

The Cubs should be winning 5 out of 10 world series ( Giants get 3,  Dodgers, the rest ) haha

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

The Cubs should be winning 5 out of 10 world series ( Giants get 3,  Dodgers, the rest ) haha

As much as I'd love to see that, it means more when a team is historically shitty wins it all. As a fan of historically shitty teams (Cubs, Saints, Orlando Magic) I just feel like it means more than seeing a perennial contender win. But there's no reason the Cubs should have fallen from a champion to a cellar dweller this fast this hard. I mean, 3rd largest market, super expensive tickets, huge payroll, Wrigley is ALWAYS packed, and we've had like 3 10 game losing streaks this year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

As much as I'd love to see that, it means more when a team is historically shitty wins it all. As a fan of historically shitty teams (Cubs, Saints, Orlando Magic) I just feel like it means more than seeing a perennial contender win. But there's no reason the Cubs should have fallen from a champion to a cellar dweller this fast this hard. I mean, 3rd largest market, super expensive tickets, huge payroll, Wrigley is ALWAYS packed, and we've had like 3 10 game losing streaks this year. 

As much as i hate to say it - cuz' it sounds pathetically dumb, i sometimes get a feeling the games are rigged.  Again, while it sounds like something modern conspiracy theorist would say,  ...As you said, it's odd to go from working that hard to win it all, to laying in the muck on the basement floor so quickly.. A gradual slide to not winning, over the course of a couple seasons ..eh, ok, i can see that, but ..i dunno just a head scratcher.

Don't follow big league Basketball, but would like to see the Magic win again. A bit of 90's nostalgia seeing the Celtics " on their game " this year :greenthumb:

13 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

As much as i hate to say it - cuz' it sounds pathetically dumb, i sometimes get a feeling the games are rigged.  

The Cubs World Series parade/celebration was the 3rd largest gathering in human history. Over 5 million people showed up. To be fair it was the end of a 108 year drought but if you could draw half of that consistently, merchandise sales, etc etc vs someone who's winning consistently like, say, whoever Lebron James plays for this year lol 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After 2 losses in a row, a walk off pinch hit with 2 down in the bottom of the 9th, makes it # 104 ... D-Backs played tough... Go Dodgers!!!

Butch

• Upvote 1

Tio got the Dodgers for #700 the other night (Happy for him) but Dodgers tied their franchise win record with # 106 last night... Happy for them also...

Butch

• Upvote 2

On 10/2/2022 at 11:41 AM, Butch said:

110 wins and home field through the World Series... Go Blue!...

Butch

I'm cheering for whoever is playing against St Louis and Houston. 

The Pirates are desperately trying to avoid 100 losses , and last place as well .  

They are playing the visiting Cardinals at home tonight and Wednesday also , for their final game of the season.    Go Bucs !!!!

Well Judge got his 62nd... Good for him.. I consider it as a MLB record, not just a AL record... The other guys used a little help getting there...

Butch

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The Cubs only lost 88 games, didn't trade Cóntreras, and Morel is a stud. Lots of promising young pitching. Resigning Willson needs to be a priority because power hitting locker room leading catchers don't grow on trees, and he's the last remaining member of the 2016 championship team. 

111 regular season wins for the Dodgers (tied for 4th on all time list).... But it's a whole new season now.... So, Go Dodgers!!

Butch

• Upvote 2

On 9/6/2022 at 7:13 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

But there's no reason the Cubs should have fallen from a champion to a cellar dweller this fast this hard.

Owner selling off high salary players was a big reason that the Marlins went from World Series champion in 1997 to a 54-108 record in 1998!  Not even the Cubs managed to do that.  :)  Funny thing about the Marlins is that they've only had 7 winning seasons in their history (one of them the 2020 COVID season), never won their division but won 2 World Series as a wild card.  They've only lost one playoff series (2020) and every time they win more than 87 games they win the World Series!  I wonder if they are a fan of expanded playoffs?  

Jon Sunder