IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A suggestion

Than

I check this forum often looking for species data but sometimes I feel that the information people share here is of little practical value because we only share the minimum temperature a species has seen but how about next day's maximum? Knowing only the minimum doesn't help much to know the real hardiness of a palm. Some of you live in climates where it may get, say, 26F at night but then will reach a balmy 60 next afternoon. Whereas others will see 26F at night and then just 35F or even 32F next day. We all know that these two hypothetical situations would affect the same tree in totally different ways. So how about everyone shares not just the minimum their palms have experienced but also next day's maximum? That'd give us the complete picture. 

Edited by ego
  • Upvote 1

previously known as ego

I'll start by saying that my mango, avocado, dragon fruit and banana survived through this January. Very little frost damage, most leaves remained green. All are young plants.
(My date palms also survived but they can handle much colder temperatures, so that was expected)

Καταγραφή.PNG

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Victor G. said:

I'll start by saying that my mango, avocado, dragon fruit and banana survived through this January. Very little frost damage, most leaves remained green. All are young plants.
(My date palms also survived but they can handle much colder temperatures, so that was expected)

Καταγραφή.PNG

Bananas still green? All the bananas I see around are totally burnt 

• Upvote 1

previously known as ego

1 hour ago, Victor G. said:

Καταγραφή.PNG

This must be some very mild microclimate, since this winter damages on tropical fruiting plants have been recorded all over southern Peloponnese and the islands. Mango variety can be a crucial factor for the survival of a plant. My two plants of Keitt suffered a serious damage, despite they had been protected during the January snow storm. On the other hand another plant of Osteen variety has remained largely unaffected.

Καταγραφή.PNG

Αυτό το σκυλάκι στα Δικαστικά το ξέρεις;

Screenshot_20220330-153449_Maps.thumb.jpg.9c7f89991088e9f01ef7ddcb72052fd5.jpgScreenshot_20220330-153549_Maps.thumb.jpg.a103dadf0cc984fcae0b278847ef9735.jpg

@ego Yep banana has some brown leaves but not substancial damage. New ones popping out.

@Phoenikakias I do believe that Dikastika has a good microclimate (though I don't have enough weather data to prove it). The low temperatures are generally good, however the extreme wind keeps the high temperatures always down. My mango had the label "Gomera 3". When I asked in a mango growing group, noone knew this variety.

Since I'm very interested in mango growing, did you just protect them with a blanket or did you also use a heat source? And how low did it get in your place?

And... of course I know this dog! He's adorable! There's another one (Μπουμπού) that's kind of an asshole because she bites. But this one always comes inside out house to eat

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Victor G. said:

@ego Yep banana has some brown leaves but not substancial damage. New ones popping out.

@Phoenikakias I do believe that Dikastika has a good microclimate (though I don't have enough weather data to prove it). The low temperatures are generally good, however the extreme wind keeps the high temperatures always down. My mango had the label "Gomera 3". When I asked in a mango growing group, noone knew this variety.

Since I'm very interested in mango growing, did you just protect them with a blanket or did you also use a heat source? And how low did it get in your place?

And... of course I know this dog! He's adorable! There's another one (Μπουμπού) that's kind of an asshole because she bites. But this one always comes inside out house to eat

Billy και Alittlebit; Την Alittlebit την είχε κάποιος ελληνοαμερικανός φωτογράφος μόδας. 

20220330_162838.thumb.jpg.de82a588b877a9b0240e2199051595b9.jpg20220330_162901.thumb.jpg.1dba62c6e87f45821db0a9c11d316a01.jpg

Η αδερφή τους η θεια τους (αν ειναι απόγονοι) Monella.

• Like 1

@egoAnd so, your noble question get drowned it dog pictures... Ok, let's stop now! :floor:

DSC_0031.JPG

Το μαύρο στην ουρά είναι ισχυρό κληρονομικό γνώρισμα. Και εδω σταματάμε, απλα το family reunion για οποιοδηποτε είδος ειναι συγκινητικό...

20220330_165428.thumb.jpg.373e94d9abb9505fffb02f2acf7aaf24.jpg

• Like 1