IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coldest Temps you saw in Winter of 22

Gator

I had 4 degrees here in Central ( High Elevation ) Utah

for the 8th year in a row.....we had a zone 7A winter

• Like 1

Bottomed out at 29F, the only occasion below freezing this past winter.

• Like 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Coldest mornings were 16F , 17F , 17F , 19F . Not a bad winter for here . Nothing needed protection but I did protect my Washy trunk because some of the forecasts  were for  12F -19F several days out , but it only got to 16F   that morning . I protect the trunk for anything below 15F . 

Will

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 1

12F

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

19F from data at Augusta Bush Field, Daniel Field usually reports warmer lows but I have no info that airport.

• Like 1

I hit 23F for about 30 minutes.

• Like 1

-8.3C. Coldest temps we have seen in 30+ years around here. 

• Like 1

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

Officially, 15F a few times, but I'm am seeing damage that indicates lower temperatures.

Lost a few in ground filibustas and damaged some in ground Sabal uresana.

• Like 1

19F. Hesperia, CA zone 8b.

• Like 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Measured 16f and 17f around a month apart in Jan & Feb.  

16f was the last night of 7 days that did not get above freezing (except for ~3 hours one afternoon got up to 34f).  

17f was 3 or 4 nights subfreezing but daytime temps well above freezing.  

I also learned that temps can vary 3-4 degrees across a hundred feet or so, depending on overhead cover, trees, exposure, etc. 

• Like 2

10f(-12.2c) at my house, 8f(13.3c) in the woods not far from my house,  16f(-8.8c) in areas of midtown/downtown Manhattan, 14f(-10c) in northern areas of Queens and Brooklyn, and a lot temps between 7f-15f(-13.8c to -9.4c) elsewhere in the city, due to the many microclimates.

December(9a-9b temps)was nice, January(8b-7b temps) was bad and February(8b-9a Temps) was mixed.

Edited by MonkeDonkezz
  • Like 1

Coldest was 17.1F briefly, but we had a few mornings of 18-20, and one 36 hour stretch of 22F, stubbornly 22F for the entire period with some rain, and ice in between.  I'm located in DFW area.

• Like 1

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

21F (-6C) in early February.  Accompanied by ice that hung around for 2 solid days.

• Like 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

Well the weather person stated 27f but I think it got a bit lower than that as multiple plants took a hit including, P. robebilini, Dicksonia antartica (surprising), B. alfredii,  Bambusa vulgaris ‘Wamin’, and even musa bajoo.

• Like 1

18f for Vashon Island, WA. Hoping for a milder winter this next season fingers crossed it at least stays over 20!

• Like 1

Coldest here was 19F for an hour or two one morning in January I believe. 

Mid 20s were frequent however through January. 

• Like 1

-2.2ºC or 28ºF, very unusually occurring in November.  The coldest we had otherwise was -0.9ºC in January - no frosts at all in the December, February or March (or April so far).

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

27°F (-2.7°C) at my home east of downtown Houston.  Grateful for a solid z9b winter after last year's disaster!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ryland said:

-2.2ºC or 28ºF, very unusually occurring in November.  The coldest we had otherwise was -0.9ºC in January - no frosts at all in the December, February or March (or April so far).

It’s really surprising just how mild Manchester can be up there at 53N, aided by the city’s UHI somewhat and also it’s proximity to the Irish Sea & Atlantic Ocean. While the most protected parts of central London didn’t drop below 0C / 32F, I went right down to -6C / 20F on a clear night back in January as I am out in the rural countryside with no UHI. I am quite far inland as well whereas most of London is a bit closer to the coast. No negative daytime temps here though. My coldest winter day still reached +3C / 38F. No snow either last winter. Overall a relatively mild and dry winter for us. 

• Like 3

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725